Approved Ghostrider

North carolinians of all people (yes, I recognize they've had a huge influx of transplants).
P_______s. :rolleyes:

Note this event (and article) are from almost a year ago. They fly over was August 30 2016 and the article published in November.

Sounds like a lot of panties are getting in to wads over nothing.
Certainly an arguable point of view. These pilots have been ordered to take these aircraft into combat but then it's a big concern when they show what they can do. Similar thing happened in Houston when some guys flew Apaches on a parade route. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Give'em a reprimand that gets pulled in a year and move on.

Certainly an arguable point of view. These pilots have been ordered to take these aircraft into combat but then it's a big concern when they show what they can do. Similar thing happened in Houston when some guys flew Apaches on a parade route. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Give'em a reprimand that gets pulled in a year and move on.

Yup, we deal with this daily in the military. We call it the "warrior monk" fallacy. They want us to be cold and focused Grim Reaper pickle button pushers with RWRs sounding off left and right while ingressing a target instead of cutting tail and pumping, or getting your crew home safe to their families on unaugmented sleep-deprived combat crew on your second AR plug over the Pacific, but we can't sexually objectify our own frau/gf/mistress at home (even calling her that is a problem) or share notes on preferred sexual escapades while in garrison, nor can we be verbally crass as a defense mechanism for the fact some of our guys are god-damn lucky to be still with us today sharing a beer after taking an RPG through the windshield of that MH-53 in OIF.

It's a g-damn hypocrisy is what it is, demanded by civilians and SJWs with no skin in the game. I despise the warrior monk fallacy, and I've been reproached in the past about my sentiments on it. These days I'm just Peter from Office Space ....working just hard enough not to get fired. I certainly don't admire much of my high senior "management" (they haven't earned the moniker leadership in my eyes). I got rent to pay and a kid to feed, so I pick my battles in the end. But it is no less a hypocrisy what befalls the military these days. The check ain't bouncing, so I jink as appropriate. They talk about the 3 USAF core values. Wanna know mine? Off base, off-duty, off-uniform. :D FUBIJAR!

The brief I received in flight school said the chain of command approved the Apache flyover. Not sure if any punishment was delt to the pilots or the command over it.

Just because ATC approves it, doesn't make it legal. ;)

FAA "legalities" don't apply to military aircraft, do they?

Not that the chain of command couldn't yank a knot in these guys, but I don't think the FAA can put a hand on 'em.

Not that the chain of command couldn't yank a knot in these guys, but I don't think the FAA can put a hand on 'em.
National airspace is administered by FAA. Yes, the legalities apply to military aircraft. They do have many waivers.

The legalities apply but the punishment is delt by their command. Probably won't pick up Major on first look. :(

The FAR compliance is a moot point anyway because their AF reg in this case, reflect the same mins as 91.119.

Last edited:
The legalities apply but the punishment is delt by their command. Probably won't pick up Major on first look. :(

Oh well, Eff it:
Get picked up by American (they love some 11F AFSC).
Match O-4 pay by 2nd year.
Profit.

The machine won't miss ya, and doesn't care. The force is more hollow and less combat credible/combat effective as a result of this apathy, but such is the inertia of the Borg. This isn't new either. And they have the nerve to come at you with platitudes about Core values...:rolleyes:

Take care of número uno, and I don't mean flight lead.:cool:

Oh well, Eff it:
Get picked up by American (they love some 11F AFSC).
Match O-4 pay by 2nd year.
Profit.

The machine won't miss ya, and doesn't care. The force is more hollow and less combat credible/combat effective as a result of this apathy, but such is the inertia of the Borg. This isn't new either. And they have the nerve to come at you with platitudes about Core values...:rolleyes:

Take care of número uno, and I don't mean flight lead.:cool:

Lol! No argument there man. I think the AF's problems go far beyond scolding pilots for flying low though. Seems like they've made some positive changes with bonuses and extra duty reduction recently. Time will tell if it stems the bleeding.

Last edited:
Things like this are the reason I am reluctant to ask for the "carrier break" at civilian fields. You can bet most will approve it. They certainly won't be able to protect you when a couple retired mil jabronis on the adjacent golf course get butt hurt about it, and start making phone calls. It's a break even world we live in.

Not to mention those darn heli's that buzz over houses late at night. ;)

Whoa now! 1,000 ft man. The FARs say I can "buzz" your house at 300 ft if I want to. Which I would but you'd probably zap me with a laser and blind me. Actually been happening recently in the area at night. ;)

Whoa now! 1,000 ft man. The FARs say I can "buzz" your house at 300 ft if I want to. Which I would but you'd probably zap me with a laser and blind me. Actually been happening recently in the area at night. ;)

Fly a helo over my house at 300 or less and all you're going to get is free beer. Especially if it's military and you give us a couple close orbits.

They want us to be cold and focused Grim Reaper pickle button pushers with RWRs sounding off left and right while ingressing a target instead of cutting tail and pumping, or getting your crew home safe to their families on unaugmented sleep-deprived combat crew on your second AR plug over the Pacific, but we can't sexually objectify our own frau/gf/mistress at home (even calling her that is a problem) or share notes on preferred sexual escapades while in garrison

It's hypocrisy but it's also a blatant denial of reality and a test of sanity. We're bludgeoned into believing that women are just as combat capable and can possess the same warrior ethos, while simultaneously seeing the men stripped of the very traits that have historically defined that warrior ethos. Instead of training women to fight with the men, we've redefined the fight so that it's now against the men themselves. We're told that women are ready for battle on the front lines but that they are also able to be psychologically and emotionally damaged by microaggressions and locker room language. I've sat through mandatory training that identified me as a threat for sexual assault because I hold traditional views of men, women, and family. Meanwhile the hip-hop, gangster wannabe enlisted sub-culture gets a free pass and any attempt to address that as part of the problem further solidifies my identity as a dinosaur whose time has passed.

