Are you safer flying IFR in VFR weather?

Yes, I am. I fly with Maui Jim's that I bought last year and I understand all their glasses are polarized. In addition, when I tilt them as you described, LCDs become completely black.

Sounds polarized all right.

That I can't say anything about because I know nothing about the problem. It seems like it makes a huge difference. But I haven't tried looking at the same plane with/without/without polarization. Maybe regular sunglasses would do just as well? It doesn't seem like that to me, but I'm not sure. What I have noticed, however, is that there aren't any spots on the canopy of the two planes I fly regularly (maybe it's because they're Beech-$$$ windshields? ;) )

I have seen visual artifacts looking through windshields with polarized glasses but the effect is often subtle or non-existent. WRT spotting airplanes, I think that certain spectral filters and light attenuation can enhance that ability but I doubt that polarization by itself is of any benefit there.

I have seen visual artifacts looking through windshields with polarized glasses but the effect is often subtle or non-existent. WRT spotting airplanes, I think that certain spectral filters and light attenuation can enhance that ability but I doubt that polarization by itself is of any benefit there.
That makes sense. They probably do those other things you mentioned with high-quality sunglasses. Those glasses are often polarized, so maybe it's a classical correlation vs causation issue...

In addition, some people are just better at spotting planes than others. I'm horrible at it. I've improved a lot since I bought polarized sunglasses, but I'm still not nearly as good as a non-pilot friend of mine. It just depends, and things like polarized glasses make a huge difference.

-Felix

Practice spotting until you get better...

Practice spotting until you get better...

I try to spot every airplane that shows up within 5nm on my traffic system but I have a pretty low percentage on anything more than a mile or two away even when I know where to look. Could be my aging eyes but I always get corrected to 20/20 according to my opthamologist.

(1) I feel safer at IFR altitudes above 10,000 feet. Fewer VFR only(s) wandering about maneuvering, not seeing. No true security, however.
(2) Nearly all the time IFR.

That makes sense. It also makes sense to have a twin.

(must get more students, must get a twin . . . . )

I file IFR on most cross country flights especially if in busier airspace. It doesnt really make me feel safer I just like being in the system. I was flying into Whiteman (just north of Burbank & Van Nuys) a couple of years ago and had already been cleared for the approach (we were in & out of IMC, mostly in) when the approach said "you have traffic 12 o'clock & 2 mi at same altitude and I'm not talking to them. I would suggest suggest heading XXX and descent to 4000 immediately". I did and thought to myself here I am cleared for the approach in IMC and some guy 2 mi away is VFR? Anyway after a minute or so approach says traffic no factor resume approach, so I did and remained mostly IMC down to 3000 or so. You just never know!

...man, twins are CHEAP now....!!

You can get a whole lot of plane for not a lot of money right now, that's for sure (example: me with my Aztec). Everything else still costs as much, but if it's something you wanted to buy anyway, now's the time! :yes:

Back