Approval authority for FAA minor mods on Type Certificated aircraft

kontiki

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Kontiki
I've had my A&P since the late 70's, but stopped turning wrenches when I got an Electrical Engineering degree (96).

In the last 4-5 years, I re-discovered GA and got into flying. I've stayed away from the maintenence, because I don't want to just work all the time. I get enough at my airline day job. I am curious about the possibilities for setting up a GA based Engineering company. I'm not commited to the idea, just wondering about the possibilities.

Is there a credential someone can hold to give them approval authority for FAA minor modifications on a Type Certificated aircraft operated under part 91?

I have a pretty good idea how it's handled at a part 121 airline. I've handled a number of fleet modification projects that involved STCs. The engineering department of a Part 121 operator can approve FAA minor alterations.

From what I've read on POA, no FAA minor changes are allowed on a certificated aircraft for an airplane operated under part 91. If you want to make a change (outside of maybe hardware substitution), STCs and 337s are are the only options.

Is that correct?

"Minor" alterations do not need approval.

read 43-A

What you really need is a DER ticket.

contact your local FSDO for the proper method of becoming a DER.

read 43-A

Bingo, you already have the authority to make minor modifications. It's the major ones we need the help getting the approved data for.

Bingo, you already have the authority to make minor modifications. It's the major ones we need the help getting the approved data for.

Well, not too long ago someone was showcasing the high cost of a an elbow vacume pump fitting from some supplier. It was the part the airplane IPC called for. Why all the fuss, just substitute an equivalent or better part?

Well, not too long ago someone was showcasing the high cost of a an elbow vacume pump fitting from some supplier. It was the part the airplane IPC called for. Why all the fuss, just substitute an equivalent or better part?
Because they won't work.

I've tried.

In addition to the Part 43 regs re: Minor Alterations and for owner produced parts, also wise to study the Vintage Aircraft maint advisory circular.

read 43-A

Thanks for the reference. I needed to rediscover that FAR.

I'll have to come up to speed on what a freelance DER can approve.

There's all manner of designees used by the FAA.

My boyfriend is an engineer and he has designed / built items for several aircraft recently, under his friend's LLC. They have a lot of tools / large equipment and manufactured panels for old planes that needed new avionics.

My boyfriend is an engineer and he has designed / built items for several aircraft recently, under his friend's LLC. They have a lot of tools / large equipment and manufactured panels for old planes that needed new avionics.

I'm sure there's a lot of that going on and a real need for it too.

I'm not sold on jumping in to form another "me-too" operation that just scrapes by.

Judging from what I've seen, there's a real need for someone that can just fix electrical problems the first time.

I took an airplane out for night landings on a moonless night last weekend. Maint had been working on instrument lighting, whis was out.

I have a couple good headlamps, so I was OK with that. I also saw the landing light flicker a few times but it seemed to be staying on, so I took it.

It cut out on my on one of my approaches, and there was no way good way to judge the flare. Fortunately, I have been putting a lot of work in on my stabalized approach.

I didn't land too terribly hard, and the light came back on when I did, but I didn't like it much.

I'm sure there's a lot of that going on and a real need for it too.

I'm not sold on jumping in to form another "me-too" operation that just scrapes by.

Judging from what I've seen, there's a real need for someone that can just fix electrical problems the first time.

I took an airplane out for night landings on a moonless night last weekend. Maint had been working on instrument lighting, whis was out.

I have a couple good headlamps, so I was OK with that. I also saw the landing light flicker a few times but it seemed to be staying on, so I took it.

It cut out on my on one of my approaches, and there was no way good way to judge the flare. Fortunately, I have been putting a lot of work in on my stabalized approach.

I didn't land too terribly hard, and the light came back on when I did, but I didn't like it much.

We could make it rich, headlamps for pilots that double as landing lights at the touch of a button! In case the landing light fails before landing.

Back