Are Cherokee 140's moving?

teethdoc

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
teethdoc
I've looked at a few Mooney's and they appear to be selling pretty quickly if priced right, and even appreciating in value. What about a Cherokee 140? Are they selling now or are people stuck with a plane?

Sold mine in three weeks, unlike the majority of sellers out there on the various sites, I was well aware of what the market was.

I put mine on the market in April for a couple of months and didn't get one phone call (NorCal).

Sold mine in three weeks, unlike the majority of sellers out there on the various sites, I was well aware of what the market was.

This is the key.

I browsed a few 180D's today. Most that I saw with a listing date of 30-60 days or more had prices a bit too optimistic for what they were and had. They likely will stay un sold for a while.

The one or two I saw with ~600-800 hrs TBO, 2nd generation panels, and okay P & I being listed for $35k are likely to sold fairly quickly.

This is the key.

I browsed a few 180D's today. Most that I saw with a listing date of 30-60 days or more had prices a bit too optimistic for what they were and had. They likely will stay un sold for a while.

The one or two I saw with ~600-800 hrs TBO, 2nd generation panels, and okay P & I being listed for $35k are likely to sold fairly quickly.

Mine may have been a couple thousand high (expecting to negotiate), but you would think I would at least get some phone calls. It may have been the wrong time of year, I guess. I pulled it off the market, because I didn't want to miss the best flying season. I have about 800 since TBO and a crummy panel (main reason why I wanted to sell). I may just go ahead and put some money into my panel and keep it a while, now.

I may just go ahead and put some money into my panel and keep it a while, now.

If it fits your mission pretty good, why not keep it for a bit longer?

Make some smart selections on what is being replaced and they fly the heck out of it.

When you do put it back on the market, while you might not see all of your refurb budget brought back in real dollars at the sale, if it sells that much quicker (like Rusty's 3 weeks), then that could be counted as your investment payoff.

If it fits your mission pretty good, why not keep it for a bit longer?

Make some smart selections on what is being replaced and they fly the heck out of it.

When you do put it back on the market, while you might not see all of your refurb budget brought back in real dollars at the sale, if it sells that much quicker (like Rusty's 3 weeks), then that could be counted as your investment payoff.

Well... I would like a little better ceiling and climb capability, but in reality, this fits 90% of my mission (my dad lives in Big Bear and their airport is over 6,000 feet). The plane works fine for visiting my son in Santa Barbara and also the weekend trips to various places on the coast or up the valley. The need to carry more than two people comes up a few times a year at the most and I do carry three, with less fuel and baggage occasionally.

This is the key.

The 180s command a nice premium over the 140/150/160s

IMHO the older cherokee 140/150/160 is one of the better deals out there today, you get the O-320 and some space at Cessna 150 price, the useful load on them isn't bad either, I think mine had a touch over 850lbs and it has 50 gallon tanks which is nice for the long flights. Not to mention, it's cheap to maintain and almost too easy to fly.

A ratted out early 140/150 with mid time engine 12-15K
add a decent panel 15-20K
add decent P&I 20-25K

for a 180 add another 10-15K.

That's what you can turn em' for in a reasonable amount of time.

If priced to the comps, yea they move.

When I hunt a plane, I look for no more then 1/4 to TBO and a straight plane that is presentable and sellable.

A in-annual 140 with the 160 conversion (most have) with about 200SMOH, 8.5+/10 condition, no corrosion, basic 6pack panel with at least one VOR (loc only) around 20k

A out of annual plane like above, 14-15k

There are many folks who spent 40k on a 20k aircraft and now think it must be worth 45k, yea... they dont sell too quick.

Back