Archer II, panel lights took a while to come on

ScottVal

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Scott
Hello-
I flew a rented Archer II at night for the first time yesterday. When I turned on the panel lights, they didn't seem to work, but then a few minutes later all of a sudden they came on. I'm wondering why they didn't come on at first, and what triggered them to come on later, like the RPMs going above a certain level, turning on the landing light, or what. I really don't know. Does anyone know the answer?
-Scott

I don't believe you are going to find an easy answer for that one. They should come on, when you ask them to. Anything on here is going to be a guess at best without being able to re-create the problem and troubleshoot. Could be a bad ground, a switch that needs some love, etc.... Good thing is you just tell the owners and let it be their problem.

The panel lights are on a the right rheostat and it has to be rolled up to see any lights. Is it possible they were on but very dim?

There are also some weird electronics associated with that dimmer and they are a pain to troubleshoot.

Thanks for the input. I think I'll talk to a lineman or instructor about it.

Thanks for the input. I think I'll talk to a lineman or instructor about it.

They won't know.

Talk to an A&P.

I wouldn't use that for a night flight, but I'd consider it for daytime, provided the lights are kept off. You can use a flashlight, but do you really want to be flying short final with a flashlight in your mouth? Or worse, do you want to risk the loose "hot" wire finding ground and disabling your lights and radios? That can make for a fun night landing, especially if you can't turn the PCL on.

Hello-
I flew a rented Archer II at night for the first time yesterday. When I turned on the panel lights, they didn't seem to work, but then a few minutes later all of a sudden they came on. I'm wondering why they didn't come on at first, and what triggered them to come on later, like the RPMs going above a certain level, turning on the landing light, or what. I really don't know. Does anyone know the answer?
-Scott

Broken. Get it fixed. ;)

Might have taken a couple minutes to burn through the dust buildup on the wire windings of the rheostat. ;):D

Back