Apple Launch 9/9 Glitches

LDJones

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Jonesy
I'm so used to Apple's above-average delivery that I'm blown away by the glitchy streaming. There's a Japanese (Chinese?) translator running in parallel which is incredibly distracting. Then feed glitches and hangs, and switches contexts constantly. Very un-Apple!

Okay...beyond the glitches, the new Apple Pay system sounds pretty forward-thinking. You credit card number or other personal info is never transmitted to the merchant, just a unique transaction ID. Sounds impressive. McDonalds, Subway, Bloomingdales, Staples, Whole Foods, Disney and several others have partnered to add Apple Pay...McDonalds even at the drive-thru.

Okay...beyond the glitches, the new Apple Pay system sounds pretty forward-thinking. You credit card number or other personal info is never transmitted to the merchant, just a unique transaction ID. Sounds impressive. McDonalds, Subway, Bloomingdales, Staples, Whole Foods, Disney and several others have partnered to add Apple Pay...McDonalds even at the drive-thru.

A. Apples POS dealie is not new tech.
B. Apple is second rate compared to Samsungs stable of phablets.

A. Apples POS dealie is not new tech.
B. Apple is second rate compared to Samsungs stable of phablets.

But their implementation is interesting. Divorcing customer information from the transaction is good. Coupling biometrics with the process is great....and not done by any Samsung product of which I am aware.

I'm a big Samsung fan (multiple phones, laptops and TVs in my family), but I still prefer my iPad Air to any of the Samsung tablets I've used. I keep trying every new one the introduce.

I thought the launch was almost embarrassing. Apple is introducing a new phone with specs that the competition has had for over TWO YEARS.

That is...sad. I was hoping they might leapfrog ahead, but, alas, they still seem to be stuck in reverse.

In my experience Android is like WingX, whereas Apple is like ForeFlight.

One of them always gets there first, but the other has a much smoother delivery when they do get there.

I thought the launch was almost embarrassing. Apple is introducing a new phone with specs that the competition has had for over TWO YEARS.

That is...sad. I was hoping they might leapfrog ahead, but, alas, they still seem to be stuck in reverse.

They don't need to be bleeding edge to succeed....they just need to be good. Spec wars don't often translate into real world advantages. Integration is far more important. That said, the optical image stabilization is good, and unique for phone-class cameras. And actually doing something with NFC coupled with biometrics is a win. The McDonalds/Subway connection alone will make that a winner.

The Watch also is the first digital watch that actually looks interesting. And the ergonomics of it really highlights their design brilliance. Nothing close in the Android watch offerings.

The free U2 album was a slick touch! Already have it on multiple devices and love it! Some of U2's best work.

New iPhones have a barometer. Wonder if any of the aviation apps will take advantage and use it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

New iPhones have a barometer. Wonder if any of the aviation apps will take advantage and use it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have an app on my Galaxy S4 that uses some of the internal gizmos as a barometer. Checked it on a couple of occasions and seems reliable.

1. I don't know why some have what appears to be a pathological need to diss Apple.

2. The technical glitches were beyond embarrassing. I was trying to watch it both on an Apple TV and via a TWIT live feed on my iPad. The TWIT hosts were for the most part having the same issues I was having, albeit at different times. The Chinese (I assume) voice was very distracting. I later wanted to show Karen the highlights, and even yesterday evening the presentation was being messed with on the Apple TV and was crashing Safari on my iPad. It reflects badly when a company showcasing technology can't seem to master the basic technology to do a live stream. Like I said, beyond just embarrassing.

3. I will eventually be in the market for a 6 or a 6+ to replace my 5s. Leaning towards the 6 as big enough, but I'll have to see and handle them side by side.

4. The camera on my 5s is quite amazing for a phone. The 6 and 6+ cameras seem to improve on it. Not many years ago $300 or $400 just for a camera of that size and quality would have been huge. To get it included with a phone and internet browser and literal pocket computer is astounding.

5. Will be interesting to see how the Apple Watch sells. The $395 starting price seems high to me for something most people may not see a need for. I can possibly see myself with one at some point, largely for the health and fitness tracking.

6. Nothing wrong with Android or Windows phones - they are also amazing. Choice is good.

7. Full disclosure - Apple fanboi and shareholder. The stock's been very good to me over the years! :yes:

Last edited:
2. The technical glitches were beyond embarrassing. I was trying to watch it both on an Apple TV and via a TWIT live feed on my iPad.

