Approaching FLX

Coinneach

Display Name

Display name:
Coinneach
Flying a friend from HND to FLX this weekend, and I'm more confused by FLX than by the LAS b-space.

FLX is five miles north of FNL, which is class D military. The winds more or less favor FLX 21, which is not noted as right traffic. However, the 5 mile 45 to left downwind 21 is smack through FNL's airspace and directly off 31L/31R.

View attachment 98438

I am perplexed. It seems to my tiny brain that 21 should be right traffic, no?

Talk to Fallon, fly through their airspace, land at FLX. Easy peasy.

Or, don't fly bomber patterns, and don't talk to Fallon. You also don't have to fly a 45 to downwind, or even a downwind.

...don't fly bomber patterns...

...You also don't have to fly a 45 to downwind...

...or even a downwind.

shocked_pikachu.jpg

Flying a friend from HND to FLX this weekend, and I'm more confused by FLX than by the LAS b-space.

FLX is five miles north of FNL, which is class D military. The winds more or less favor FLX 21, which is not noted as right traffic. However, the 5 mile 45 to left downwind 21 is smack through FNL's airspace and directly off 31L/31R.

View attachment 98438

I am perplexed. It seems to my tiny brain that 21 should be right traffic, no?
Like said above, you can get in without bugging NFL Tower. Or being bugged by them if you call them and ask to go through to get to FLX and they don't like it and get all snarky with you about it. But yeah, it seems like a place where keeping the pattern on the North side would make some sense. Airport Managers number is 775-243-5107. You could call and ask them if they've ever thought about that and if so, why not.

Orrrr I could approach on 3 and do a procedure turn to get back to 21, really mess with everyone's head.

Back