ApplePay

Anyone really (remembering to) use it?

Haven't really studied enough how to use it. I did link an AMEX to it and notice every time I use the card within seconds a notice pops up on my phone showing how much I spent and where.

I Use it several times a week. It's great how it creates a different card number so that the merchant doesn't get your real card #. I've used at Petco, McD's and Apple mainly.

Tried to input my Gander Mountain MasterCard to my new iPhone 6+ and was told something to the effect that my bank had not authorized ApplePay.

Comenity, I think.

Tried to input my Gander Mountain MasterCard to my new iPhone 6+ and was told something to the effect that my bank had not authorized ApplePay.

Comenity, I think.

More banks add themselves in pretty much each month. Apple's website will show who is on now and who is coming online soon. ( pnc and usbank both work for me ). I see Comenity as one who has said they will be coming according to tech sites :)

Last edited:
My bank just added or for Visa credit cards, but not for our MC debit cards, which I use most. Too bad. I'd like to use it. Hopefully soon.

Use it several times a week. Makes paying dirt simple. Faster than cash or credit card.

I have used it in drive thrus a few times. The cashier struggles to try and get the CC machine with enough cable slack to hold it out the window. Very awkward. They need a reader on the drive thru window.

Now I just use a CC in the drive thru.

I have used it in drive thrus a few times. The cashier struggles to try and get the CC machine with enough cable slack to hold it out the window. Very awkward. They need a reader on the drive thru window.

Now I just use a CC in the drive thru.

I've seen a few drive thru windows with scanners mounted outside.

One more company wanting to skim off the top of a transaction? No thanks. I'm back to using mostly cash. Credit/debit card swipe fees are causing a lot of the places I frequent to charge extra for using a card. Almost every gas station around here gives at least a $0.10/gal discount for using cash.

What happen when you lose your phone? Is that like losing you wallet now?

What happen when you lose your phone? Is that like losing you wallet now?

You still have to verify with either fingerprint id or PIN on your phone to authorize each transaction.

In order to offer ApplePay, Banks & CUs have to use a card processor that supports it. There is a backlog of FI's waiting for their processor to support it and implement it into the FI's environment. We are being told "1st Quarter."

Should this become widely adopted, the amount of credit card fraud that would (hopefully) be eliminated would more than pay for the offset in lost transaction fees. How that plays out in terms of the end-user with the iPhone in his/her pocket I don't know. But my perception is that plenty of FIs are getting on board ASAP for one reason or another: perceived consumer demand, being at or ahead of the curve, or staunching the flow of losses.

I use it all the time. Our local Grocery store (Jewel), Meijer, Petco, Walgreens. It takes two seconds and I haven't had an issue except at CVS, which won't take Apple Pay. So I drive past CVS to the Walgreens a mile further. Kind of the principal on that.

We use Bank Of America and they were on it right away. You have to jump through a couple of hoops to get it set up, but once you do it works great.

BOFA is also issuing all of their cards with chips in them which is finally great as I spend a lot of time in Europe, where there are more and more places that won't take a swipe card.

It will be nice when we get to the point that we never hand our cards to anyone. It is so much easier in a restaurant.

So, for this to become reasonably functional for your average customer, a majority of retailers must acquire a scanner and whatever other hardware/software and connection is needed? ie if only 10% of retailers can be talked into accepting payment this way, I cannot see a huge advantage.

Would this only be available to iphone users? Proprietary connection hardware and protocols? No way to get a non i-device to work? Or maybe they will come out with a generic smartphone payment scanner?

As far as security, the YT vid on it seems to talk as if it's bulletproof. Would I be out of line here to suggest that within a month, someone will learn how to hack it and access our cards in a new way? Just seems silly to me that we could imagine a system being impenetrable, considering the cat and mouse game we have played and lost for so long. I guess we could hope. PS in the vid, there is no fingerprint swipe or PIN...perhaps that was to access the phone?

I believe that a NFC-enabled terminal is all that is technically required for a retailer to accept ApplePay. Many terminals are already equipped, and likely most will be equipped in the near future. However, a retailer can still elect to deactivate the NFC terminal, or otherwise block ApplePay.

JKG

So, for this to become reasonably functional for your average customer, a majority of retailers must acquire a scanner and whatever other hardware/software and connection is needed? ie if only 10% of retailers can be talked into accepting payment this way, I cannot see a huge advantage.

