Approach question

Speed

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Speed
Referencing the attached chart, 5000 at STYKR is mandatory. The Jepp chart actually says Mandatory... So is it okay to accept a clearance from ATC 'cross STYKR at 4000, cleared for the RNAV Z 17R approach"?

Attachments

• SDF RNP 17R.JPG
    SDF RNP 17R.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 51
I would think that is fine as long as they don't send you lower than the MVA for that area. Now, if you asked to fly the published approach, and they agreed, you'd be at 5,000....

I would probably ask, "Is the altitude restriction at STYKR deleted?"

Is this a hypothetical or did they clear you at 4,000?

I wouldn't think they'd clear you at 4K for this approach. BTW, the NOS chart shows the altitude as "Mandatory" too, just without the word. The bar above and below the altitude means AT that altitude. I'm sure you knew that, just mentioning it anyway.

Is this a hypothetical or did they clear you at 4,000?

I wouldn't think they'd clear you at 4K for this approach. BTW, the NOS chart shows the altitude as "Mandatory" too, just without the word. The bar above and below the altitude means AT that altitude. I'm sure you knew that, just mentioning it anyway.

We did get cleared for that... I thought it was odd and was going to ask to double check but the other guy I was flying with said since the MSA is 3600 to not worry about it. I might give the tower a call next week and ask them.

If they said, 4000, they had a reason, a simple "confirm Strykr at 4000" question would not be out of place.

Back