Appropriate time to turn crosswind

Owen Becker

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Owen Becker
Say you're executing a go around and climb up 200 feet to 300 feet below TPA, however, you haven't reached midfield of the runway. No other traffic in the pattern, appropriate to turn crosswind considering you've reached the AIM's recommended altitude for a crosswind turn?

Say you're executing a go around and climb up 200 feet to 300 feet below TPA, however, you haven't reached midfield of the runway. No other traffic in the pattern, appropriate to turn crosswind considering you've reached the AIM's recommended altitude for a crosswind turn?

AIM recommends beyond the departure end of the runway. See FIG’s 4-3-2 and 4-3-3 on pages 4-3-4 and 4-3-5

I'm with him ^^^

If you're at a non-towered airport it would be safer to wait just in case someone isn't talking and you haven't noticed them yet. Also the extra time to set up for the next attempt is usually helpful for me. Why shorten the downwind after a rejected landing?

After passing the end of the runway,keeps any confusion to a minimum.

AC 90-66B

Turning Crosswind. Airplanes remaining in the traffic pattern should not commence a turn to the crosswind leg until beyond the departure end of the runway and within 300 feet below traffic pattern altitude. Pilots should make the turn to downwind leg at the traffic pattern altitude.

I take off and immediately turn crosswind and downwind and I'm at pattern altitude by then and pulling power to land! Of course only if the pattern is empty and only in my current plane!

If the “pattern” is going to work and be good for anything then we should all try to keep in the agreed zones, even if it’s a bit inconvenient at times. Broadcasting your deviation or intentions is not a perfect solution. I was in the pattern with a Cessna last week and he had a radio, then he didn’t. A switch got bumped into the wrong position and he was unintentionally, and unknowingly nordo for a couple of circuits.

Back