Are we the only country that builds planes?

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
I ask tongue in cheek but every time they show:
"Female UAE Pilot", "more countries supporting the US",etc...

They are all flying F16s. Do we just give those things away?

I'm sure we give some away, but we also sell a lot. Reasons include the fact that they are great fighters, and the fact that we make a lot of them, and the fact that when they need spare parts, they can be pretty certain that we will still be around.

Now, I'll sit back and listen to the comments of people that might actually know something about the topic.

There are some European countries that build aircraft as well e.g., the Eurofighter, Rafales, Tornado, Mirage, Gripen.

China builds some, the Russians of course, and I believe Japan developed one as well.

But by in large we produce and sell the most fighter aircraft. F-15s F-16s eventually the F-35s

No, many do. But we are the ones that taught them how to drill for oil. We buy most of their oil. We supply oil drilling and production equipment to them . Before this, not so many years ago, they wandered the desert on camels with a tent and a few rugs. Today , they get degrees from American Ivy League schools and drive rolls Royce's. Several of our presidents , also in the oil business are very close to them , too close. We get some money back from arms sales but not nearly enough. They also produced the people who caused 9-11, and many of the people causing the trouble in the Mideast today.

Last edited:
Actually, China buys more of their oil than we do.

edit to add sitation:
http://news.yahoo.com/why-china-stays-islamic-state-fight-now-131949876.html
The Asian giant’s economy depends on the Middle East for half its imported energy. China now imports more oil from the region than the United States does,

No, many do. But we are the ones that taught them how to drill for oil. We buy most of their oil. We supply oil drilling and production equipment to them . Before this, not so many years ago, they wandered the desert on camels with a tent and a few rugs. Today , they get degrees from American Ivy League schools and drive rolls Royce's. Several of our presidents , also in the oil business are very close to them , too close. We get some money back from arms sales but not nearly enough. They also produced the people who caused 9-11, and many of the people causing the trouble in the Mideast today.

Last edited:
If I were to count the number of countries I know that build airplanes, I could probably list a couple dozen off the top of my head.

But a smaller number build engines, particularly for GA aircraft.

I ask tongue in cheek but every time they show:
"Female UAE Pilot", "more countries supporting the US",etc...

Maybe it's a good strategy to sell them our fighters. Then we know the capabilities of those countries if/when they are fighting against us. :dunno: :)

Maybe it's a good strategy to sell them our fighters. Then we know the capabilities of those countries if/when they are fighting against us. :dunno: :)

We sell these country's fighters to try and recoup some of the horrendous losses the taxpayer incurs from phoney overruns, overcharges, etc. the defense dept. along with its lobbyists needs a real housecleaning. We also control the parts supply and the usual modus operondi is to not give them our latest electronic warfare updates which are our real ace in the hole. ( the F35 being a classic example, a classic snafu!)

We also control the parts supply and the usual modus operondi is to not give them our latest electronic warfare updates which are our real ace in the hole.

:yeahthat:

The F-16s we give/sell them are not the same as the ones we fly. If you look they are different versions(UAE flies the E/F model which was developed specifically for them). I know for a fact the Japanese F-16s & F-15s are not the same. When the US allows foreign military sales, we do it with our best interests in mind. Example: Sell them some fighters, and we get use of their military bases. *Disclaimer: my personal opinion*

There are some European countries that build aircraft as well e.g., the Eurofighter, Rafales, Tornado, Mirage, Gripen.

If you're willing to include smaller jets, then India builds LCA, Italy worked with Russians to start M-346. Brazil and Korea are perpetually on the cusp of domestic combat jets. Brazil is currently making a turboprop low-threat CAS that they import into U.S. as A-26.

China builds some, the Russians of course, and I believe Japan developed one as well.

If you're talking about T-2, then it basically was an F-16 with a larger wing. It was a program similar to Korean T-50 and Taiwanese IDF.

Japanese were trying to drag their 5th gen along, but I'm pretty sure they'll never complete it.

China and Russia are the only two countries left that are plugging at the high-profile jet fighters nowaday, outside of U.S.. Even Euros gave up, for now at least.

Yes but who sets the price of a barrel of oil ? Hint- rhymes with OPEC.
Only when the demand exceeds the supply. And even then, Opec's clout is diminishing as more and more oil is extracted in non-opec countries.

As to Jimmy's answer, sure, we bought more of their oil than anyone in the past. But that is no longer true. And in the real world, especially in the middle east, it is not just "what have you done for me lately", it is more like "what are you going to do for me tomorrow".

Chances are one of the main reasons we see US fighters when foreign pilot stories are published in newspapers is because that sells more papers in the US than stories about foreign pilots flying French, British, or Chinese fighters. I'll bet that a similar story in a French newspaper would feature French fighters.

Chances are one of the main reasons we see US fighters when foreign pilot stories are published in newspapers is because that sells more papers in the US than stories about foreign pilots flying French, British, or Chinese fighters. I'll bet that a similar story in a French newspaper would feature French fighters.

Hadn't thought of that.
Great point!

When it comes to the UAE, the ones flying the French Mirage 2000s are the "B" team. Seen it first hand :rofl: The F-16 drivers paid their dues and the more senior pilots.

Only when the demand exceeds the supply. And even then, Opec's clout is diminishing as more and more oil is extracted in non-opec countries.

As to Jimmy's answer, sure, we bought more of their oil than anyone in the past. But that is no longer true. And in the real world, especially in the middle east, it is not just "what have you done for me lately", it is more like "what are you going to do for me tomorrow".

" in the real world" one must consider that the bush family, both george h.w. And little bush are very very close to the Saudis. They are both " in the same business......oil". The Saudis , although they were responsible for the people who attacked us on 9-11 ,within hours, the benladin family was allowed to leave the United States without questioning. Saudi leaders often visited both bush family's here in the U.S. And were spoken of "as family". The Saudis get their drilling equipment and expertise from the U.S. That's reality.

They're on to me. Now it is Kurdish & F-18s :)

999933312502.jpg

Maybe, but I doubt they have pilots maintaining proficiency in multiple fighters. I suspect that would be a recipe for disaster.

:yeahthat:

The F-16s we give/sell them are not the same as the ones we fly. If you look they are different versions(UAE flies the E/F model which was developed specifically for them). I know for a fact the Japanese F-16s & F-15s are not the same. When the US allows foreign military sales, we do it with our best interests in mind. Example: Sell them some fighters, and we get use of their military bases. *Disclaimer: my personal opinion*

Yep, the E/F is only for the UAE because we can't afford them. Too bad they are worlds better than any 16's we have. (They still only have one motor so therefore are inferior by default... :) )

Poland bought 48 of F16s, they had to pay for them. I bet UAE paid too. Egypt probably got them out of the $3 bln (or whatever the latest figure is) annual assistance.

Maybe, but I doubt they have pilots maintaining proficiency in multiple fighters. I suspect that would be a recipe for disaster.
I didn't mean to imply that, but rather was pointing out that the news media in our (or any) country tends to focus on what their main audience wants to hear about.

Back