Are you a charismatic CFI?

I'm pretty sure the female ATC controllers would not give you any clearance and would be pretty mean to you overall. I heard about them and what they used to do to guys that called them "sweetheart."

One of the great misconceptions about dealing with any ATC is that they are the boss, they are not. The guy driving the airplane is the final authority in all matters.

A pilot can create serious problems for herself/himself by ignoring ATC instructions and advisories, after all, that is what they are there for, but they are not the final authority.

Nobody should ever feel uncomfortable making radio contact with any ATC station. They are there as support for pilots, they work for us.

If you do not know the exact lingo, it is ATCs responsibility to figure out what it is you want. If you do not understand an instruction, your only responsibility is to make it clear you do not understand, no matter how long it might take. It is ATCs responsibility to make themselves understood, irregardless of the pilots radio competence.

It certainly helps all concerned when a pilot knows how to communicate, but while a flight is in progress, the boss is the pilot.

-John

There is a word that starts with "c" that I would use to describe the CFIs on this board, but it most definitely isn't "charismatic".
I suspect if you had to describe me with a c word it'd go down about like this:
Jesse is capable
Jesse is careful
Jesse is caring
Jesse is charming
Jesse is cheerful
Jesse is chipper
Jesse is clean
Jesse is clever
Jesse is comforting
Jesse is complimentary
Jesse is creative
Jesse is cultured
Jesse is cunning
Jesse is cool
Jesse is courageous
Jesse is classy
Jesse is cheery
Jesse is confident
Jesse is crafty
Jesse is cute
Jesse is captivating
Jesse is comprehensive
Jesse is considerate
Jesse is calm
Jesse is combustable?
...I can keep going

One of the great misconceptions about dealing with any ATC is that they are the boss, they are not. The guy driving the airplane is the final authority in all matters.

A pilot can create serious problems for herself/himself by ignoring ATC instructions and advisories, after all, that is what they are there for, but they are not the final authority.

Nobody should ever feel uncomfortable making radio contact with any ATC station. They are there as support for pilots, they work for us.

If you do not know the exact lingo, it is ATCs responsibility to figure out what it is you want. If you do not understand an instruction, your only responsibility is to make it clear you do not understand, no matter how long it might take. It is ATCs responsibility to make themselves understood, irregardless of the pilots radio competence.

It certainly helps all concerned when a pilot knows how to communicate, but while a flight is in progress, the boss is the pilot.

-John

Oh trust me, I know. You should have heard me with them last time. I was super on edge, due to a 3 hour flight filled with turbulence, I wasn't keeping my heading or altitude, then I entered the Bay Area, and they started asking me questions and telling me what to do. All this time, I'd planned my flight to stay OUT OF THEIR WAY and fly under their air spaces. Or around them. I just wanted to get home. At one point, near San Jose (Class C) they said "do you want the East route or the West route"? With crappy weather, low-ish cloud ceilings, and my overall cranky attitude, I actually keyed up the mic and said "THERE ARE MOUNTAINS ON MY LEFT."

I wasn't doing anything wrong, and was going to insist on my flight plan (on my kneeboard), if at all possible. I was thrown off by all this talk, I thought I could just fly home like I always do. I knew I was "the boss."

There is a word that starts with "c" that I would use to describe the CFIs on this board, but it most definitely isn't "charismatic".

Steingar, you are so full of contempt for the CFI's. Must be that you are smarter than all of them. They should just give you a waiver so you can self endorse. Then you wouldn't have to be bothered by any of them anymore.:rofl:

I suspect if you had to describe me with a c word it'd go down about like this:
Jesse is capable
Jesse is careful
Jesse is caring
Jesse is charming
Jesse is cheerful
Jesse is chipper
Jesse is clean
Jesse is clever
Jesse is comforting
Jesse is complimentary
Jesse is creative
Jesse is cultured
Jesse is cunning
Jesse is cool
Jesse is courageous
Jesse is classy
Jesse is cheery
Jesse is confident
Jesse is crafty
Jesse is cute
Jesse is captivating
Jesse is comprehensive
Jesse is considerate
Jesse is calm
Jesse is combustable?
...I can keep going

"Cute"?????? I've never heard a man describe himself as "cute". That is really, really, odd. :rofl:

-John

Back