are you "in the system" with flight following?

Badger

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Badger
A friend likes to check FlightAware to see if I've been flying, etc.

question: will my flight show up if I request flight following on a VFR flight?

My guess is: NO

There are a couple of good threads on this already. The answer is that it is pretty random, but you do occasionally show up. There may be a few things you can do to increase the chance.

My experience matches your guess. No open flight plan (or no radar service) seems to mean no Flight Aware. I noticed this on my long X/C -- I filed a flight plan but didn't realize I had not formally opened it. Even with FF the whole way, the flight never showed up on FA.

There are a couple of good threads on this already. The answer is that it is pretty random, but you do occasionally show up. There may be a few things you can do to increase the chance.

thanks

A friend likes to check FlightAware to see if I've been flying, etc.

question: will my flight show up if I request flight following on a VFR flight?

My guess is: NO

If the controller enters your flight into the Flight Data Processing computer it will show up on FlightAware. If your flight is not entered it wont show up.

In my limited experience, it depends on what kind of code you get.

Around here (Philly), if your code starts with "0" that's a local code and you don't show up in Flightaware. Any other starting digit, you're "in the system" and show on Flightaware.

I don't think VFR flights show on FlightAware. I think only IFR flights show. On my last x-country flights I opened and activated a flight plan and used flight following and don't see any data regarding my flights.

I don't think VFR flights show on FlightAware. I think only IFR flights show. On my last x-country flights I opened and activated a flight plan and used flight following and don't see any data regarding my flights.

See above.

If the controller enters your flight into the Flight Data Processing computer it will show up on FlightAware. If your flight is not entered it wont show up.

Can you ask them to do this or is that rude? I'm about to embark on a Austin TX to Missoula MT flight and it would be nice to show up on FlightAware.

Can you ask them to do this or is that rude? I'm about to embark on a Austin TX to Missoula MT flight and it would be nice to show up on FlightAware.

If somebody in the airplane is able to accept an IFR clearance you can always do it that way. Then it would be a sure thing.

You can ask for anything, but there's no way to guarantee it. You can enter it yourself; enter an IFR flight plan through one of the internet services but put "VFR" in the altitude block.

If somebody in the airplane is able to accept an IFR clearance you can always do it that way. Then it would be a sure thing.

I believe jesse is rated :) but I'm not sure the airplane is current.

My experience is, my flights usually show up on FA, at least part of the way. It may well depend on whether the controller assigns me a local squawk code or one suitable for a handoff, I haven't watched closely enough to be sure. Sometimes on flights that do show up, fixes defining my route are mislocated by thousands of miles, but I doubt that's a VFR flight following vs IFR issue.

The method Steven gives is probably guaranteed to work, but listen closely to the controller on initial call up, since a few of them may mistakenly try to give you an IFR clearance. If you hear anything starting "Nxxxxx is cleared to...", be sure NOT to read it back, but remind them that you are VFR. :)

Is there any particular advantage to that, other than you get to look at a cool Flightaware track later on?

In my experience if I am worked by a Center, then it shows up on flightaware.

I was worked by Potomac Approach going from Bay Bridge W29 to Cecil County 58M. I showed up on flightaware, but I don't remember what I was squawking. I called for it in the air and filed my flight plan as a regular VFR plan (not IFR with VFR/XXX in the altitude block).

Especially when flying into certain airports in Nevada for instance.

Like the guy a few years ago from Southern California that was in Vegas with a young lady from his local FBO and she got hit by the prop. :hairraise: I don't think his wife tracked him on FA, but it's still best not to be tracked if you aren't where you are supposed to be. :nono:

I believe jesse is rated :) but I'm not sure the airplane is current.
As per your logbooks the airplane is legal. I'm also current and proficient on instruments in Bonanzas :)

The link above is pretty interesting. A couple of controllers were testing different scenarios to see if they could get a VFR flight to consistently show up and apparently they couldn't, even if it was in "the Machine".

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=85466

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo Tango
I put some flight plans in today and "departed them" with a software entry. the only ones that show up on flight aware were put in with a computer we dont usually enter VFR planes into (more key entries). i didnt get to experiment with any "real" planes, just some "phantom flights" today so it may work differently if the radar "acquires" them.

i was under the assumption that any NAS flight plan would show up, but that's been proven wrong. now i have to figure out why
mad.gif

If you only "DM"ed them I don't think flight aware will track that since the computer is not "tracking" anything. DMing without an actual track only allows automation to be updated down the line based on speed (if entered).

I am still under the same assumption as you are that any center flight plan will show up.

Track my RV7A!!
tkatcView Public ProfileSend a private message to tkatcFind all posts by tkatc
post_new.gif
04-23-2012, 10:48 PM
Echo Tango
user_offline.gif

icon1.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkatc
If you only "DM"ed them I don't think flight aware will track that since the computer is not "tracking" anything. DMing without an actual track only allows automation to be updated down the line based on speed (if entered).

I am still under the same assumption as you are that any center flight plan will show up.

i put two in today. one via FDIO, one via ARTS. The FDIO one showed as a proposal in FA, but didn't show as departed even though i DM'd it.

DM'd and initiated control on the ARTS plan, but obviously they didn't "acquire," like you said, which might be the issue here. i'm only curious because a previous post in the thread said the guy was talking to ZBQ and didn't show up on FA.

