Approaching WHP VFR from the west

sleeper-319

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
sleeper-319
I’ve flown in & out of Whiteman (KWHP) a bunch of times, but never approached from the west. If I’m coming from Santa Barbara (KSBA) or Santa Inez (KIZA), is there a preferred route or set of waypoints to best stay out of the way of VNY and BUR Rwy8 traffic?

Appreciate any advice from folks who regularly fly between Whiteman and any of the airports to the west like CMA, OXR, SBA, etc.. Thanks.

I haven’t landed there but I believe most pilots just follow the 118 east bound while on FF with SoCal and then get handed off. Wolficorn on YouTube is based at WHP. Here’s a video where he did the exact same route.

Ok thanks. So in that vid he didn’t follow the 118, instead went past SZP/FIM then through the Newhall pass. But sounds like from SoCal’s asking “you gonna follow the 118 or Newhall pass” that both are fine. Thanks.

Ok thanks. So in that vid he didn’t follow the 118, instead went past SZP/FIM then through the Newhall pass. But sounds like from SoCal’s asking “you gonna follow the 118 or Newhall pass” that both are fine. Thanks.
My bad. Could be thinking of someone else’s video.

When flying to WHP from the west through VNY airspace, I’ve had Flight Following and have been handed off to the VNY Tower. The VNY Tower talks with planes arriving from the north through the Newhall Pass, and controls WHP-bound planes to avoid conflicts.

If VFR, fly the valley past KSZP, stay above 4500' as there is an acrobatic box in that area to Magic Mountain, , through Newhall Pass, be sure to decend imediatly to avoid the Burbank shelf at 3,000.
"Whiteman tower, Bugsmasher XXXX, Newhall Pass, landing with Delta." Easy and will set you up for a straight in on 12.

SoCal will sometimes drop you just before VNY without a handoff, I'm not the only one this has happened to. Be sure and let the controller know you want to talk to VNY on your way to WHP.

SoCal will sometimes drop you just before VNY without a handoff, I'm not the only one this has happened to. Be sure and let the controller know you want to talk to VNY on your way to WHP.
I'll bet this makes the VNY Tower controllers mad. The question is whether they get upset with SoCal or with pilots. Either way, your advice is important.

I've heard SoCal and the area towers take some amazing nonsense from pilots and trainees -- in stride like it was a basic day (probably because it is for them). I have a theory that they are lab-grown superhumans and impossible to anger. :D

Easiest from Santa Barbara is to follow the valley up from SZP to Santa Clarita then southeast and call in over Newhall Pass for a straight-in.

Back