April Fools

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
So, did you find anything funny going on April Fools Day?

Here's WestJet's April Fools commercial. Child-Free Cabins--your kids ride in the cargo bay.

After landing at ATL Sunday night, FA's cabin announcement started "Ladies and Gentlemen, on behalf of our crew I'd like to be the first to welcome you to Nashville . . ." Then she waited for the inevitable gasps and murmers and said "April Fools, we're really in Atlanta and thanks for flying with us." Huge laughter.

"The State Assembly passed a bill today to outlaw motorcycle lane sharing in California..."

There was an announcement by OAK about SSJ-148: an airplane using a stretched SSJ-100 fuselage and An-148 wing and engines. That almost made sense for a moment, but unfortunately they spoiled the joke by taking it too far: they announced that the cockpit layout would be a combination of elements, too.

The joke is funny because An-148 and SSJ-100 are bitter rivals in Russian market, and some claim that the market is not big enough to support both. Not to mention that they are pretty much the same as Embraer E-170.

Personally, I think putting SSJ-100's SNECMA engines on An-148 would make it a better airplane, but I guess announcing that would not be outrageous enough for April Fools.

Last edited:
I was out flying up the East Coast and someone gave the Washington Center controller some happy pills. He was quite chatty all through the fight. My final exchange with him:

ZDC: Navion 27K contact Roanoake Approach on 126.9
27K: 26.9. It's been a pleasure flying with you today.
ZDC: The pleasure has been all mine.

I got to work on April 2nd and realized I'd missed April Fools Day because I was busy that day hiking up a small mountain in camo. My first experience "Turkey Hunting" and no, that is not a joke.

> My first experience "Turkey Hunting" and no, that is not a joke.

I shot my first turkey ~1 week before Thanksgiving. I didn't think it was such a
big deal, but everyone else in the frozen food aisle certainly did!

After landing at ATL Sunday night, FA's cabin announcement started "Ladies and Gentlemen, on behalf of our crew I'd like to be the first to welcome you to Nashville . . ." Then she waited for the inevitable gasps and murmers and said "April Fools, we're really in Atlanta and thanks for flying with us." Huge laughter.
An FA welcomed us to the wrong city for real once- we were in the right place, she just had a long couple of days and got mixed up.

I got to work on April 2nd and realized I'd missed April Fools Day because I was busy that day hiking up a small mountain in camo. My first experience "Turkey Hunting" and no, that is not a joke.

Well? How did you do? Did you like hunting?

In this case, we didn't hear or see any turkeys, so after making the gobble gobble noises I never had to put on my face mask, gloves, hide under the camo blanket, etc.

Basically, it was just a hike with a gun. We did meet a guy from Indiana who saw us and waited for us because we both headed downhill at the same time, from two different trails (this place is very remote). He talked to my BF for over half an hour. His decoys were better than ours, etc and he had been there since 5am. No turkeys. Oh well. At least he did all the "hard work" for us.

I need to go through 3 days of classes (safety course) and then I can get my license. If I do, there is a spare shotgun so I will be a hunter and not a guest.

I had fun. Duck hunting is not the same though. Dark, cold, wet, and sitting still in silence for hours. Perhaps this turkey hunting was supposed to be like that too - but it wasn't. Pigs would be OK but they are dangerous.

Gobble gobble (that is a brand new Benelli Super Vinci)

6897988098_1660f8a8b8_z.jpg

I hear you can hunt Snipe at Gaston's. Ever done that? Tricky little bastards.

I hear you can hunt Snipe at Gaston's. Ever done that? Tricky little bastards.

Is a snipe like tripe? What the heck is a snipe? And I've only seen duck hunting and turkey hunting (by seen I mean I don't have my hunting license yet so I've just been a guest).

Is a snipe like tripe? What the heck is a snipe? And I've only seen duck hunting and turkey hunting (by seen I mean I don't have my hunting license yet so I've just been a guest).
Snipe is a type of bird. Shooting them was tricky enough that doing so is the origin of "sniping" or being a "sniper."

Go to Google... type in "Snipe"... and then click on images..

Or watch "Up"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

"Snipe hunt" has a different meaning in my world. Usually conducted late night in bars.

Last edited:
Exactly. When I first heard the word I wasn't thinking of a cute tiny bird with a really long beak.

The snipe hunting I have witnessed was conducted by young children holding paper sacks. Though the birds, while very noisy, are fairly quick and elusive, so I couldn't attest to the length of their beaks.

Pigs would be OK but they are dangerous.

Pigs are most fun on Catalina because they pay (at least back then) $25 anywhere and $50 if you get them on the golf course. Trick is there was only a 3 month bow and arrow season and no guns at all. The rest of the time it's spears, knives, and dogs; real hunting. Hunting with guns is for *******, so I guess you can go ahead, your boyfriend though may start to grow a mangina.

