ARC RT-328T NAV/COM

Dbarbee

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Daniel Barbee
I just did an upgrade and I have a couple of people asking about my old ARC RT-328T NAV/COM radios but I have no idea what they're worth.

A quick search found asking prices ranging from $200 to $995. That's a pretty big range.

Does anyone have a better idea of what these radios are actually selling for?

I tried to sell mine for $100 but no-one wanted it.
Bennett's $995 is ridiculous.

I traded my functioning 328 to a guy for his non-functioning TKM. Took me more than expected to get the TKM functioning.

I traded my functioning 328 to a guy for his non-functioning TKM. Took me more than expected to get the TKM functioning.

Always check the S/N on a TKM. TKM doesn't touch the older radios any more, so when they break, they turn into paperweights.

Always check the S/N on a TKM. TKM doesn't touch the older radios any more, so when they break, they turn into paperweights.

Are there known breaking points? With proprietary parts that have been exhausted out of spares? Or can they be patched back up with currently available components?

Jim

Are there known breaking points? With proprietary parts that have been exhausted out of spares? Or can they be patched back up with currently available components?

Jim

According to TKM, there are parts in the older units that are no longer available and they cannot work on them any more.

My RT328T just died, if yours works and you. want to sell cheap let me know! I'm down to just one NAV/COM which is an MX300. Thank you!

My RT328T just died, if yours works and you. want to sell cheap let me know! I'm down to just one NAV/COM which is an MX300. Thank you!

One thing that may or may not revive a 328 is to use contact cleaner on all of the plug in component sockets (there are lots of them). At the avionics shop I used to use, that is the first thing that they would do to an ARC before going any further. They would spray the sockets and then use tweezers to exercise the components vigorously in and out of the socket.

That's good to know. I will pull it out and give it a try. Thanks for the tip!

I recently bought a working MX300 for $150. I would not spend much money on an ARC...

According to TKM, there are parts in the older units that are no longer available and they cannot work on them any more.

That was the guts of the question. Are the nla parts proprietary to TKM (like gears they had machined, eproms that only they have the code to program), and stuff like that? Or obsolete ICs that Graveyard Electronics have by the bazillion? "No longer available" has a whole BUNCH of meanings, like "We don't want to look for a second source."

Jim

I recently bought a working MX300 for $150. I would not spend much money on an ARC...

I wish i could find a working MX-300 for $150, I'd buy it in a heartbeat! The lowest price I've found so far is $1,000.

I just did an upgrade and I have a couple of people asking about my old ARC RT-328T NAV/COM radios but I have no idea what they're worth.

A quick search found asking prices ranging from $200 to $995. That's a pretty big range.

Does anyone have a better idea of what these radios are actually selling for?
No offense but there are piles of these out there at most shops who do mods and I don't know why someone would want to invest money in one even if they had one in their panel. The only way to keep them going is to cannibalize other units and I can tell you most shops don't want to work on them and assume any liability for technology that old.

I tried to sell mine for $100 but no-one wanted it.
Bennett's $995 is ridiculous.
Agree. No one should invest that sort of money in a 30+ year old radio. Time to upgrade!

Back