Are People Really This Stupid?

Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
On the news today people were speculating the missing 777 was probably okay because when they called the cell phones of the missing people the phone rang! They could hear them ringing when they call so they must be on land somewhere.

It would be news if someone answered, not that the phones rang when you call them.

Doesn't every one know when you call a phone you can hear it ring even if it is shut off?

:mad2:

The other day Google told people not to use Google Earth to search for the miyussing plane. Apparently people were reporting photos of airplanes as the missing flight.

Doesn't every one know when you call a phone you can hear it ring even if it is shut off?
Usually, when the phone is turned off, the call will go straight to voicemail or a message that the phone is not available without any ringtone. That is not 100% the case, but it is generally true.

Looking for a plane with dated Google earth images?

Now that's stupid.

The stupidity of my fellow humans knows no bounds, and no longer surprises me . . . . . :goofy:

Not understanding the law of percentages is pretty stupid too. If 300 people disappear then a percentage of family members who may or may not understand technology will hold out hope against hope that good news will follow.

To mock that guaranteed percentage shows...well, you decide what that shows.

Here's your sign......Literally, here's your sign you showed: :mad2:

All of the cell phones I have owned over the years all went to either voice mail or said not receiving calls if turned off.

How many of us have lost our cell phone and called it, hoping to find it, to find its off and just sent you to voice mail.

Tony

All of the cell phones I have owned over the years all went to either voice mail or said not receiving calls if turned off.

How many of us have lost our cell phone and called it, hoping to find it, to find its off and just sent you to voice mail.

Tony

Except when traveling abroad, when it's anyone's guess how it will act when roaming on someone else's network ...

So, what I read is that when you call a cellphone, the phone has to be located on the network before it can be rung. Sometimes this takes awhile (people traveling abroad for instance).

While the phone is being sought on the network, you hear ringing otherwise you would think nothing is happening. So you may hear 4-5 rings but the recipient only hears 2 if it takes some time to locate the phone.

If your phone is off and easily located, you might hear it go straight to voicemail. If it is not easily located, you may hear a few rings as it is being located.

I know nothing about cellphone technology but I read or heard that somewhere yesterday and it would explain why they were hearing the rings.

This missing plane is getting weirder every day. I assume it is in the bottom of the ocean but watching how the news is running wild with it makes my head spin.

My favorite CNN headline so far "Could missing plane have been hit by a meteor?"
I guess. Yeah but it is probably a billion times more likely it was hit by the earth

...and they breed. A lot.
Even worse, the government has a program where these people can get FREE PHONES!!! IF they are on a government welfare program. CELLPHONE WITH TEXT? Even I don't have that.
Stupidity knows no bounds.

While the phone is being sought on the network, you hear ringing otherwise you would think nothing is happening. So you may hear 4-5 rings but the recipient only hears 2 if it takes some time to locate the phone.

This is absolutely true. You can test it easily enough. Call a phone sitting nearby. You will hear two rings (at least) before the other phone rings.

Now try it calling a phone that does not have voice mail. Call one that is turned off. Call one that does not have serve but is turned on. What happens depends on a lot of factors. So it is possible that people did hear rings. But, of course, it means nothing conclusive.

They are not idiots, however, merely uninformed and very, very in denial mode that their loved ones are dead. Give them a break.

This is absolutely true. You can test it easily enough. Call a phone sitting nearby. You will hear two rings (at least) before the other phone rings.

Now try it calling a phone that does not have voice mail. Call one that is turned off. Call one that does not have serve but is turned on. What happens depends on a lot of factors. So it is possible that people did hear rings. But, of course, it means nothing conclusive.

They are not idiots, however, merely uninformed and very, very in denial mode that their loved ones are dead. Give them a break.
The "ringing" (ringback tone) that the calling party hears is not generated by the called phone.

The "ringing" (ringback tone) that the calling party hears is not generated by the called phone.

As stated previously "While the phone is being sought on the network, you hear ringing otherwise you would think nothing is happening."

Looking for a plane with dated Google earth images?

Now that's stupid.

True story....
The original owner of our company, a pretty bright guy, and brilliant (think Asberger's) railroad guy, was watching over my shoulder one day as I was measuring some track distances with Google Earth. There happened to be a train on that particular track at the time the images were taken. by coincidence.
The imagery was a couple of years old, and the accident we were investigating had occurred about a day earlier.
The train in the photo had 20 or so fewer cars/locomotives on it than the accident train.
I kid you not, it took 10 minutes of explanation as to why it was not "our train".

Looking at the Google earth has, so far, yielded as much useful information as listening to the experts.

True story....
The original owner of our company, a pretty bright guy, and brilliant (think Asberger's) railroad guy, was watching over my shoulder one day as I was measuring some track distances with Google Earth. There happened to be a train on that particular track at the time the images were taken. by coincidence.
The imagery was a couple of years old, and the accident we were investigating had occurred about a day earlier.
The train in the photo had 20 or so fewer cars/locomotives on it than the accident train.
I kid you not, it took 10 minutes of explanation as to why it was not "our train".

Must have been a CSX roadmaster. I've known a couple.

Or, instead of calling people stupid, you could go here and search the imagery:

http://www.tomnod.com/nod/

It is fresh images taken after the plane went missing by DigitalGlobe specifically to help people search for the plane.

True story....

Next time just point out to him at the bottom of the screen where it says "image taken on"

If he doesn't get it, well then, like a member said the other day, 'not all the baby turtles make it to the ocean and that's .o.k.' :rolleyes::redface:

Back