The Air Force is in a cultural free fall and the leadership has thoroughly discredited itself, but they won't pay for sticking their finger in the cultural winds and abdicating the responsibility that has been handed down to them. Those who were subjected to this insanity (and tried to resist it) will be the ones who bear the impact of this colossal failure.

In fairness, I'd say most ("rated" you call them right?) female fighter ladies I've known/flown with had as much of a problem with this as I do. Some exceptions, but generally not the norm.

I have one big issue with this..... I MISSED IT! I live about 4 blocks away from the stadium and can see it plain as day. I think that's pretty cool, really wish I would have been around for it. They are military pilots so who cares if they were flying too low, I'm sure they had it under control. Plus the fact that they give up their freedom to protect ours is kind of a big deal in the first place. No harm done. And for those of you not familiar with the area, the Charlotte Observer is pretty much complete garbage. So it doesn't surprise me they would do an article like this.

I just read the article, and it seems to me this is just another attempt by the bureaucrats to neuter America's fighting forces.

It's hypocrisy but it's also a blatant denial of reality and a test of sanity. We're bludgeoned into believing that women are just as combat capable and can possess the same warrior ethos, while simultaneously seeing the men stripped of the very traits that have historically defined that warrior ethos. Instead of training women to fight with the men, we've redefined the fight so that it's now against the men themselves. We're told that women are ready for battle on the front lines but that they are also able to be psychologically and emotionally damaged by microaggressions and locker room language. I've sat through mandatory training that identified me as a threat for sexual assault because I hold traditional views of men, women, and family. Meanwhile the hip-hop, gangster wannabe enlisted sub-culture gets a free pass and any attempt to address that as part of the problem further solidifies my identity as a dinosaur whose time has passed.

The Air Force is in a cultural free fall and the leadership has thoroughly discredited itself, but they won't pay for sticking their finger in the cultural winds and abdicating the responsibility that has been handed down to them. Those who were subjected to this insanity (and tried to resist it) will be the ones who bear the impact of this colossal failure.

Your tailhook shenanigans ruined it for the rest of us!:D

Your tailhook shenanigans ruined it for the rest of us!:D

That was a little before my time, but it certainly set the course for change. :(

It would be an interesting study to isolate a few data points and measure them pre and post tail hook Navy to see if it brought about the change that was wanted.

That was a little before my time, but it certainly set the course for change. :(

It would be an interesting study to isolate a few data points and measure them pre and post tail hook Navy to see if it brought about the change that was wanted.

I think it was a huge cultural shift in the military. Senior leaders now were accountable for the least little thing under their command.

Not that the Tailhook scandal was appropriate behavior by any means but I found it odd that the press latched on to that and how so many in Congress were surprised by the behavior. Hell, you've got rapes that occur in the military at an alarming rate but never got the media attention nor so many senior leaders fired over it as Tailhook did. The coverage was way overboard in my opinion.

The end result went from concentrating on warfighting and evolved into concentrating on how not to offend others.

IMG_0663.JPG I can't help but to post this again. It's comical value is rooted in the fact that this is the reality of today's military. The cultural shift that took place post talhook is largely responsible for it.

View attachment 55429 I can't help but to post this again. It's comical value is rooted in the fact that this is the reality of today's military. The cultural shift that took place post talhook is largely responsible for it.

I keep saying there needs to be a sizable slice in there on "where did I put my PT belt?" :D

Another fine example of what passes for "journalism" today.

As both a Tailhook Association and Barstooler member, a GAU-8 firepower demonstration appears to be in order in the Charlotte area:cool:.

Cheers

Agreed, sounds like what many call "liberal pu$$y whining". The biggest hint is "startled residents, office workers and practicing Carolina Panthers players and coaches".
I am surprised nobody mentioned any schools, daycares or similar. THE HORROR! :D

I keep saying there needs to be a sizable slice in there on "where did I put my PT belt?" :D

Same here...same leadership decision making that had us doing PT Tests for record on a FOB in a combat zone and having to wear the PT Belt.:rolleyes:

On the matter of the flyovers...WTH has overcome the people in this country? During the cold war years sonic booms and flyovers were cool...now a plane flew by and I'm so scared...I saw a plane land in the harbor they should be fined because I'm scared...

Same here...same leadership decision making that had us doing PT Tests for record on a FOB in a combat zone and having to wear the PT Belt.:rolleyes:

What I thought was funny was when the Army came out with the new PTs in late 2000. I thought, cool, they come with reflective paint on the shorts and shirt. No mo stupid PT belt. Nope, still not visible enough. Wear the belt.

On the matter of the flyovers...WTH has overcome the people in this country? During the cold war years sonic booms and flyovers were cool...now a plane flew by and I'm so scared...I saw a plane land in the harbor they should be fined because I'm scared...

Sonic booms were cool. Last one I heard was in Florida as the space shuttle flew over for landing in I believe 1992. Shook me outta bed it did....

Back