Approaching Bakersfield CA from the NE.

gismo

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iGismo
I decided to fly myself to the National Waterski tournament in Bakersfield next month and have been studying potential routes across the mountains and into California. Seems there's a huge chunk of military airspace (restricted and MOA) just east of Bakersfield and I'm wondering if I am likely to have to circumnavigate it. It looks like doing so would add nearly 100 NM if I go IFR. Any CA / NV pilots familiar with this area?

Xpost on red.

Last edited:
Yeah, its pretty easy to go around / through. At Baron speeds, it should only add 15 minutes total if you're forced around.

I dodge it just because I get lazy sometimes on the way to/from AZ from the Bay Area.

AirBaker said:
Yeah, its pretty easy to go around / through. At Baron speeds, it should only add 15 minutes total if you're forced around.

I dodge it just because I get lazy sometimes on the way to/from AZ from the Bay Area.
All that stuff ends at FL 18. Fly high, wear O2, go direct. :yes:

bbchien said:

Easy for you to say:D. OTOH, dropping from 18,000 to 1400 MSL in 10 NM is a rather steep descent:p.

bbchien said:

Need a turbo... :) One day.

Actually there's another MOA with the base at 20k out there too I think.

lancefisher said:
Thanks, I'll give them a call and check the websites.
Also, try calling Joshua on a late night when they are not so busy and more inclined to spend time answering your every question. They are nice folks and a wealth of information. So much information, in fact, that a call to them should qualify under the Wings program.:)

Back