Appraisal: Gulf Coast Avionics GCA-4T

Arbiter419

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
CAucker
Hello everyone,

I just got a beautiful pair of Dave Clarks for Christmas (H10 13.4) and I'm looking to see if this headset can be sold to be put towards my netbook fund. My uncle used this headset when he was learning to fly, probably 20 years ago, and gave it to me a few years ago. I've never had any problems with it, but the only problem is that the ear cups wore out and started leaking, so I threw them out, and the little fuzzy thing covering the mic got lost in transit somewhere along the lines. (I'm almost positive it doesn't affect performance)

wl4xsw.jpg

I sincerely doubt that this particular model is still made anymore, but the closest version I can find is this, the GCA-6T.

http://www.gca.aero/detail/4474/Headsets/GCA/GCA-6T/

Basically, if I was to list this on ebay, or craigslist, what would be a fair asking price?

Thanks! :)

Hello everyone,

I just got a beautiful pair of Dave Clarks for Christmas (H10 13.4) and I'm looking to see if this headset can be sold to be put towards my netbook fund. My uncle used this headset when he was learning to fly, probably 20 years ago, and gave it to me a few years ago. I've never had any problems with it, but the only problem is that the ear cups wore out and started leaking, so I threw them out, and the little fuzzy thing covering the mic got lost in transit somewhere along the lines. (I'm almost positive it doesn't affect performance)

wl4xsw.jpg

I sincerely doubt that this particular model is still made anymore, but the closest version I can find is this, the GCA-6T.

http://www.gca.aero/detail/4474/Headsets/GCA/GCA-6T/

Basically, if I was to list this on ebay, or craigslist, what would be a fair asking price?

Thanks! :)

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I doubt you'll get much for that headset, especially in it's current unusable condition. If I were you I'd consider getting replacement ear seals and then putting it on ebay with no reserve and a $20 "shipping" fee to cover your cost if the bids turn out to be really low. In it's present state I doubt anyone would even bid. Something else I'd do is call David Clark and see if they would replace the ear seals for free, they have a long standing tradition of providing such things at no cost. Are you sure you'd never want a spare pair of headphones for passengers?

Keep Em! You'll find you want a headset just to have in the car in case you happen to be at the airport one day and someone is looking for someone to fly with just for fun, or you unexpectingly have a passenger you thought knew to bring his/her headset with them, but forgot.

Spend a few bucks and get the foam earseals online or see if DC will send you a pair. For the mike muff, go to the craft store and get one of those dense foam paint-brushes, pull it off the wooden stick, clip the corners at an angle if you want to get fancy, and slide it on with a small rubberband. :yesnod: a .50 cent solution.

I routinely keep one of my Ebay bought Sigtronics sets in the car, and did just what I said above, works great, good for a spare, and there when I go flying on a whim after work or on short notice with a friend.

I kind of figured, I mean it would make a great "throwaround" headset to keep as a spare or backup.

Also, are earcups universal? Does one size fit all?

Thanks for the replies!

Hmm,.. don't know if they are universal or not. I may have a pair of foam earseals at home... let me check after work. If i do, I'll PM you for your address and you can try to get them on.

They do take some perserverance to get on the first time, but once you to the first then you have the hang of it. First time I replaced gel-seals I was afraid of ripping them, must have taken me 15 minutes to get the blasted things on.

Back