Are you flying less X-country?

I'll check out your place when I'm out that way, sounds cool.

I believe pilots that use the excuse of fuel being up a dollar or two per gallon have other real reasons for their substantially lower flying hours, not the least of which are the ones that are just so inately "cheap" and whiny (to the point of being low class) that aviation in any form, is better off without them.

This could also be titled "Where have all the pilots gone?"

As many of you know, my wife and I own the Midwest's only aviation themed, all-suites hotel, the Alexis Park Inn & Suites. For the last six years, we have worked to create the ultimate fly-in destination, with each suite celebrating a different era of aviation history. We're both pilots (and now our 17-year old son is, as well) -- and know exactly what *we* want (and rarely find) when we travel by GA, and have endeavored to provide it.

To that end, we provide things for pilots that most hotels wouldn't dream of offering. A free courtesy vehicle, for instance. (My insurance guy goes NUTS about that!) A full-sized flight simulator to practice approaches or landing in. Free aviation movies, wireless internet, hot tubs -- you name it, we've got it.

For the last six years, fly-in business has been steadily growing, although, quite frankly, fly-in pilots have always represented less than 5% of our guests. Still, in the summer months especially, this would climb to maybe 10 - 15%, as more and more pilots took their flying family vacations.

This year, so far, fly-ins are way down. Last week we had a couple of A&P mechanics who were working on a local Wilga restoration, and a couple who drove in (rather than fly) -- but our courtesy van isn't moving much. It's getting depressing.

Our FBO reported his business last quarter was down a whopping 50%, which seems to jive with what we're seeing. Thankfully, we're having our best year, ever (obviously the aviation theme is popular with non-pilots) -- but if we had to rely on our fly-in guests we'd be out of business.

Mary and I have continued to travel by personal aircraft (we just returned from a 7-day flight to Texas and all points in between), and plan on attending OSH again this year -- but it *is* becoming harder as gas prices have soared.

So let's have it: Are you flying fewer cross country flights? Are you planning on taking any flying vacations this year, or are you sitting it out to see what happens with fuel prices?

I believe pilots that use the excuse of fuel being up a dollar or two per gallon have other real reasons for their substantially lower flying hours, not the least of which are the ones that are just so inately "cheap" and whiny (to the point of being low class) that aviation in any form, is better off without them.
Yeah, watch it, Dave. I recall once on the old red board when I was roundly chastised for suggesting to a poster that he might want to find a cheaper hobby. He was looking for a place to download sectionals for free because he didn't want to pay the $6.95 per cycle for his local chart.

Yeah, watch it, Dave. I recall once on the old red board when I was roundly chastised for suggesting to a poster that he might want to find a cheaper hobby. He was looking for a place to download sectionals for free because he didn't want to pay the $6.95 per cycle for his local chart.

I do believe we're seeing the end of grass-roots aviation in America, much as we've already seen it die all 'round the world. I know the cost of fuel has pushed the guys at the bottom right over the edge, and we rarely see them anymore flying in for a getaway weekend in a hot tub suite.

What do I mean by "the bottom"? I mean the early-middle-aged couples who flew their Cherokee 180 or Cessna 172 in for the weekend. We still see the couples in their TBM-850s, or a Cirrus SR-22 -- but those are NOT "bottom end" pilots. Those planes cost between $700K and $2 million, which can hardly be classified as "grass roots".

It's sad. I'd gladly help those guys save $7 for a sectional chart, if it meant we'd see them in the sky again.

I'm hopeful that things will turn around over time, as the economy adjusts to $5/gallon gas -- but we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

My total hours this year are down from last year a little bit so far, but I was doing my IR, so if you set that aside I'm actually up. My XC time is definitely up.....that's about all I do. If I'm flying, I'm going somewhere. About the only local flying I am doing is practice approaches for proficiency.

So far, I'm not letting the increased fuel prices scare me away.

As a flight instructor I fly quite a few cross-countries <g> but I will say that the FBO I teach out of is consistently busy. Although the owner has had to raise wet Hobbs rate for our aircraft, my former students who are now pilots, still come out to fly quite often. Two of my students already have their own plane and are flying extensively, despite the fuel costs.

I don't think aviation ever has been inexpensive by any stretch of the imagination, but like with most things that are important to us; we find ways to 'adjust our budget' to accomodate our passion.

BTW, I hadn't been over to RAS for a long while (too many spammers/and worse) partly because I'm flying just about 6 days a week as an instructor, but also the poor forum just got overun with trolls, etc.. I just peeked quickly this morning and saw Dudley's post about the existence of this new forum. So far, very pleased! Good work to whomever set this up! I'll try to visit as often as time allows. It's good to see old familiar names as well, again! :)

BTW, I hadn't been over to RAS for a long while (too many spammers/and worse) partly because I'm flying just about 6 days a week as an instructor, but also the poor forum just got overun with trolls, etc.. I just peeked quickly this morning and saw Dudley's post about the existence of this new forum. So far, very pleased! Good work to whomever set this up! I'll try to visit as often as time allows. It's good to see old familiar names as well, again! :)
Cecil, Welcome to the board!

I wish I knew about your place a month ago. I was passing through and would have been glad to support. And no. I've been flying more x-country.

Back