Apprenticeship and Pay?

I don't disagree with your assessment of the insurance biz in medical, Tony. If you've figured out how to afford oncology treatments without medical coverage, and have that kind of bread in the bank, more power to ya. Most folks don't.

As you might have seen, a co-worker of mine just had a three year old diagnosed with cancer, and the Docs attacked it and the kid is cancer-free at four. The bill, last I heard was over $300,000, pushing $400,000.

That's bankruptcy for 90% of families if not insured. To amortize that, that's over $2000/mo for 50 years if he could make 6% on his investment.

You're correct in your assessment that it would be better for all if medical bills were cash and carry, but brain surgery and oncology aren't cheap, even at cash prices.

You may or may not be right about term life. Most folks under 40 find it a pretty small bill in the grand scheme of things, and most only insure to do exactly what you said, pay off the mortgage if something happens to the breadwinner. More coverage than that, is probably overkill as you said.

It's a trade off of the breadwinner working most of their life to pay off the mortgage and owning the house, or them passing and same result. I'm sure the family would rather have them around and having to run off to work each day than dead and the house free and clear, so I wouldn't call the dead scenario "better".

:rofl:

Nothing Texans like to do more than talk about how great Texas is... And that includes their press!

A quick update: I brought up a new schedule with the boss and informed him that I cannot come as often because I have to take a (paying) job so that I can pay off my tuition that's still due. He said okay and did not have any questions or comments. As for safety equipment I've been using my shirt over my nose when sand blasting or messing with insulation.Same with solvents and solutions. I need to buy a mask this weekend. Bought a $2 pair of safety glasses but sure don't have the tools for the job! Not buying any beyond my basic set when I'm not being paid. Plus it costs about $12 a day in gas when gas is $3.21, it's at $3.39 right now. Oh well.

BUT, BUT, I did get to fly an informal lesson for 1.5hrs at night last week with an A&P as a bribe for helping him with a plane. A very dirty one. That was a great flight. First night flight too. Silly to want to stay just for the hope of another one of those. Yet I still do.

As far as pay, the opportunity cost is beginning to accumulate. I passed up a job offer that would have been full time (but requires me to drop out of school) that pays 15/hr. because I was told that pay would come in the next couple of weeks.

So $15*40hrs= $600/week * 11 weeks (since the job offer)=$6600, an amount that would have gotten me to solo :(

Dude, you need to make yourself more informed about your legal standing. The shop has to provide you with all your PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) by law, and OSHA means serious business about this stuff, fines for them start at $10,000. Quit being an idiot, there are other shops that will pay you for doing what you're doing for free.

Hmmm. sounds like someone is laying a foundation for a lawsuit..:dunno::mad:

And a Gross Negligence one at that, actually, the best thing that could happen to the kid at this point would be to lose an eye or arm, set for life and he may actually learn something from it. This whole story is so f-ed up any lawyer would have a field day mopping up the owners remains after OSHA was done stomping him into the ground. As the judge said, "Ignorance of the law is not an excuse or a defense." I'd hate to be the lawyer representing the shop when this kid gets hurt, his row to hoe will be Texas Hardpan in August.

or nursing, or accounting, or...

I never cease to be amazed that young people will make a conscious decision to have a lifetime of poverty.
That's my girl! (24 y.o daughter)....

Dude, you need to make yourself more informed about your legal standing. The shop has to provide you with all your PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) by law, and OSHA means serious business about this stuff, fines for them start at $10,000. Quit being an idiot, there are other shops that will pay you for doing what you're doing for free.

Iirc, this is one of those deals where the OP has been hanging around the airport and finally pestered the shop owner into allowing him to 'work' there. I am not quite sure what the objective of this project is, whether this would even be creditable towards an A&P certificate etc. There are certainly people who have tunneled their way into the A&P world by that route, I am just not sure that that particular shop/airport is a great place for that option.

Iirc, this is one of those deals where the OP has been hanging around the airport and finally pestered the shop owner into allowing him to 'work' there. I am not quite sure what the objective of this project is, whether this would even be creditable towards an A&P certificate etc. There are certainly people who have tunneled their way into the A&P world by that route, I am just not sure that that particular shop/airport is a great place for that option.

Makes no difference to OSHA with regards to PPE nor to the shops liability towards this kid. The shop owner is screwed six ways from Sunday regardless of any signed release by mom, you can't waive Gross Negligence, and not providing the proper PPE has qualified as GN before.

Makes no difference to OSHA with regards to PPE nor to the shops liability towards this kid. The shop owner is screwed six ways from Sunday regardless of any signed release by mom, you can't waive Gross Negligence, and not providing the proper PPE has qualified as GN before.

Oh, no doubt. The shop shouldn't allow him to work there. If he is useful, they should put him on payroll, give him some safety glasses etc. That way, he would be covered under their workmans comp policy, liability insurance etc. Right now, if he crunches an oil-filter gasket, he will pay for it for the rest of his life (or until he can convince a bankruptcy judge to discharge a liability created by gross negligence). Maybe things were easier 50 years ago when you could get your A&P by hanging around the shop after school for two years, don't think it is a reasonable expectation these days.

Last edited:

Yeah GN is true. However I think that I'll have to make my position known soon. If it doesn't work out then I guess the A&P will never happen. I can't afford to drive 50 miles to the next airport with a shop. I don't even have my own car. The shop does good work but I can't help but feel ignored. I like the quality of the work that they do but the treatment is getting old.

I'm learning "best practices" for the actual physical work but the safety culture isn't 100% there. Honestly the closest shop 50 miles away is run worse. Teen age apprentices that pop wheelies in a Tug with a SR22 attached. Never seen a black guy (the owner, he forgot his wallet in the plane, came back) turn so red in ages. Needless to say his plane wasn't worked on there.

One thing for sure, this beats any auto shop I've applied to. $4.25/hr (opportunity wage) in a garage without heat and where you aren't taught anything except which part to break next. Everybody wants ASE and 21.

Last edited:
One thing for sure, this beats any auto shop I've applied to. $4.25/hr (opportunity wage) in a garage without heat and where you aren't taught anything except which part to break next. Everybody wants ASE and 21.

I don't have any good advice for you but I admire your ambition and willingness to work. Keep after it, you're bound to advance with the desire you have.

Yeah GN is true. However I think that I'll have to make my position known soon. If it doesn't work out then I guess the A&P will never happen. I can't afford to drive 50 miles to the next airport with a shop. I don't even have my own car. The shop does good work but I can't help but feel ignored. I like the quality of the work that they do but the treatment is getting old.

I'm learning "best practices" for the actual physical work but the safety culture isn't 100% there. Honestly the closest shop 50 miles away is run worse. Teen age apprentices that pop wheelies in a Tug with a SR22 attached. Never seen a black guy (the owner, he forgot his wallet in the plane, came back) turn so red in ages. Needless to say his plane wasn't worked on there.

Don't walk, RUN away. You want an A&P? Find a school, take out loans and go.

Eyesight, hearing and fingers don't grow back.

Eyesight, hearing and fingers don't grow back.

Hmmmmm..

Apparently you have not read page 1853 of Obamacare..... It clearly says eyeballs, ear drums and digits will regenerate if you vote democratic...:yes::D

Last edited:
Hmmmmm..

Apparently you have not read page 1853 of Obamacare..... I clearly says eyeballs, ear drums and digits will regenerate if you vote democratic...:yes::D

What does this crap have to do with the issue at hand ?

Back