As per your logbooks the airplane is legal. I'm also current and proficient on instruments in Bonanzas :)

Ahh, on the gear box overhaul page dated 2012 but under a 2007 entry... I've read those logs at least 10 times and for some reason the static test didn't stick in my brain. Good catch. I guess there was more on my mind that a static check after reading through those logs :D

Last edited:
On the return flight from OSH my track showed up from the point I picked up Fight Following to the point over mid Wyoming were coverage was not available... Too bad it apparently didn't store the flight to OSH on 7-26....:dunno:...

Less then 6 hours.... non stop.... and landed with 15 gallons on board... I had a SMOKIN tailwind at 17,500 msl..;):yesnod:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N1175K/history/20120729/1614Z/FSD283014/KJAC

Here is my track for 7/27, a mighty feat for 172. http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N405FA

Actual trip flown was kcdk ->4a9 -> kjot -> 5k6 . This was the first time I was questioned why I was changing my destination, which clued me in that I maybe setup differently in the ATC for this trip. On initial callup, my destination was going to cross many centers, so that probably resulted in my flight going into the national system.

On the return flight from OSH my track showed up from the point I picked up Fight Following to the point over mid Wyoming were coverage was not available... Too bad it apparently didn't store the flight to OSH on 7-26....:dunno:...

Less then 6 hours.... non stop.... and landed with 15 gallons on board... I had a SMOKIN tailwind at 17,500 msl..;):yesnod:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N1175K/history/20120729/1614Z/FSD283014/KJAC

Funny, my flight to OSH made it into FA but my flight home did not. Had FF both times.

On my way home we had a code that began with zero but we were being worked by the various centers (Milwaukee, Chicago, Cleveland) up at 13,500'.

Funny, my flight to OSH made it into FA but my flight home did not. Had FF both times.
On my way home we had a code that began with zero but we were being worked by the various centers (Milwaukee, Chicago, Cleveland) up at 13,500'.

I think when you fly that high, and get worked by a Center you get put in the system. Altitude is the key I believe. What was your atltitude going, and where you with a Center or Approach?

I personally don't like the fact my flying tracks pop up in FA. Which is why I usually go without FF. IFR, sure I don't mind it, occupational hazard I guess. Every VFR flight where FF has been a player without exception has popped up in FA for me.

Can someone remind me of the callsign usage rules? I'm too lazy to look up the reg but I figure it couldnt be just as easy to use "nonayabznezz-six-niner" on my next departure right? I mean that would be up there with owner-experimental as to things that "NEVER GONNA HAPPEN!" right? :D

I personally don't like the fact my flying tracks pop up in FA. Which is why I usually go without FF. IFR, sure I don't mind it, occupational hazard I guess. Every VFR flight where FF has been a player without exception has popped up in FA for me.

Can someone remind me of the callsign usage rules? I'm too lazy to look up the reg but I figure it couldnt be just as easy to use "nonayabznezz-six-niner" on my next departure right? I mean that would be up there with owner-experimental as to things that "NEVER GONNA HAPPEN!" right? :D

If it's your aircraft you can sign up to have the data blocked if it bothers you that much.

Not sure what you're asking about callsigns.

Look up BARR if it's your plane. Otherwise, just use N12345 - Check FlightAware for that tail number, it's pretty hilarious - It's been everything from a C150 to jets and everything in between!

Due to the SFRA, we are forced to file. Inside the SFRA they show up pretty regularly. IF you leave then it's as above. On my XC to KRDU it was there, but wasn't on the return. I had FF both ways.

I think when you fly that high, and get worked by a Center you get put in the system. Altitude is the key I believe. What was your atltitude going, and where you with a Center or Approach?

On my way to OSH we were ultimately at 12,500' once we got out from under the clouds. Handed off by various approaches, yet made it into the system and thus FA.

On return we were at 13,500' from the word go, using centers only, and never made it into the system.

There is no rhyme or reason to it.

I've had a number of times also where the controller started with my abbreviated tail number (last three) and added "November" to the front of it on every call-up... I suspect there's a lot of aircraft that are typed in as a partial tail number if you're not leaving that controller's airspace. Technically, they're probably not supposed to do it, but how you know it's happening is if you ask for continued FF outside their airspace... "Uhhh, give me your full tail number and type again..." means they just had you on a local squawk code, and not in the flight plan computer... just tagged on the scope with the short version.

I've had a number of times also where the controller started with my abbreviated tail number (last three) and added "November" to the front of it on every call-up... I suspect there's a lot of aircraft that are typed in as a partial tail number if you're not leaving that controller's airspace. Technically, they're probably not supposed to do it, but how you know it's happening is if you ask for continued FF outside their airspace... "Uhhh, give me your full tail number and type again..." means they just had you on a local squawk code, and not in the flight plan computer... just tagged on the scope with the short version.

I am 99.999% sure that is the correct answer...:yesnod:

I had a number of dyslexic controllers yesterday coming back from Indy. They couldn't get my tail number correct if their life depended on it.

I had a number of dyslexic controllers yesterday coming back from Indy. They couldn't get my tail number correct if their life depended on it.

Might hunt down the LiveATC archives from any of the places you flew into/through/etc and just make sure it wasn't your radio...

I've done that before after a long flight of "say again?!" from too many people...

The controller has no control over whether you show up in flight aware or not. And he does not care. It's an automated system. A VFR flight following with ATC is not linked to a VfR flight plan filed with FSS. It makes no difference if a VFR flight plan was filed or activated.

Back