Are you SIRIous?

wsuffa

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bill S.
Hmmmm.... No wonder ATT has revamped data prices - again.

Siri’s dirty little secret is that she’s a bandwidth guzzler, the digital equivalent of a 10-miles-per-gallon Hummer H1.

To make your wish her command, Siri floods your cell network with a stream of data; her responses require a similarly large flow in return. A study published this month by Arieso, an Atlanta firm that specializes in mobile networks, found that the Siri-equipped iPhone 4S uses twice as much data as does the plain old iPhone 4 and nearly three times as much as does the iPhone 3G. The new phone requires far more data than most other advanced smartphones, which are pretty data-intensive themselves, The Post has reported.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...vice-for-all/2012/01/23/gIQAZ1O5TQ_story.html

Hmmmm.... No wonder ATT has revamped data prices - again.

Don't believe the Bravo Sierra. These companies want you to think their cost of bandwidth is going up... it's not.

And Verizon has the 4S, too. No change to their executive bonuses ... ahem... data plan pricing for it. :)

This is one reason I'm not going to the iPhone any time soon. I have a 4 yr old berry with unlimited intl data plan grandfathered in. If I were to get an iPhone, I bet that would go away pretty fast. My berry doesn't do everything but I can surf just fine if I need it.

Haha, I use Sprint Unlimited Data and I pull down about 35-50 gigabytes a billing cycle. I just rooted my HTC Evo 3D phone and use the phone as a wireless hotspot for all my home computers and whatnot. I canceled my DSL home internet service.

Haha, I use Sprint Unlimited Data and I pull down about 35-50 gigabytes a billing cycle. I just rooted my HTC Evo 3D phone and use the phone as a wireless hotspot for all my home computers and whatnot. I canceled my DSL home internet service.

You may want to check that bill. Sprint went from Unlimited 4G to 5 GB limit with a $50 per gigabyte over fee. I quit Sprint over it in December.

You may want to check that bill. Sprint went from Unlimited 4G to 5 GB limit with a $50 per gigabyte over fee. I quit Sprint over it in December.

I have checked it since i monitor my usage and pay my bill online. No surprises. What service provider do you use now?

I have checked it since i monitor my usage and pay my bill online. No surprises. What service provider do you use now?

Just T-Mo through my phone now and ATT Uverse for home broadband(used to use Sprint).

The same kind of whining came out when the iPhones were introduced. We went from a rather clunky, geeks-only, WINCE/Windows Mobile thing (or special purposed clunky MMS phones) to something easy to use and order up all sort of data intensive things (maps, videos, geodata). If SIRI is running your data plan off the rails, turn it off.

I'm an early adopter so I still have the unlimited plan (of course I wouldn't put it past any of the providers to throttle even the pay-as-you-go users).

The same kind of whining came out when the iPhones were introduced. We went from a rather clunky, geeks-only, WINCE/Windows Mobile thing (or special purposed clunky MMS phones) to something easy to use and order up all sort of data intensive things (maps, videos, geodata). If SIRI is running your data plan off the rails, turn it off.

I'm an early adopter so I still have the unlimited plan (of course I wouldn't put it past any of the providers to throttle even the pay-as-you-go users).

Hmmmm, I had the first Siemens Pocket PC Phone Edition and I'll tell you what, the iPhone is not a great improvement and in some ways worse. The only thing that annoyed me with the PPCPEs was if I was sweating talking on the phone and the screen got damp, I had to wait for it to dry out before the touch alignment would get back squared up. It was a lot easier to deal with files on it than the iPhone, that's for sure.

I had a whole slew of windows phones prior to the iPhone. I wasn't arguing the overall usability (but I could if you want), but the fact that there just weren't that many data-intensive apps (hell, even the web browser blew chunks badly) on that platform. The iPhone and the Androids keep raising the bar for what you expect data transfer wise.

I had a whole slew of windows phones prior to the iPhone. I wasn't arguing the overall usability (but I could if you want), but the fact that there just weren't that many data-intensive apps (hell, even the web browser blew chunks badly) on that platform. The iPhone and the Androids keep raising the bar for what you expect data transfer wise.

But Windows was raising the bar as things developed as well. The Apple Newton was a far cry from an iPhone as, in fact, it was a hunk of s-t so great to make the PPC look like a marvel in comparison. My point is you can't compare different manufacturers & platforms by comparing different generations of equipment. The only thing I have found that Apple has going for it really is that they realize that 80% of people are stupid and design and market their products directly at the stupid.

But Windows was raising the bar as things developed as well. The Apple Newton was a far cry from an iPhone as, in fact, it was a hunk of s-t so great to make the PPC look like a marvel in comparison. My point is you can't compare different manufacturers & platforms by comparing different generations of equipment. The only thing I have found that Apple has going for it really is that they realize that 80% of people are stupid and design and market their products directly at the stupid.

I agree, I was just going from what was prevalent in the market BEFORE the iPhone became available. The point was that every generation increases the data needs. WinCE was sort of self limiting for the time, the iPhone opened up a wold of higher apps (and people griped that it was killing the network), now the SIRI (and perhaps some Android equivalents), increases the demand even more. Of course, the capacities also increase.

This is related to what I call "ron's rule." As computer speed, price, etc... make advances, so do people's expectations.

However having been a developer for Palm, WinCe/Windows Mobile, iPhone, and Android, I can tell you that WinCe was clearly the stupidest platform even for the time it was introduced.

I'm still not particularly pleased with any of the offerings, none of them "has it all" yet. Android is the best at this point IMO, but I have to carry a Motorcycle battery on my belt to give it a day's usefulness; that's for a phone, I can't wait to hear the reports on the Samsung 10.1 Galaxy.

How Bad Reporting Is Ruining The Washington Post

That's not news...

The Post is losing money. And if they continue the way they're headed it won't improve. And the more they become politically polarized, the more the audience they'll lose until the only folks that really care are the core.

Back