Are aircraft prices ticking up?

Morgan3820

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
El Conquistador
After eight months of looking, I left the market six months ago as I bought a plane. I took a peek at Trade a plane and I perceive that the asking prices have gone up. makes me think about raising my hull insurance.
What is your opinion?

Some aircraft have appreciated,but in general the market is still stagnet. The more cared for the airplane is the better chance it will hold a good value.

I just browsed through all the bonanzas. I could turn a profit if any of those come close to selling for asking price.

Prices on a lot of things are inching up, desirable airplanes are no exception, junk is still junk and us hard to sell, but nice airplanes still change hands. The difference today vs 3-4 years ago, is then every sale was priced as a distress sale, nice planes were relatively cheap and those that sold had motivated sellers. Today the panic is pretty much behind us and folks are still buying and selling, but because the sellers want to sell vs have to sell.:D

Nearly half the ones I have looked at are being sold by someone losing a medical..

Will keep the prices depressed.

I owned my 2002 T182T for around 18 months and sold it for $2000 more then I bought it for.

Not enough info to draw any conclusions on relative pricing. For example, did you do anything to it during that 18 month period that added value, i.e. complete the crankshaft AD?

They seem to.

I bought my Aerostar on the cheap with run out engines. After spending a lot of money on overhaul, I could now turn around and get my money back for plane + overhaul. Normally, that never happens. So something's changed in the last year. And maybe, for the first time in my life, I've made a deal where I didn't lose tens of thousands immediately...;):rolleyes:

Last edited:
They seem to.

I bought my Aerostar on the cheap with run out engines. After spending a lot of money on overhaul, I could now turn around and get my money back for plane + overhaul. Normally, that never happens. So something's changed in the last year. And maybe, for the first time in my life, I've made a deal where I didn't lose tens of thousands immediately...;):rolleyes:

In '98, I bought a Cherokee Warrior for $32,900. Four years later, after flying the pants off of it, I sold it for $40,000.

THOSE were the days. :yes:

RV prices are strong.

Not when you figure what you put into them. If you don't think the quality of your work is worth anything then yeah they're strong. If I were in the market for one right now I could probably buy a used one for cheaper than I could get all the quick build individual parts and pieces.

Not when you figure what you put into them. If you don't think the quality of your work is worth anything then yeah they're strong. If I were in the market for one right now I could probably buy a used one for cheaper than I could get all the quick build individual parts and pieces.

This is quite true. We bought Amelia, our terrific RV-8A, for about what the parts cost. The labor that went into building it was valued at $0.00.

Not enough info to draw any conclusions on relative pricing. For example, did you do anything to it during that 18 month period that added value, i.e. complete the crankshaft AD?

I have been watching the post restart 182 market for a couple of years now. There was a point you could find normally aspirated 182S models with the crank replaced for just over 100k. T182Ts could be had in the 150s. The only one on the market for less than 200 right now is a salvage case.

Back