I think it'll go well beyond 10%, probably becoming as ubiquitous as credit card readers by 2020 or even before. But even if it did only go to 10%, that's 10% less places to get card info stolen from.

Would this only be available to iphone users? Proprietary connection hardware and protocols? No way to get a non i-device to work? Or maybe they will come out with a generic smartphone payment scanner?

I'm not quite sure of the specifics, but I know that Apple Pay did work through the pre-Apple-Pay smart payment systems at CVS before they turned them off in an effort to NOT accept Apple Pay because they're part of a consortium that's trying to do their own smart payment system.

Apple Pay, right now, is for iPhone 6 and 6+ only. While I doubt that it'll make its way to non-Apple devices, that's what you get when you have competition.

Ironically, Android has had "Google Wallet" in place for 3+ years AFAIK, and it just hasn't taken off. Apple's promotion and stewardship of the smart payment concept via Apple Pay is likely to drive a lot of growth for Google as well. I do believe that Apple Pay is more secure than Google Wallet because it requires the fingerprint, most Android devices don't have fingerprint scanners yet.

As far as security, the YT vid on it seems to talk as if it's bulletproof. Would I be out of line here to suggest that within a month, someone will learn how to hack it and access our cards in a new way? Just seems silly to me that we could imagine a system being impenetrable, considering the cat and mouse game we have played and lost for so long.

It's about as close to bulletproof as you can hope for right now. The merchant never gets your card number, your fingerprint is required to buy anything, etc.

Nothing is perfect, and someone will likely find a way around it sooner or later, but even if they do it'd be orders of magnitude more difficult, whereas right now any waitress can steal your credit card and use it.

One more company wanting to skim off the top of a transaction? No thanks. I'm back to using mostly cash. Credit/debit card swipe fees are causing a lot of the places I frequent to charge extra for using a card. Almost every gas station around here gives at least a $0.10/gal discount for using cash.

I buy most of my gas at Costco or Sam's Club. Neither accepts cash, but their price is consistently 10 - 20 cents below the majors. I just use a debit card.

I use my credit union debit card for 90% of my day to day purchases. I do have a BofA card that is Apple Pay enabled. I use it occasionally,especially if I'm in a hurry.

Apple pay is really a very slick system. I gather that Google wallet uses the same NFC touch system, but since they don't integrate a fingerprint scanner it takes the Android user a bit more effort to use the NFC touch.

Here in Austin almost nobody charges extra for using a credit card.

Here in Austin almost nobody charges extra for using a credit card.

I'm pretty sure when you sign up to accept most major credit cards you agree that you cannot charge extra for them nor impose a minimum charge amount. Apparently one way around the first restriction is to just offer a discount for cash. A distinction without a difference!

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure when you sign up to accept most major credit cards you agreed that you cannot charge extra for them nor impose a minimum charge amount. Apparently one way around that is to just offer a discount for cash. A distinction without a difference!

Several places around here charge a fee if you use a card on purchases under $5.00. Almost every government agency charges more than $1 for using a card. Several places also just flat out charge you $1 for using a card. The cash discount where I filled up yesterday was 17 cents per gallon.

I filled up at a gas station this morning offering a 10 cent discount for cash.

However, if I were to pay cash, I'd have to go inside and take time from their cashier, so I'm not sure that's entirely well thought out.

Seems to be a way to advertise gas prices to be 10 cents less that what thy actually are. Most people pay with a card.

However, if I were to pay cash, I'd have to go inside and take time from their cashier, so I'm not sure that's entirely well thought out.

Seems to be a way to advertise gas prices to be 10 cents less that what thy actually are. Most people pay with a card.

The gas stations here will give you your own card where they pull from your checking account and offer discounts on that. I did that for a while but now pay cash. Most of the clerKs know me and will just flip on the pump without any prepay. Combined, my wife and I drive about 150 miles a day. It adds up.

Several places around here charge a fee if you use a card on purchases under $5.00. Almost every government agency charges more than $1 for using a card. Several places also just flat out charge you $1 for using a card. The cash discount where I filled up yesterday was 17 cents per gallon.

Yeah, when I paid my lawyer registration fees on-line they charged me a $4 "convenience fee" to use a credit card! Huh?

Most stations that give a cash discount also give that discount on ATM style card transactions with a PIN vs regular credit card ones.

Fraud and transaction charges are almost nothing with the "check card" type transactions (because of the PIN), so they treat them as cash.

Back