Are there any FAA Medication Databases that don't require AOPA membership

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Does anyone know of an FAA Medication Database that doesn't require a membership to AOPA or other aviation alphabet organization?

Had a routine physical today and as we reviewed my medications and flying, I happened onto the thought that my doctor really should be made aware of any easy to find/search FAA medication database.

He is the type that very much wants patient's participation in improving his practice and welcome's ideas and input such as a link to a helpful resource.

If I know @AggieMike88 he isn’t asking about s particular drug, he’s trying to extend his already excellent document for new pilots about how to PROPERLY go about navigating the medical system for the first time.

I already want to use a copy of his doc for new students someday if I can get back to teaching, with appropriate credit of course, in a very large font with much appreciation.

It’s one of the better docs I’ve seen on the topic.

@denverpilot Nate, I know it’s not your highest priority right now, but you can still do flight reviews and aircraft checkouts and even teach commercial student without your medical, as long as they are able to act as PIC and you don’t put them under the hood. Ground instruction too. We need people willing to share the knowledge you have.

Sorry for the thread drift Mike.

@denverpilot .... actually I did need to know about a medication my doc said might be needed if diet and exercise over next 8 weeks doesn’t cut mustard.

And I am working on next iteration of the “what should you know at the beginning” document. I’ll share with you and others once I’m happy with it.

PS I do hope you get back to flying and teaching status. All these years of knowing each other and we have yet to share the same instrument panel. Need to fix that.

https://www.aviationmedicine.com/medication-database/

The AME should also refer to his Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners pharmaceuticals section.
Yeah...everytime a doc prescribes a new med for me, I have 2-4 doctors I need to contact to see if I can take it. Podiatrist just did a new anti-inflammatory. Dr B and Dr L both confirmed no problem as long as I didn't have any reaction. Ok, that's 1 category down. Now for my GP to see if it's ok with the other med - fine there, too. Ah, forgot the nephrologist, since I had 1 kidney stone (that no one ever found) back in '14, so ibuprofen is verboten without her ok. Yep, got the ok on that this morning.

Sucks getting older. But it is inevitable.

As for Mike's doc....perhaps Dr B and Dr L will write the introduction?

Yeah...everytime a doc prescribes a new med for me, I have 2-4 doctors I need to contact to see if I can take it. Podiatrist just did a new anti-inflammatory. Dr B and Dr L both confirmed no problem as long as I didn't have any reaction. Ok, that's 1 category down. Now for my GP to see if it's ok with the other med - fine there, too. Ah, forgot the nephrologist, since I had 1 kidney stone (that no one ever found) back in '14, so ibuprofen is verboten without her ok. Yep, got the ok on that this morning.

Sucks getting older. But it is inevitable.

As for Mike's doc....perhaps Dr B and Dr L will write the introduction?

That’s way too much work. Talk to a pharmacist and they’ll answer all of that without that many phone calls. LOL.

@denverpilot Nate, I know it’s not your highest priority right now, but you can still do flight reviews and aircraft checkouts and even teach commercial student without your medical, as long as they are able to act as PIC and you don’t put them under the hood. Ground instruction too. We need people willing to share the knowledge you have.

Sorry for the thread drift Mike.

I’m aware. Have someone asking about a
Flight Review right now also.

Just trying to decide if the hands are okay enough to do that. The drugs that are disqualifying throws a liability question into it also, both from the aircraft standpoint and also the instructional quality standpoint.

Since I’m not quite yet at a static state yet on the drugs or the infusions and such, I’m avoiding doing anything right now that might be a business liability risk.

I also wonder a touch about doing anything with a “known deficiency that would be disqualifying” and haven’t had time to think that through all the way yet.

Someone else is PIC and I’m on board, I’m not going to not be named in the lawsuit, if you know what I mean.

Don’t really want a jury of morons making Karen a poor widow, if the worst were to happen, even if it wasn’t my fault. Ya know?

Fear not - I'm sure someone would come along to make her a rich widow. ;)

Hahaha. I have always told her she should have married up instead of down. :)

Must admit, I finally found a medical malady that she didn’t just peer over her glasses at me and tell me to quit being a baby about, though! Hahaha.

Might have overdone it a bit, seeing what it would take to get her attention. Nurses are particularly disinterested in your sniffles at home, and just tell you to stay away from them if you have the flu.

Central nervous system stuff though? I actually got a rise out of her work that one!

Sometimes it sucks to be an overachiever. Hahahaha. :)

Mike, owning you own medical does require small sums of $$s......
Agree.

But like many primary physicians, he has very few as patients and even fewer of those willing to share with him the details of FAA medical certification. My hope is by providing the link to a meds database, he is better equipped to determine what the FAA has to say about a medication than before he met me.

Unfortunately the do not fly list doesn't include the ones that will require a special issuance. Just the ones that are in and of themselves not approved. And four of the antidepressives on that list, DO get approved.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back