April Mid-West Fly-in Activities

Steve

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Fly Right
Anyone going to the event have any interest in booking a group on the train Friday or Saturday?

http://www.royalgorgereservations.com/rates_groups.aspx

If Felix doesn't feel up to organizing a group I'd volunteer to assist. But if not enough interest as a group exists, some of us could still do this individually. I think the minimum to get a group discount is 10. Might be fun to have lunch or dinner on it as a group, or to just take a scenic ride through the gorge.

April will be here before you know it.

Also, there's a possibility of getting some sailplane flying experience at KANK or IV6.
Here's a layout of KANK. For those familiar with Gaston's you may see some similarities. :)

http://www.chaffeecounty.org/GigPage.aspx?PageID=264

For those that want to come a few days early there are mountain flying courses available at KPUB.

Last edited:
Steve, that's a wonderful idea! I'm in; I think lunch on the train sounds like fun! That'd be a good theme for this fly-in.

If you don't mind organizing this, please go ahead. There's a lot to do.

-Felix

Sounds like fun to me, I'd be in!

One thing I'm still wondering in my planning: are we planning on having this be a 2-day extravaganza (Friday/Saturday activities) or just the main event being on Saturday? Helps me figure out my travel schedule.

Sounds like fun to me, I'd be in!

One thing I'm still wondering in my planning: are we planning on having this be a 2-day extravaganza (Friday/Saturday activities) or just the main event being on Saturday? Helps me figure out my travel schedule.
Friday/Saturday I'd say. It's still a bit of a trip for most of us. I vote for Saturday for the train ride and Friday and the rest of Saturday as a fly-around day!

What do y'all think?

-Felix

Friday/Saturday I'd say. It's still a bit of a trip for most of us. I vote for Saturday for the train ride and Friday and the rest of Saturday as a fly-around day!

What do y'all think?
Sounds fine to me. I vote that we rename this something other than the Mid-West Fly-In, like maybe the Colorado Fly-In. Anyone within reasonable flying distance knows which one of those square states Colorado is...

Sounds fine to me. I vote that we rename this something other than the Mid-West Fly-In, like maybe the Colorado Fly-In. Anyone within reasonable flying distance knows which one of those square states Colorado is...

Pretty much in the middle of the west...

How about Royal Gorge Fly-In? Just like Gaston's, it doesn't give you any information about where it is, and so you'll be forced to look at the thread! :D

-Felix

How about Royal Gorge Fly-In? Just like Gaston's, it doesn't give you any information about where it is, and so you'll be forced to look at the thread! :D
Sounds good to me!

Steve, that's a wonderful idea! I'm in; I think lunch on the train sounds like fun! That'd be a good theme for this fly-in.

If you don't mind organizing this, please go ahead. There's a lot to do.

-Felix

Yup, if it is a really nice lunch, you could call it A Royal Gorge on the Royal Gorge! :D

Barb

Royal Gorge fly-in sounds good to me. :)

And Friday/Saturday sounds like more fun, as well. Also more realistic given the distance that people will likely have to travel. I'll be losing time going home with the time zones. Blegh.

We will call it that, Barb, if you join us! :D

-Felix

I'd really like to come, this one sounds like the kind of place I'd enjoy. But,,, I'm already planning a trip to Knoxville this coming year. The way I have it figured, it is going to take me about a week and a half to get there! Maybe next year.

Have fun and post lots of pictures

Barb

Barb - have you ever figured out your average groundspeed? Tri Pacers are known for being slow, but your has got to be the slowest out there!

Count me (2 people) in on the Royal Gorge (on the Royal Gorge). I have rafted this section of the Arkansas twice. It would be fun to see it while not wet and cold....

Steve:

This sounds like a a great opportunity. How long is the potential "mountain flying course" and are you able to use your own plane like a normally aspirated 182?

Scott

Scott,

The information I have is that Steel City Aviation @ KPUB offers a mountain checkout.

http://www.learntoflywith.us/

I would think you had the option of using your plane or theirs, but I recommend you contact them directly.

And report back what you find out! There may be others interested.

(hey, kent, they have a twink!)

Steve:

This sounds like a a great opportunity. How long is the potential "mountain flying course" and are you able to use your own plane like a normally aspirated 182?

Scott

(hey, kent, they have a twink!)

A Comanche 180, AND a Twinkie! :yes:

And at $185/hr, that Twinkie is a pretty good deal.

Man, I'm trying to find someplace in that area that has a challenging backcountry strip like you'd find in Idaho, but there just isn't anything. :( The private Granite Mountain Lodge strip (doesn't appear to be an actual lodge associated with it, or I'd stay there!) is about the closest thing at 2000x20, 9000 foot elevation and 2% slope, but it's private and there's nothing there. :frown2:

Man, I'm trying to find someplace in that area that has a challenging backcountry strip like you'd find in Idaho, but there just isn't anything. :( The private Granite Mountain Lodge strip (doesn't appear to be an actual lodge associated with it, or I'd stay there!) is about the closest thing at 2000x20, 9000 foot elevation and 2% slope, but it's private and there's nothing there. :frown2:

Kent, try this one......

http://www.mountainflying.com/airport5.htm

Barb

Barb - have you ever figured out your average groundspeed? Tri Pacers are known for being slow, but your has got to be the slowest out there!

:D Yup, Slowest Tripacer in the World, and proud of it!

I'm a firm believer in: It's not the destination, but the journey that is most important, and most fun.

Barb

For Mtn Flying courses, I would also strongly recommend www.cospilot.com in KCOS. This is the pilot center that I taught out of for many years, and they have some really knowledgeable instructors.

