AppleTV fail

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
When I play video on my ipad, sending it to AppleTV, I only get audio on the TV, the video remains on the ipad.
Have rebooted everything a few times.

Iphone drives AppleTV normally.

What kind of video are you sending?

YouTube and video podcasts and the like have streamed just fine from iPhones and iPads to both our old and new AppleTV's.

There are some video sources that disable the ability to do so. XFinity apps as an example.

Youtube right now.
It works fine on the iphone, the problem is only on the ipad.
Which is current, and rebooted.
What could kill the video but not the audio??

Working here. Older AppleTVs though not the new one.

As an alternative you know there's YT viewer built into the AppleTV, right?

My trick for a long time has been to sign all of my devices into my YT account and when someone sends me something I want to watch on the big screen, just add it to my "Favorites" list in my account.

Makes the stuff super easy to "find" on the AppleTV later. All the new "Favorites" are right at the top of the Favorites list for immediate access with the AppleTV remote.

There's also "Subscribe" of course, to any person's feed you watch regularly. If they're a person allowing YT to "monetize" their stuff with ads, they also get a few cents for you watching it and a little more for subscribers, so I always subscribe if I'm coming back for more of their stuff, or planning on watching things they upload later. Also makes that stuff super easy to find in the menu via the AppleTV remote later too.

By the way on your YT AirPlay problem, are you watching in a browser or in the actual YT App? I've seen stuff that wouldn't AirPlay properly from one, work fine in the other.

Not really a solution, but we splurged $35 for a Chromecast some time ago.

Rarely use it, but every once in a while it will work seamlessly when the AppleTV is balking. Has the added advantage that once playing, the sending device is free for other tasks.

Using the YT app on both phone and ipad.
Is there an AppleTV support site?
tks for reminder of built in yt app on tv.

I just updated the YT app, no change.
This is getting annoying, :(

All other apps are off when I do this,
as are all other devices in the house.

How old is the iPhone? Is it all YT videos, or just this particular one? There are some videos that will not Airplay to the AppleTV because of licensing issues. The older versions of iOS didn't include this 'functionality', which is why I ask the age of the iPhone.

I don't believe it's an iPad/iphone issue -

When the audio through my AppleTV fails to work, I simply pull the plug on the AppleTV box and reboot it. To date, audio comes back on every time with reboot of the unit.

I don't believe it's an iPad/iphone issue -

When the audio through my AppleTV fails to work, I simply pull the plug on the AppleTV box and reboot it. To date, audio comes back on every time with reboot of the unit.

Multiple AppleTV reboots have not fixed this. And it is the video that is not coming through - the audio is fine. Plus, its working fine on the iphone4 but not the ipad2.

Back