Are PC Flight Simulators a great way to get teens and young adults into aviation?

No Flight is still a thing even though ACES was canned. Just not what most pilots consider a true simulator.
No, they cancelled Flight.

From the wikipeds:
On July 25, 2012 Microsoft announced it had cancelled further development of Microsoft Flight, citing that this was part of "the natural ebb and flow" of application management. Reviewers indicated that sales may have been slow due to competition from other products, such as X-Plane.
Which is really ironic considering the fact that X-Plane had traditionally been the "little guy" against Microsoft for so long.

well, lets take a look at the post that came after yours:

does this sound like someone who is motivated by the game to go out and practice airspeed control in a piper tomahawk ?

Yes...

well, lets take a look at the post that came after yours:

does this sound like someone who is motivated by the game to go out and practice airspeed control in a piper tomahawk ?

I did my initial training in a C-152, my instrument training in PA-28's, and I practice my airspeed control in a M20J. :D

I've never flown a Tomahawk but it's "reputation" doesn't really intimidate me. I've done spins in a Citabria.

Three types of line boys:

Those that don't have anything to do, do nothing.
Those that don't have anything to do, find something that needs done.
Those that don't have anything to do, play flight simulator on the airport computer.

I've played with msfs some, but never really that interested in it. A 727 cockpit visit when I was a kid on vacation with my parents really sparked my interest. I checked out a stack of aviation books from the library when we came home. I don't think young adults are much interested in airplanes today because it isn't a cell phone and they can't text with an airplane.

I checked out a stack of aviation books from the library when we came home.

Okay I'm lost. A book is that thingy that's like a kindle right? And a library is that thingy that's kinda like a free Amazon right?

:rofl:

I think if there was a way to remove or minimize the danger of flying it would be difficult to find someone who wouldn't at least try it once. Sims provide some of the thrill without any of the risk, so they're fun. I don't think sim flying necessarily translates to the real thing. Fear, I think is a huge factor. Some people just can't fathom being 1300 feet in the air in a space the size of a car interior.

And most consider it even worse to be at 13000 feet, thinking they'll fall farther when the engine quits. :mad2:

Okay I'm lost. A book is that thingy that's like a kindle right? And a library is that thingy that's kinda like a free Amazon right?

:rofl:

Exactly! From the pre Google days. Funny, I was looking for a number in a 5yr old phone book the other day when my internet went down. Blow the dust off of it...gee it is way too hard to find something in here.

I think if there was a way to remove or minimize the danger of flying it would be difficult to find someone who wouldn't at least try it once. Sims provide some of the thrill without any of the risk, so they're fun. I don't think sim flying necessarily translates to the real thing. Fear, I think is a huge factor. Some people just can't fathom being 1300 feet in the air in a space the size of a car interior.

Remove the high cost of flying and it would really attract new pilots.

$10k for just your private plus $100/hr after that. Take that 10k and buy a nice snowmobile... weekends of fun for years, and you can sell it and get money out of it. The cost of flying is the biggest turn off I think.

Remove the high cost of flying and it would really attract new pilots.

$10k for just your private plus $100/hr after that. Take that 10k and buy a nice snowmobile... weekends of fun for years, and you can sell it and get money out of it. The cost of flying is the biggest turn off I think.

Money can be a factor, but no amount of money will change the fear that some have of falling out of the sky.

If they are too realistic, NO. Too much work. Something like XPlane on an iPad, might be fun.

Back