Are FAA part 121 ground incidents on the rise?

AviationObserver

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
AviationObserver
Seems like reports of ground incidents -- towing mishaps and vehicles vs aircraft -- are on the rise lately. Is this truly an increase in the rate of such events, or are these just getting more attention now?

hhttps://twitter.com/aviationbrk/status/1779977797944951047

VA-vs-Vehicle.jpg

Seems like reports of ground incidents -- towing mishaps and vehicles vs aircraft -- are on the rise lately. Is this truly an increase in the rate of such events, or are these just getting more attention now?

hhttps://twitter.com/aviationbrk/status/1779977797944951047

View attachment 127909
Not his fault! The Gategourmet driver couldn't possibly have seen that engine through his windshield before hitting it. (we'll just call this the Alec Baldwin defense)

I know, the article says the car rolled into the engine. The driver should have used the parking brake when parking on something as hilly as that ramp.

Reactions: cdb
I’m not sure but there does seem to be a lot more vehicle traffic in and around the aircraft when flying commercial than there used to be 10 or 15 years ago. You used to only see luggage carts, fuel trucks and catering driving around. Now there seems to be all sorts of random cars and trucks with yellow flashing lights moving around the ramp areas. More vehicles would make the chance of an incident go up.

Now that everyone has a cell phone camera,coupled with the internet,it’s more difficult to hide accidents.

More attention. Everyone carries a camera with them 24/7, things get posted to social media, network media trolls social media for dirt. I've been in the industry for almost two decades, and its always happened just no one found out.

Not his fault! The Gategourmet driver couldn't possibly have seen that engine through his windshield before hitting it. (we'll just call this the Alec Baldwin defense)

I know, the article says the car rolled into the engine. The driver should have used the parking brake when parking on something as hilly as that ramp.
Or on level ground. Park, plus parking brake, always.

In the early 2000s I worked as a bag chucker for a regional airline. The training was excellent.

The ONLY vehicle that could ever be pointed directly at an aircraft was a belt loader (Food service was a third party vendor and fuel was from hoses piped from the ground).

In the early 2000s I worked as a bag chucker for a regional airline. The training was excellent.

The ONLY vehicle that could ever be pointed directly at an aircraft was a belt loader (Food service was a third party vendor and fuel was from hoses piped from the ground).
Seems like a logical vehicle parking rule.

Back