Last edited:
Pigs are most fun on Catalina because they pay (at least back then) $25 anywhere and $50 if you get them on the golf course. Trick is there was only a 3 month bow and arrow season and no guns at all. The rest of the time it's spears, knives, and dogs; real hunting. Hunting with guns is for *******, so I guess you can go ahead, your boyfriend though may start to grow a mangina.

Oh I wanted to do bow and arrow but compound bows are expensive. I don't know what bows and arrows cost and I'm not THAT into it. If I get my training there are guns for me (3 days of training). But no arrows. I'm not so excited about this that I'm gonna spend my money on arrows. I need new tires, and then brakes, and an emergency appointment today (dentist) means I can now add "root canal" to the list of things. I haven't flown in forever.

Oh I wanted to do bow and arrow but compound bows are expensive. I don't know what bows and arrows cost and I'm not THAT into it. If I get my training there are guns for me (3 days of training). But no arrows. I'm not so excited about this that I'm gonna spend my money on arrows. I need new tires, and then brakes, and an emergency appointment today (dentist) means I can now add "root canal" to the list of things. I haven't flown in forever.

No. Nonononono. Bow. OR Arrow. You can't have us both. Pick one honey and go with it.

My Aussie buddy living out on a trimaran (I was Avalon Shore Boat, that and Glass Bottom Ocean View and Sea View were my first commercial job as a captain. I had a sea lion show and GBB spiel that made me $400 a day in tips. Paid for a lot of aviation those sea lions did, they were great and a bunch of fun) had a Rhodesian Ridgeback named Chopper (google Chopper Read for the dog's namesake lol, watch both the movies, especially the documentary with him in it, it's hilarious as hell.) that he hunted pigs with every night on the golf course, it's how he made his living. He'd sell the ears for the $50 and the hog went to the butcher and lots of people ate. He did it with the dog and a knife remeniscent of Crocodile Dundee's, "that's not a knife, this is a knife" knife. The dog gets the boar running in a circle heeling it remorselessly and he'd step in and stick the knife in the boar's throat. I asked to go with one night to see it in action. It was pretty cool. Third boar boar he handed me the knife, "You go" ""You wanna risk Chopper to me f-ing up?""Chopper'll be alright for an extra few seconds & you won't kill him." "Alright". Last time I went hunting, nothing left except bears and big game which I have no desire to kill.

Last edited:
My Aussie buddy living out on a trimaran (I was Avalon Shore Boat, that and Glass Bottom Ocean View and Sea View were my first commercial job as a captain. I had a sea lion show and GBB spiel that made me $400 a day in tips. Paid for a lot of aviation those sea lions did, they were great and a bunch of fun) had a Rhodesian Ridgeback named Chopper (google Chopper Read for the dog's namesake lol, watch both the movies, especially the documentary with him in it, it's hilarious as hell.) that he hunted pigs with every night on the golf course, it's how he made his living. He'd sell the ears for the $50 and the hog went to the butcher and lots of people ate. He did it with the dog and a knife remeniscent of Crocodile Dundee's, "that's not a knife, this is a knife" knife. The dog gets the boar running in a circle heeling it remorselessly and he'd step in and stick the knife in the boar's throat. I asked to go with one night to see it in action. It was pretty cool. Third boar boar he handed me the knife, "You go" ""You wanna risk Chopper to me f-ing up?""Chopper'll be alright for an extra few seconds & you won't kill him." "Alright". Last time I went hunting, nothing left except bears and big game which I have no desire to kill.

I have seen shows on Discovery where they hunt pig with dogs and the dogs do what you say. Ridgebacks have an interesting history, and at one time were used to hunt lions and other big game in Africa.

In the earlier parts of its history, the Rhodesian Ridgeback has also been known as Van Rooyen's Lion Dogs, the African Lion Hound or African Lion Dog—Simba Inja in Ndebele, Shumba Imbwa in Shona—because of their ability to distract a lion while awaiting their master to make the kill.

I have a Ridgeback and they are great dogs. I wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of one mad at me for sure. They have an incredibly strong bite. I watched mine shred a golf ball in about 10 seconds flat.

I have a Ridgeback and they are great dogs. I wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of one mad at me for sure. They have an incredibly strong bite. I watched mine shred a golf ball in about 10 seconds flat.

My one and only dog bite was from a Ridgeback. My fault. She was scared and cornered. (Trying to put a lead on her and she didn't know me. Thought I could be quick about it. She was much faster. Dumb on my part.)

Canine tooth to the top of the left hand, missed the pinky finger tendon by a hair. She was not messing around. Sadly she had a very good anti-bite behavior and as soon as she nailed me she started whimpering even louder knowing that she'd done something wrong. Poor girl.

We finally got her moved when someone else she knew a little better was able to coax her out of the hiding place.

I have to watch myself around them now. They pick up that I'm nervous.

Back