They have 2 182's (1 straight leg, 1 RG), and a few 172's (SP, N, M)

Tell 'em Ric sent you!

At that elevation in CO in April, I can just about gaurantee that this strip will be under snow still. Might be ok if you have skis though :smile:

Gaaaaah!!!

Now you've done it... How much for skis for a 182? Hmmm.

Oh man. I can get skis on the 182 for the low low price of $19,180. :frown2:

That's a steal! Go for it. I think a 182 with skis would be slightly interesting :rofl:

Interesting? Try FUN!!! :goofy:

Okay, they'd be better suited to a 180/5, but I ain't got one of those I can play with. :no:

Of course, I don't have $20K for skis to play with either... :(

That's a steal! Go for it. I think a 182 with skis would be slightly interesting :rofl:

Put them on a P-Baron. Now that would be unusual. ;)

Hmm. I couldn't find that anywhere else - Do you know of an ID for it?

If it's not an FAA-recognized airport, I can't land there (insurance). If it has an FAA ID and is listed as being an open airport, I'm covered no matter how bad it is.

It is a private strip and I don't know if it has an ID. I'm sure it requires prior approval.

Steve:

Of course, any school offering a mtn flying course will certainly offer it in YOUR aircraft! They would want you to be in an aircraft that you are knowledgeable and comfortable in.

As for the length of the course- Any mtn flying course which has less than about 2.5-3 hrs of ground, followed by a flight of less than 3 hrs is a rip off! It might just provide you with enough info to kill you!

That being said, flying from PUB to 1V6 is not a "mtn flight". But if you are planning on going any further into the hills, either having someone along with experience, or getting the info from a reputable flight school would be strongly encouraged!

A few of the areas which should be covered in such a course would be high altitude performance, weather, navigation, special manuevers, and emergency procedures. (This is NOT a complete list, just a few of the highlights!)

These are just a few thoughts I had as I was re-reading this thread. I did not feel that this particular question had been adequately answered, other than referrals to a couple of schools.

Steve:

Hmm, I was gonna answer this one too... Must've closed it by accident!

Of course, any school offering a mtn flying course will certainly offer it in YOUR aircraft! They would want you to be in an aircraft that you are knowledgeable and comfortable in.

Should say "in a suitable aircraft that you are knowledgeable and comfortable in." Scott, your normally aspirated 182 is a GREAT airplane for a mountain flying course. Your Columbia, not so much. :no:

As for the length of the course- Any mtn flying course which has less than about 2.5-3 hrs of ground, followed by a flight of less than 3 hrs is a rip off! It might just provide you with enough info to kill you!

The one I did was probably 4.5 ground and 4.5 flight, and that was "abbreviated." They normally do a weekend. I learned a TON but at least now I have an idea of what I don't know. Definitely something I'd like to repeat, for the whole weekend next time. :yes:

That said, I'd suggest a nice long out-west trip to do both the course and the PoA gathering, as most time spent at PoA gatherings is yapping about airplanes, flying each other's airplanes, eating, and especially getting to know each other better. Maybe start the previous weekend, head to Idaho (because they have WAY better places to be doing real mountain flying - Go here and look at the number of strips in the mountains!), do the mountain flying course, and then use your new knowledge to make your way to the PoA gathering the following weekend. :yes:

Should say "in a suitable aircraft that you are knowledgeable and comfortable in." Scott, your normally aspirated 182 is a GREAT airplane for a mountain flying course. Your Columbia, not so much. :no:
I don't know why you think the Columbia is not suitable. Most mountain flying courses, in Colorado anyway, don't include landing at backcountry dirt strips. In any case, there are plenty of paved mountain airports that you could opt for which I would think would be suitable for a Columbia.

I don't know why you think the Columbia is not suitable. Most mountain flying courses, in Colorado anyway, don't include landing at backcountry dirt strips. In any case, there are plenty of paved mountain airports that you could opt for which I would think would be suitable for a Columbia.

You are correct that the Columbia would be fine in Colorado, since the fields there tend to have long, paved runways.

I was recommending that he take the course in Idaho, so that he can get the backcountry strip experience - That was the best part of the whole course! Without that, there's not as much point or much fun to a mountain course.

After taking the course in Idaho, I didn't find the Colorado strips to do much for me in the way of fun or challenge. Heck, LXV was at 12,200 feet DA when I was there, and the only real difference from home was that I took up twice as much runway on takeoff (and, of course, didn't get the "jump-into-the-sky" liftoff or 1500 fpm initial climb I get down here in the thick air).

So, while learning how to fly around the mountains is valuable information, learning how to do both that AND land at backcountry strips is a LOT of fun. :yes: Besides, with a Columbia 400, you don't really have to worry about mountains, 'cuz you can put them 10,000 feet below you. (Not to say it still wouldn't be valuable knowledge, just not as necessary as when you're n/a and weaving your way in between them.)

We haven't booked any lodging, but are still hoping to attend. We both need to get some recurrency training, though. It's been a bad winter for flying in the TRUE mid-west :) (Aren't they all?)

Any recommendation or concurrence on lodging?

I'm out. Got too much other stuff going on.

I'm still planning on it if it's still the 17-18-19 of April.

It's on my calender. Probably have at least one empty seat if anyone wants a ride from Denver. Fair warning: I'm probably a Saturday only participant and may drag the doubleI along if he's not otherwise booked so we'd be shooting approaches on the way. COS and PUB should consider themselves properly warned to expect a Dakota weaving along the localizer...

Back