Apple virus?

N747JB

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
John
I've always heard that Apple products weren't suseptible to viruses, I'm a PC guy, but my wife has some type of virus on her iPhone and when she had it synced to her MacBook she got something asking for her Apple password? It spelled cloud cloudd referring to iCloud? I told her to shut it down, go to her desktop and change her passwords until she gets it sorted out. Anyone have this issue?
Thanks
It started on her iPhone.

No help with this specific issue, but the day of MACs being immune to malware/viruses is long gone. And, now, we're seeing malware that takes advantage of the various "syncing" features out there. For instance, if you login to chrome to take advantage of syncing your bookmarks to other computers, you will also get malware sync'd to your other devices. I'm sure there are deviants working on cross-platform syncing malware as we speak...

Last edited:
This may be what's happened, her phone, iPad and now she thinks her desktop is asking for her password for her password keeper file! I don't know the name of the program. :dunno:

No help with this specific issue, but the day of MACs being immune to malware/viruses is long gone. And, now, we're seeing malware that takes advantage to the various "syncing" features out there. For instance, if you login to chrome to take advantage of syncing your bookmarks to other computers, you will also get malware sync'd to your other devices. I'm sure there are deviants working on cross-platform syncing malware as we speak...

Apple has been susceptible and targeted for malware and "viruses" for quite some time now. And Apple, Inc is exceedingly slow to patch. The main attack vectors are via the various available web browsers and the email programs, just like every other desktop OS.

Avast is free for personal use and seems to be pretty good from testing we've done at catching malicious things.

We also use Symantec at the office and it has not been impressive in performance but hasn't failed so miserably on Mac that anything truly destructive has gotten through yet.

Java and Flash are their usual unmitigated security disasters on all platforms including Mac, also.

Very, very few devices are truly immune to viruses. It's a question of whether or not they are important enough to be a target.

More things are targetted at PCs and iPhones/iOS because those have the big targets. iOS is designed to be a bit more resiliant against those things but it's hardly immune.

OS/X survives virus free because nobody by and large gives a hoot, but there is a lot of malware out there that gets around the rudimentary "are you sure you want to install this piece of untrusted software you downloaded off the internet" confirmation. Even as a savvy user I got bitten by one of these (the installed software was benign, but the installer that came with it installs all sorts of malware in the browser's in the process).

OS/X isn't immune. But for sure and for certain it is better than the crap from microsoft.

No automobile is immune from being stolen, but you can decrease the odds that your car is stolen by doing some very simple things (e.g., locking car door). Make it so that is it relatively easier to steal that other car.

Back