Approaches, Holds, and Safety Pilot

In regard to a VFR pilot using a safety pilot to log approaches. You cannot legally file IFR with just a safety pilot if you are not instrument rated. So, no.

If the safety pilot is instrument rated, the safety pilot can file IFR. This has zero bearing on what the sole manipulator can log. It's irrelevant whether he or she is Instrument rated. It's loggable.

who cares, log it. If the 20 hours of simulated instrument PIC matters to you flying for the airline, then somebody somewhere has way too much time on their hands.

Otherwise, none of it matters. Why? because here is no SIC time remotely relevant to any single engine operation. If you've moved up to twins, even there - only turbine twins have SIC rules -and once again, I don't know too many of us flying King Airs for uncompensated GA travel.

Are you 1000 above the cloud deck or only 992?

Yes. As long as you are in VMC and not on an IFR flight plan.
Why "as long as"? If you are on an IFR flight plan, and are not instrument rated, then the "safety pilot" needs to be instrument rated and PIC in order for the flight to be legal. But you can still log the holds and approaches, just as you could if the "safety pilot" were a CFII and you were training for the IR.

Whether you are in VMC or not has no bearing on the question, except that if you aren't in VMC then you need to be on an IFR flight plan for the flight to be legal, and then what I wrote above applies.

who cares, log it. If the 20 hours of simulated instrument PIC matters to you flying for the airline, then somebody somewhere has way too much time on their hands.

Otherwise, none of it matters. Why? because here is no SIC time remotely relevant to any single engine operation. If you've moved up to twins, even there - only turbine twins have SIC rules -and once again, I don't know too many of us flying King Airs for uncompensated GA travel.

Are you 1000 above the cloud deck or only 992?

Flight time is flight time and 20 hours is 20 hours. Is disparaging people for saving money a sign that someone has way too much time on their hands?

Flight time is flight time and 20 hours is 20 hours. Is disparaging people for saving money a sign that someone has way too much time on their hands?
did you miss my comment where I said: LOG IT!

Geesh. Tough crowd.

If the safety pilot is instrument rated, the safety pilot can file IFR. This has zero bearing on what the sole manipulator can log. It's irrelevant whether he or she is Instrument rated. It's loggable.

Flying under IFR is not required (nor is it sufficient) to log approaches or anything else for IFR currency.

For instrument rating you have to fly it (to the limits specified in the chief counsel letter) and you have to do so solely by reference to instruments.

Flying under IFR is not required (nor is it sufficient) to log approaches or anything else for IFR currency.

For instrument rating you have to fly it (to the limits specified in the chief counsel letter) and you have to do so solely by reference to instruments.

Where do you think I said it was? I said flying under IFR or VFR was not relevant to the issue. You are taking my post out of context and completely twisting it around. I was responding to this:

Yes. As long as you are in VMC and not on an IFR flight plan.

Sorry, I wasn't disagreeing with you. I should have quoted labbadabba's post, directly. There's no requirement that you be flying under IFR to instrument time.

Back