Are these aerobatic rated?

Rated or not I wouldn't want to try. A friend's uncle has one and he (the uncle) says it's a real POS design intended to last about 500 hours of actual use.

lancefisher said:
Rated or not I wouldn't want to try. A friend's uncle has one and he (the uncle) says it's a real POS design intended to last about 500 hours of actual use.

Lance-

I know nothing about the type, but this would surprise me for this particular plane, as Screaming Eagle is generally known to sell only pretty nice birds.

Challenging part might be flying it out of Santa Paula, as the airport is down to a short restricted runway after a large chunk washed into the river earlier this year. Owner might be willing to cut a pretty good deal.

Jeff

Jeff Oslick said:
Lance-

I know nothing about the type, but this would surprise me for this particular plane, as Screaming Eagle is generally known to sell only pretty nice birds.

Challenging part might be flying it out of Santa Paula, as the airport is down to a short restricted runway after a large chunk washed into the river earlier this year. Owner might be willing to cut a pretty good deal.

Jeff

I was shown the airplane in the hangar (I hope I'm not confusing it with another brand/model) and many seemingly important pieces were held on with wood screws! Where bolts were used, there were no bushings in the wood where the bolts pass through so the tension on the bolt would vary with the moisture in the wood. He showed me many other "features" that were pretty mickey mouse that I can't remember. Now it's possible that these issues were addressed in later models but I didn't get that impression from him. The airplane in the picture certainly looks sharp and well equipped, but it the underlying airframe design is the same as my friend's uncle's I wouldn't go near one.

Where bolts were used, there were no bushings in the wood where the bolts pass through so the tension on the bolt would vary with the moisture in the wood.

Lance, I think this might be standard practice for wood construction. You have to keep the bolts up with wood as it shrinks or else it will all become loose. The straps on my wingspars (attach to carry through at other end) have no bushings, neither the gear attach. It is something we check regularily, but if the moisture is not changing, there is nothing to do most times.

Back