Approach Plate Symbols

mrclean

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
MrClean
Question 1.) Why on the ILS 17RWY PNC is the NDB/LOM "PONCA" grayed out? My guess it is not used for the approach but I can not find a reference anywhere.
rhttp://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/1111/00603ILD17.PDF

Question 2.) What does the "HS1 or HS2" with a circle around intersection on airport diagrams mean in approach plates? e.g. MHK airport diagram
http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/1111/05241AD.PDF

I guess my main question for both is where can I find reference stating these answers?

Thanks

Christopher

Question 1.) Why on the ILS 17RWY PNC is the NDB/LOM "PONCA" grayed out? My guess it is not used for the approach but I can not find a reference anywhere.
rhttp://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/1111/00603ILD17.PDF
They're getting rid of it - trying to tell you it's there but it's not part of the approach procedure. You'll see it disappear entirely soon.

mrclean said:
Question 2.) What does the "HS1 or HS2" with a circle around intersection on airport diagrams mean in approach plates? e.g. MHK airport diagram
http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/1111/05241AD.PDF
Those are hot spots:
http://www.faa.gov/airports/runway_safety/hotspots/hotspots_list/

Thanks for the answer about the Hot Spots

I guess my main question for both is where can I find reference stating these answers?

Although I haven't tackled it yet, I think all the symbology is in the Instrument Procedures Handbook.

They're getting rid of it - trying to tell you it's there but it's not part of the approach procedure. You'll see it disappear entirely soon.

I wonder if it has anything with its use as an alternate missed approach fix...

Thanks for all the replies. I did find the symbol for the Hot Spots in the
"Terminal Procedures Publication (TPP)" manual, but still no luck on why the NDB would be shaded. Both of the answers you all have given seem to be logic and make sense, but the FAA does not state why it would be. I mean, they explain the symbol for the international date line, but not why a navaid would be shaded. Unless I am just missing it somewhere. Maybe I should ask the people who publish the approach plates directly? Their contact information is inside on back of the front cover.

Maybe I should ask the people who publish the approach plates directly? Their contact information is inside on back of the front cover.

That's the best option, if you want to be as close to 100% certain of the answer as you can get....

I have a contact at AeroNav who has always been very responsive to email questions; I'll see if he can provide some insight.

Last edited:
That's the best option, if you want to be as close to 100% certain of the answer as you can get....

I have a contact at AeroNav who has always been very responsive to email questions; I'll see if he can provide some insight.

From my inquiry:

, I checked the documentation. And yes, the LOM is not used for the final approach fix on the ILS or LOC approach. OKTAE is the final approach fix. So the LOM is no longer required for this approach. However, because the facility is still radiating, we want pilot's to be aware there is a facility there, so we chart it in what we refer to as "half-tone". Then when the facility is finally decommissioned, it will be removed from the chart.

Brad W. Rush Quality Assurance and Regulatory Support, Manager

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for the answer. I have been searching for that for some time now. Everyone I work with had there own reason why it was "shaded", but I finally know the correct answer.

This has been a big help.

Thank you so much for the answer. I have been searching for that for some time now. Everyone I work with had there own reason why it was "shaded", but I finally know the correct answer.

This has been a big help.

You bet. Here's a current NOTAM for KSAV, where the "half-tone" LOM is being removed from the chart.

FDC 1/5916 SAV FI/P IAP SAVANNAH/HILTON HEAD INTL, SAVANNAH, GA. ILS OR LOC RWY 1, AMDT 8...DELETE IN PLANVIEW: HALF-TONE DANNA OM. THIS IS ILS OR LOC RWY 1, AMDT 8A.

You bet. Here's a current NOTAM for KSAV, where the "half-tone" LOM is being removed from the chart.

FDC 1/5916 SAV FI/P IAP SAVANNAH/HILTON HEAD INTL, SAVANNAH, GA. ILS OR LOC RWY 1, AMDT 8...DELETE IN PLANVIEW: HALF-TONE DANNA OM. THIS IS ILS OR LOC RWY 1, AMDT 8A.

Speaking of the KSAV ILS or LOC RWY 01, what is the "D" at the top of the airport diagram, between the airport elevation and TDZE? The IAP symbols guide I linked in an earlier post doesn't mention it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• ScreenShot056.png
    ScreenShot056.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 62
...what is the "D" at the top of the airport diagram, between the airport elevation and TDZE? The IAP symbols guide I linked in an earlier post doesn't mention it.

attachment.php
It's on page 63. It means "declared distance" information is available in the A/FD. All Part 139 airports need to publish how much distance is available for takeoff runs, accelerate-stop distances, etc. Sometimes the airport management plays with the numbers in order to qualify for certification, resulting in distances that don't square with the actual length of the paved area, such as a displaced threshold.

dtuuri

Back