Approach Plates - Q's from a new student

MSmith

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mark Smith
Which approach plates do you use?

What part of the country do you buy/subscribe to?

If you choose Jeppesen, do you subscribe through their website or are there other sites that sell the subscriptions (at other prices)?

MSmith said:

If you choose Jeppesen, do you subscribe through their website or are there other sites that sell the subscriptions (at other prices)?

I had been using Jep, I go mine through Spinners Pilot shop but they just drop ship form Jep anyways. I liked the Exprese packs. Taht way I did not have to do a lot of updates, just replace them each cycle like the NOS. But Jep no longer includes the charts, and this month they sent an insulting letter that for $30/yr I can get charts again. BS, I am going to start using NOS again.

I liked Jep and a few years ago it was easy to just stop in to the pilot shop and grab 'em if I was flying somewhere new and needed charts, but they stopped that. Now you have to order them. Last year I needed some charts for a flight and I ordered them but the ones I got were to be superceded in two weeks, the day before my flight. I had to by NOS anyways.

MSmith said:

I go online and print off what I need, plus an alternate, plus a few emergency fields along the way.

MSmith said:
NACO (FAA). It's a bunch cheaper than Jepp for the same coverage without doing all the weekly updates, and if I leave my regular area, I'm still using the same type of charts when I buy some at the FBO from which I start the second leg of the trip.

New England down to Georgia and west to Ohio. This pretty well covers anywhere I can reach from Salisbury MD on one tank of gas even with the most favorable winds for which I can hope.

MSmith said:

I've decided on NOS, just because they're everywhere. And, for specific flights, you can print free current ones off the internet (AOPA has them, etc.) (As EdFredSaid)

I don't subscribe to anything (yet), but do buy the bound version and keep it current for local flying.

After the checkride, I'll see how much travelling I do, and decide on subscriptions then.

I'll usually print out the updated NACO charts, and if it's a familiar airport I might just compare the current chart to my older Jepp ones for differences. Then I use the previous Jepp chart just since its easier to read.

The NACO ones are just fine.

I would suggest that before selecting one or the other chart supplier based on price alone, you should learn how each system handles updates and corrections and then decide which you prefer based on the features either system offers/does not offer. Regarding chart changes, NACO requires you to check all NOTAMS and the mid-cycle update publication and then make the appropriate corrections to every chart you intend to use or might happen to use. Jepp charts are up-to-date within the last <14 days of NOTAMS--usually there are no applicable NOTAM changes to the Jepp publications as the Jepp revision cycle corresponds to the NACO cycle. That added bit of safety/error proofing may or may not be worth something to you.

I've tried Jepp (loved the format, hated the updates, moaned about the cost), NACO, and for the last several years have used Airchart's updating service with NACO charts and plates. This has only gotten better with the ability to download and print any chart that's changed significantly. I need coverage for a significant part of the US and Airchart gives me the whole country for a fraction of the cost of a NACO subscription.

I use Jepp. I prefer the higher contrast and better-quality paper which is, to me, easier on the eyes. Ironically, the reason some people chose NACO is the same reason I chose Jepp: I am not a professional pilot. The NACO-choosers usually finish this statement with, ". . . therefore I don't want to pay a lot for something I don't use that often." I finish the statement with, " . . . therefore I want to have the very best at my side for those times I do fly."

The second reason is that:
Ed Guthrie said:
. . . NACO requires you to check all NOTAMS and the mid-cycle update publication and then make the appropriate corrections to every chart you intend to use or might happen to use. Jepp charts are up-to-date within the last <14 days of NOTAMS--usually there are no applicable NOTAM changes to the Jepp publications as the Jepp revision cycle corresponds to the NACO cycle. . . .

If you use Jepp, though, you should still be conversant wth the NACO format as this is what you'll find on the written exam, and what you may need to use if you go out of your area. Also, you may want to check if your future DPE has a preference. I expect most won't care what you use.

lancefisher said:
for the last several years have used Airchart's updating service with NACO charts and plates. This has only gotten better with the ability to download and print any chart that's changed significantly.

I was wondering if anyone here used Airchart, looks like a decent way to go...

I used to subscribe to and then went to buying individually, the Jepp regional packets for many years at the Aviator's Store at BFI but, can see I will probably be trying the NACO/Airchart route soon via computer.

MSmith said:

I started out with Jeppesen's Express subscription for the SouthEast. I forget which website I used. When I renewed, I did it through Jeppesen. As an instrument student, all I needed was a small area. I do wish Jeppesen would allow you to bundle by the state. I would have chosen VA, NC, SC while doing my training.

I didn't neglect NACO's products. Even though I prefer the Jeppesen format, I used NACO enroute & approach plates interchangebly through my checkride. Since then I've been 90% Jeppesen. Like Ben, I like the contrast of the high quality paper that Jeppesen uses.

I've since, migrated to JeppView for the East Coast. I subscribe through Jeppesen. JeppView is very powerful. I don't really like printing, but it beats carrying 40# of unneeded charts for a single trip. I print all the ILS within 30nm of my route and selected GPS approaches. My selected GPS approaches are at my predetermined "outs" along the route.

What I need to find is a color laser printer that can handle duplex with the Jeppesen paper. My HP 5850 (Photo InkJet) has the duplex, but it can't seem to get the pages lined up after the automated flip. If I manually duplex, it works great. :dunno:

Last edited:
maximus said:
are online plates leagal for IFR flight?
Yes, as long as you get them from a source which keeps them current, like on the AOPA site.

If so I might some $$$
Maybe, maybe not. Depends on whether you are willing to fly with less than a full set for your area of interest. If you add up the cost of the paper and ink (cartridges ain't cheap), the $3/book price is pretty good even before you figure the value of your time downloading and printing.

I like jepp for both charts and plates, I have the Northeast subscription. I get the charts covering Maine down to Virginia. If you want you can get the plates for what ever area you want on CD from Jepp. I find the lighter paper on the jepp charts easier to manage and fold in flight. The NOS or NACO charts are ok but I learned on Jepps so I find them easier to read and will give a big ditto to Bens comments on that subject. I would never say either is a bad decision though.

Thanks, folks.

I went with Jepp Express East and Mid-Atlantic (in South Jersey we're near the border). I was careful to have the express pack start with the 12/23 cycle - it won't make much difference for the next 2 weeks to use NACO charts from the web.

My previous job flying chartered lears and KAs we used NOS. The company I'm at now uses Jepp Q service world wide. I agree with Ed G. about being familar with how updates and changes are handled. In the end I don't get to choose so I don't really care. I just fly the approach plate and try to get down to see the pavement. I can tell you that we are switching to EFBs in the cockpit and they use Jepps and I really like that setup.

Back