Approach / Departure Control Procedures

buildrunfly

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
buildrunfly
I'm planning a trip into and out of Santa Barbara and want to be ready for the various radio calls. Was hoping pilots familiar with this airport could confirm and provide tips on what to expect. Here's what I'm expecting:

Inbound:
1. ATIS.
2. Approach control (prior to entering airspace)
3. Tower.
4. Ground (once clear).

Outbound:
1. ATIS.
2. Clearance delivery.
3. Ground (clear to taxi to run-up)
4. Tower.
5. Departure Control.
6. Transfer to flight following.

That the sequence for day VFR? If on flight following on the inbound, when would I terminate or would they make the transfer?

#5 and #6 are the same.

Inbound the Approach Controller, will probably say, "report field in sight" or at a point so many miles out, and then have you call the tower.

Last edited:
No point in terminating when inbound to a controlled airfield. At the appropriate time, which is generally before entering the D or core of the C, approach will switch you to tower.

Looks good,approach will usually ask you to notify them when you have the atis ,and the field in sight.

My son goes to school there, so I make this trip all the time. It is really easy for a Class C. I aim to hit the coast a little to the north (the mountains are a little lower and you don't have to drop as fast). They will tell you to follow the freeway which puts you on a base. They will usually give you 15R. I use Atlantic, normally. You will need to cross 15R, but it will be right to your right, as you exit the runway. On departure, you will need to contact CD. They will usually give you 15L and tell you runway heading below 2,000 on departure. They send you a couple miles out over the ocean, before they release you.

John, the coast around there is directly east/west.

Ok, I don't have a particularly good sense of direction, but I have a GPS :D it would be West, then. I aim for KIZA and then continue over the hill. They will hand you off to the tower, as you cross the last rise. If I go direct from Lincoln. I end up having to lose 5,000 feet in the last four miles, but you will get a straight in, then.

That's how I do it with my class C airport but as mentioned, #5 and #6 on the outbound go together, once you're over to departure, you're on flight following till they terminate or you request a frequency change.

Back