"Apple love" looks like religion in brain scans

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
This one's for Nick.

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/05/17/bbc-loving-apple-looks-like-a-religion-to-an-mri-scan/

I'm sure it wouldn't matter which camp you were in tech-wise though. I bet the same neurons fire in Nick's brain when Android is mentioned.

Same thing with politics for some folks.

Quite interesting to think of the ramifications for Marketing Pros. They would want to fire those pathways to the religious parts of the brain to maximize sales...

"Cult-like behavior" is apparently common in so-called "super brands" if you extrapolate a bit from the premise of the article.

Cessna vs Piper. Emacs vs VI. Republicans vs Democrats. Global Warming vs Not. Broncos vs Raiders. Ketchup vs Good Hot Dogs. ;)

I've always joked that these were religious debates but science is starting to prove it. Irony lies within that statement too, if you think about it.

Creationism vs Science... perhaps fires up the religious pathways in the brain too?

Or do these only fire those areas if Marketed/taught/presented to us in a specific way?

I wonder if "true love" fires the same neurons, too?

I watched a Nat Geo documentary where they went into N.Korea with an optical surgeon doing enmass cataract surgeries. The part where the bandages came off and to a person they praised the Great Leader for getting them their sight back, and this was genuine you could tell. Seeing them reminded me of Apple people....:D

I've always joked that these were religious debates but science is starting to prove it.
Maybe, maybe not. "Prove" is a bit strong- I call it merely supporting a hypothesis.

Last edited:
This one's for Nick.

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/05/17/bbc-loving-apple-looks-like-a-religion-to-an-mri-scan/

Cessna vs Piper. Emacs vs VI. Republicans vs Democrats. Global Warming vs Not. Broncos vs Raiders. Ketchup vs Good Hot Dogs. ;)

I've always joked that these were religious debates but science is starting to prove it. Irony lies within that statement too, if you think about it.

When I was teaching computer science in college my "Rules of Engagement" included the following:

1. I'm not your parents.
2. Drop the class now and get your money back
3. No religious discussions in class
4. Drop the class now and get your money back
5. Windows vs Mac vs Unix is a religious discussion

Looking over the plains around Minneapolis starts to prove the earth is flat. Would you accept that statement?

If you head west or south from there, it takes quite a while to find evidence to support the alternate theory.

I see a slight curve to the hazerizon. Apple fanboy defense fail.

Hah... That's funny. I don't believe a word of it. :sosp:

Our Steve, who art in Cupertino,
hallowed be thy iStuff.
Thy gadgets come,
they will be gone,
in Best Buy as it is in Apple Retail.
Give us this day our daily iTunes.
And forgive us our work Blackberry,
as we forgive you for not supporting Flash.
And lead us into temptation,
but deliver us great products.
Amen.

Oh ****. ;)

Hah... That's funny. I don't believe a word of it. :sosp:

Our Steve, who art in Cupertino,
hallowed be thy iStuff.
Thy gadgets come,
they will be gone,
in Best Buy as it is in Apple Retail.
Give us this day our daily iTunes.
And forgive us our work Blackberry,
as we forgive you for not supporting Flash.
And lead us into temptation,
but deliver us great products.
Amen.

Oh ****. ;)

Classic. I stole that to tease two friends of mine (a cousin and her friend) who are iNuts.

I wonder if brain scans reveal the same thing for those who love Grummans?

Back