Are solar flares disrupting GPS?

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/20...pid=ema:nws:Daily%20Newsletter%20(10-27-2014)

The biggest sunspot on the face of the sun in more than two decades unleashed a major flare on Friday (Oct. 24), the fourth intense solar storm from the active star in less than a week.

The solar flare occurred Friday afternoon, reaching its peak at 5:41 p.m. EDT (2141 GMT), and triggered a strong radio blackout at the time, according to the U.S. Space Weather Prediction Center.

Harmful radiation from a flare cannot pass through Earth's atmosphere to physically affect humans on the ground, however -- when intense enough -- they can disturb the atmosphere in the layer where GPS and communications signals travel.

I flew on Friday afternoon. For the very first time, I actually flew the purple line.
I am glad I did not experience any GPS satellite outage because I would have most likely crashed (probably into an orphanage).
Or at least if the GPS screen did go blank, I could have switched to Netflix or something to keep me from looking outside at the gorgeous fluffy white clouds and towns on the ground.

Art, what kind of business are you in? Exporting/importing, by any chance?

Canada and Alaska have had loss of LPV, LPV200, and LP service for significant periods of time. There has been some loss in the northern CONUS. Basic RNP 0.3 service has not been interrupted.

Back