Approach Control, call them or not when VFR?

Robert C.

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
The Flying Dutchman
Planning a VFR flight to KMVY (Martha's Vineyard) from KDXR. KMVY is class D (sfc) air space and I'll be landing there. A/F D and chart mention that Cape Approach can be contacted on 133.75 within 20nm.

As I understand it there is no requirement to talk to Cape Approach since I'm VFR and the airspace I'll be flying into is Class D and not B or C.

It might make sense for me to request flight following earlier in the flight in which case i'll probably be handed off to them at some point.

Am I missing anything? Or does the above correctly summarize the options and expectations?

Thanks

Robert

Planning a VFR flight to KMVY (Martha's Vineyard) from KDXR. KMVY is class D (sfc) air space and I'll be landing there. A/F D and chart mention that Cape Approach can be contacted on 133.75 within 20nm.

As I understand it there is no requirement to talk to Cape Approach since I'm VFR and the airspace I'll be flying into is Class D and not B or C.

It might make sense for me to request flight following earlier in the flight in which case i'll probably be handed off to them at some point.

Am I missing anything? Or does the above correctly summarize the options and expectations?

Thanks

Robert

Technically you don't need to talk to approach control, but for all intents and purposes MVY works like a Class C airport with Approach vectoring and sequencing inbound aircraft prior to hand-off with the tower. If you wait and just talk to tower, there's a chance you may get delayed or sent back to approach for sequencing. There are plenty of airports that are technically class D, but operate more like a C.

My answer is I don't see any good reason not to call cape approach up prior to arrival.

Either get FF when you leave KDXR and get handed to Cape or go without FF and contact Cape within 20nm.

Technically you don't need to talk to approach control, but for all intents and purposes MVY works like a Class C airport with Approach vectoring and sequencing inbound aircraft prior to hand-off with the tower. If you wait and just talk to tower, there's a chance you may get delayed or sent back to approach for sequencing. There are plenty of airports that are technically class D, but operate more like a C.

My answer is I don't see any good reason not to call cape approach up prior to arrival.

Thanks Rich and Brad, you confirmed what I suspected. I'll be calling Cape Approach or do FF from the very start.

Fly safe.

Robert

I would contact NY apprch 126.4 leaving DXR for Radar Advisories. The biggest aid will be talking to Providence Approach. I think you will find that the busiest airspace on your trip. I have done this flight several times from BDR. Hand off to MVY is a piece of cake. Just my experience.

I've never had a bad time after contacting approach while flying VFR. They should provide you flight advisories, and most importantly, you won't be that guy that is at 12 o'clock, 2 miles, co altitude secondary only and not talking to anyone. Not that there is anything legally wrong with that, but it helps everyone out.

I almost always have been talking to ATC for exactly the reasons why C'Ron states. I've got mode S TIS, a Zaon XRX, and almost always another pilot in the right seat and I still appreciate the "radar eyes" of ATC. The only times I've ever had negative issues with ATC were times I was obliged to talk to them anyhow (either IFR or inside a class B).

I've never had a bad time after contacting approach while flying VFR. They should provide you flight advisories, and most importantly, you won't be that guy that is at 12 o'clock, 2 miles, co altitude secondary only and not talking to anyone. Not that there is anything legally wrong with that, but it helps everyone out.

What is the worst that can happen, ATC gives you an "unable" for VFR advisories? That has happened to me once and the control wasn't upset with the request.

What is the worst that can happen, ATC gives you an "unable" for VFR advisories? That has happened to me once and the control wasn't upset with the request.
At the very least, you're helping ATC identify anonymous blips on their radar screen.

I would get flight following for a handoff to cape approach the vineyard gets very busy and if you try to talk to the tower directly they may have you stay out of their airspace until it gets less busy.

I almost always have been talking to ATC for exactly the reasons why C'Ron states. I've got mode S TIS, a Zaon XRX, and almost always another pilot in the right seat and I still appreciate the "radar eyes" of ATC. The only times I've ever had negative issues with ATC were times I was obliged to talk to them anyhow (either IFR or inside a class B).

:yeahthat:

I don't have those gizmos in the cockpit, and I really love having an extra set of eyes. I picked up flight following today, and the controller asked me "are you a flight of two today?" If I hadn't already seen the traffic passing not too far over top of me, I would have been pretty spooked! Kinda like this guy: :yikes:

You've got it right, and I echo the people that say to call them up and get all the hepl you can up here. It's very busy on the weekends.

Assuming you're staying over the land, you'll start out with NY Approach, they will pass you to PVD Approach once you cross the CT river (usually 119.45 is the freq), and then once you get in the area of the COSSY intersection they'll pass you off to Cape Approach (133.75).

PS: stop into Dooney Aviation on the south side of WST for some of the cheapist fuel in the area. :)

PPS: Don't ask MVY for FF when you depart, he'll just tell you to contact Cape and ask them.

Last edited:
All of the replies thus far have been Vineyard-centric, but you won't be flying there forever. Make flight following a habit no matter where you are going...it will stand you in good stead some day.

Bob Gardner

A quick question (not intended to derail the OP) - is there a certain distance in which it is impractical to request flight following? As an example, if I have a 20 mile leg out of uncontrolled to get to the OP's airport, would a 10 minute flight warrant a flight following request, or how would you ask to get into the airport without flight following?

A quick question (not intended to derail the OP) - is there a certain distance in which it is impractical to request flight following? As an example, if I have a 20 mile leg out of uncontrolled to get to the OP's airport, would a 10 minute flight warrant a flight following request, or how would you ask to get into the airport without flight following?

If the destination is even remotely busy, I'm going to call approach control for flight following just to get their help getting into the traffic flow.

Totally different subject...Once upon a time I was landing on runway 25 at PHX at sunset, and I couldn't see the runway to save my life because of the sun glare. Approach control got me onto final and the tower talked me down to the threshold. This was before they had an ILS...you can imagine how long ago that was. Would have been very difficult without approach control.

Bob Gardner

Back