Approved Weather Reporting Services

WeekendWarrior

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
FlyKC
Anyone know what's implied by "approved weather reporting service" as published on some instrument approach procedures? As an example, the RNAV 02 at IYK.(https://www.faa.gov/aero_docs/dtpp/1911/05417R2.PDF#nameddest=(IYK))
Other examples are NACO charts for some US Pacific territories.
I've looked for FAA documentation, and I've found some guidance, but it seems that they no longer publish a list of "approved sources".
So - besides ATIS/AWOS/ASOS, what is considered an "approved source", and how might a pilot gain access to them?

Last edited:
7-1-3. Use of Aviation Weather Products

a. Air carriers and operators certificated under the provisions of 14 CFR Part 119 are required to use the aeronautical weather information systems defined in the Operations Specifications issued to that certificate holder by the FAA. These systems may utilize basic FAA/National Weather Service (NWS) weather services, contractor- or operator-proprietary weather services and/or Enhanced Weather Information System (EWINS) when approved in the Operations Specifications. As an integral part of this system approval, the procedures for collecting, producing and disseminating aeronautical weather information, as well as the crew member and dispatcher training to support the use of system weather products, must be accepted or approved.

b. Operators not certificated under the provisions of 14 CFR Part 119 are encouraged to use FAA/NWS products through Flight Service Stations, Direct User Access Terminal System (DUATS), and/or Flight Information Services Data Link (FISDL).

Approved weather is also addressed in A010 in many opspecs

Appendix B. Checklist for Obtaining Approval from AFS-200 to Add a Weather Source to OpSpec/Mspec A010

Principal operations inspectors (POI) of certificate holders or program managers who do not have an Enhanced Weather Information System (EWINS) must obtain approval from the Air Transportation Division (AFS-200) to allow a certificate holder/program manager to use an aviation weather report or forecast prepared by a source other than the ones listed below:

 The National Weather Service (NWS) or a source approved by the NWS (within the 48 contiguous United States and the District of Columbia),

 U.S. and North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) military observing sources,

 Meteorological offices operated by International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) member
states,

 ICAO member state, authorized meteorological station, or automated observation,

 Members of the World Meteorological Organization (WMO),

 For reports of adverse weather phenomena: Pilot Weather Reports (PIREP) provided by aircraft of the same, or similar, type and size, and

 For reports of adverse weather phenomena: Aircraft Reports (AIREP) provided by aircraft of the same or similar type and size.

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Notice/N 8900.199.pdf

Last edited:
Approved users might be able to access the AUNICOM on 122.8 or a person on the ground with calibrated altimeters to provide the airport setting.

Basically a certified weather observer, like we had when dinosaurs roamed the earth, unless you want to pay for an ASOS.

Did they ever publish a list?

Basically a certified weather observer, like we had when dinosaurs roamed the earth, unless you want to pay for an ASOS.

Did they ever publish a list?

Actually you don’t need a certified weather observer, just some one who can set and read a calibrated altimeter. Like we did at most uncontrolled airports 50 years ago.

Actually you don’t need a certified weather observer, just some one who can set and read a calibrated altimeter. Like we did at most uncontrolled airports 50 years ago.
Nope...that’s “with local altimeter”. This is “approved weather reporting service”.

Nope...that’s “with local altimeter”. This is “approved weather reporting service”.

I believe you are correct as it appears only certificated operators are allowed this option, but 50 years ago the only weather observers were in control towers or FSS.

I've never seen a list. But if the "approved weather reporting service" note is on the Chart then there is one there. Maybe a licensed UNICOM station that has LAWRS certified observers. Maybe an airline/air taxi that serves the airport with personnel that are LAWRS certified. This could be a ticket agent. Whether they would give you the WX if you called them I dunno. Maybe they are required to give the METAR to anyone who asks, maybe just their own pilots, I dunno. LAWRS is Limited Aviation Weather Reporting Station. They can do METARS but not Forecasts. Tower controllers at airports that don't have a Certified Weather Observer, like a FSS at the airport or a NWS office are usually LAWRS certified. This is the rule rather than the exception nowadays seeing as how on airport FSS's are pretty much a thing of the past.

I believe you are correct as it appears only certificated operators are allowed this option, but 50 years ago the only weather observers were in control towers or FSS.
Many 121/135 operators had their own observers where there was no tower or FSS as well.

Anyone know what's implied by "approved weather reporting service" as published on some instrument approach procedures? As an example, the RNAV 02 at IYK.(https://www.faa.gov/aero_docs/dtpp/1911/05417R2.PDF#nameddest=(IYK))
Other examples are NACO charts for some US Pacific territories.
I've looked for FAA documentation, and I've found some guidance, but it seems that they no longer publish a list of "approved sources".
So - besides ATIS/AWOS/ASOS, what is considered an "approved source", and how might a pilot gain access to them?
I believe it is Skywest that provides scheduled service into Inyokern. Someone on their local staff is certified to provide the altimeter and other weather conditions.

Back