Approach through TFR?

flyingpreacher

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
flyingpreacher
My home base is Williamsport, PA and for one week every year, the eyes of the world turn toward our little cutout in the hollows of Pennsylvania to watch the Little League World Series.

One of the special events of the week is that they host a major league game at the local minor league stadium and only the teams and their families can attend. Being that it is a Major League sporting event, the FAA naturally posts a TFR. No problem…except that the field is inside of the KIPT Class D and the RNAV 9 approach grazes the TFR.

I have read through 91.145 and don’t see anything that specifically deals with this situation. On an IFR flight plan, flying a designated approach path, could you fly through the corner of the TFR, or is that still a no-go?

Chance of TStorms anyway, so probably irrelevant, but I want to know for my own curiosity sake anyway.

FCB04AEF-4A0B-4098-8F42-7C555A0194D5.jpeg

If ATC clears you through it, then yes.

Also, just looked again and it turns out I was reading the profile view incorrectly. That’s not a TFR depicted, it’s the terrain clearance. So the question’s details are irrelevant, but the principle of the question still stands.

You got me into the wayback machine and took me back to post katrina New Orleans. Always had a couple of TFRs in effect. One day, had three. One was a moving TFR. Were they ever penetrated? Shucks yeah. Always had one of the two AWACs overhead.

Last edited:
Some people really need to review TFRs and read the NOTAMs.

You can fly through them with clearance by ATC. On an IFR flight plan, not a big deal. If VFR, you need to contact the controller and get a squawk.

For the Pres ones, the inner circle is typically no go unless 121 and a couple of other exceptions

I have flown into the outer ring of a presidential TFR under VFR (prior to instrument rating) and dotted the i’s and crossed the t’s so it was a non-event but I have just always avoided sporting events.

Ok, this one wasn’t a TFR, but would a minor league stadium with presumably under 30k seats warrant a stadium TFR even if there were 2 MLB teams playing there? I’d think not.

You can fly through a tfr with clearance.

To answer your original question, no you can't fly through that terrain even with the clearance to do so :biggrin:

Flying into terrain can grant you instant celebrity status!
Yes, it would be as a "Don't be <that> guy!" meme, but celebrity status is celebrity status.
Just sayin'

I just spent a few days before the games started. Nice convenient stop going west. You can fly through the tfr on a flight plan when cleared by ATC.

Back