Archer iii and my ipad 2

Monpilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Monpilot
I'm flying the club's archer which has a 2 amp dual USB cigarette adapter for powering the stratus.

2amps should be enough for charging the ipad 2.

I've plugged my ipad 2 into both of the adapter USB ports and still have a battery drain on the ipad. It would be ok if it simply maintained the battery level but there's still a drain.

The ammeter shows plenty so it's not a matter of the ipad pulling more than what's available.

I've disconnected the stratus so that only the ipad is connected and no luck.

I bought a portable external battery but it will be a pain to use while my ipad is attached to the yoke. And the point is to not carry even more in my flight bag.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Any advice?
I went through that with a Nexus 7 and ended up testing four or five "2 amp" USB 12v power supplies in my car. I only found one that would keep the tablet charging when the GPS was running.

Posted here: http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59414

At the time I wrote that I had concluded that high resistance USB cords were producing voltage drops that cut the charging rate to the tablet. I subsequently measured the resistance of a bunch of cords and couldn't substantiate that hunch. So my current theory is that the charger manufacturers are just not being truthful with their specs.

So my advice would be to test with all the chargers available to you and see if you have one that is sufficient. If not, try the Anker unit that I am now using.

I think the plane has 24v. Would that be a problem in selecting an adapter. The scosche site shows their adapter being 10-16v input.

You're correct. I just read the POH and it's a 14v system.

To be certain I may spend the premium and get the apple branded cigar adapter

Thanks for the input!

Back