Same.

Funniest comment I saw yesterday about the presentation - "Steve Jobs would have already eaten the soul of the person responsible for the technical glitches during the presentation".....

I'll start out my post by saying, yes, I am an Android user. I used to own an iPhone during the 3GS days, then got a Galaxy S3, and now I use an LG G3 and I own a Nexus 10. That being said, I respect that Apple makes a solid, reliable product with a good UI. I do not however, believe they are any where near being a market leader any more when it comes to UI or industrial design. Their hype is good, and they know how to sell their products as something special even when they're just above average compared to the industry. I'll just try to correct a few things I don't agree with here and not stoop to just bashing Apple.

But their implementation is interesting. Divorcing customer information from the transaction is good. Coupling biometrics with the process is great....and not done by any Samsung product of which I am aware.

Google Wallet already divorces the customer information from the transaction and has for a while. Granted, adding in the biometrics is new, but I'm not convinced that will be a game changer. What will push this is Apple's marketing, which is much better than Google's at selling new features.

One of them always gets there first, but the other has a much smoother delivery when they do get there.

Apple's 'delivery' is always good, as in they always sell their products well. The launch of their actual products and services is not always so smooth. The iPhone 4 antenna issue and Apple Maps comes to mind. Both iOS & Android have their missteps on product releases.

They don't need to be bleeding edge to succeed....they just need to be good. Spec wars don't often translate into real world advantages. Integration is far more important. That said, the optical image stabilization is good, and unique for phone-class cameras. And actually doing something with NFC coupled with biometrics is a win. The McDonalds/Subway connection alone will make that a winner.

The Watch also is the first digital watch that actually looks interesting. And the ergonomics of it really highlights their design brilliance. Nothing close in the Android watch offerings.

The free U2 album was a slick touch! Already have it on multiple devices and love it! Some of U2's best work.

My LG G3 has optical image stabilization, not really a unique feature, and the optical stabilization is only on the 6+, the 6 uses digital stabilization (if I remember reading correctly).

The watch doesn't look interesting to me, but I'm not fan of any of the square smartwatches, and certainly not for Apple's price ($350). Then again I'm not sold on smartwatches at all yet. Nobody has presented a valid use case yet, but I'm hopeful someone can come up with something that interests me.

1. I don't know why some have what appears to be a pathological need to diss Apple.

It's the same pathological need that some Apple fans have to bash Android. They want to justify their own choice of platform, and the best way they can show themselves to be superior is to prove that the other guy sucks.

Last edited:
I have an out of contract 5s, it's a nice phone. The home button is starting to wear out, so I doubt if this one will last another year.

I have a Nexus 7 that is a million times easier to use than my iPhone, but it crashes a bit more often than the iPhone. That's the cost of not sandboxing applications as rigidly as iOS does.

Over the last few years I've become heavily invested in the Google ecosystem so right now the updated MotoX is really tempting me.

I wonder if the new Apple Watch is fully baked. I was surprised that few, if any, journalists were able to actually use one at yesterday's announcement.

It's the same pathological need that some Apple fans have to bash Android. They want to justify their own choice of platform, and the best way they can show themselves to be superior is to prove that the other guy sucks.

I think you hit the nail on the head. It's a form of self-validation. Personally, I don't care...I use what works best for me at the time. I've had Android phones forever. Every one has gotten slow and glitchy by the time I finally screamed loud enough for my Verizon dealer to figure out an upgrade. To date, my iPad's haven't done that to me...but they're not phones, although I might actually use them as much as my phone.

I also have six Windows machines running here...and one Mac. They all work...but Apple does some really nice things with integration of their products.

I also love ForeFlight and a 6+ would finally give me a backup for that instead of licensing two different EFB products on two different platforms. We'll see.

Last edited:
I wonder if the new Apple Watch is fully baked. I was surprised that few, if any, journalists were able to actually use one at yesterday's announcement.

You know it isn't or it would have been launched now instead of next year. I suspect the core feature set is locked in, but that some hardware/battery life issues has kept engineering teams up late at night trying to get it shored up for a 2015 delivery. Only time will tell.

Few people saw the need for "smart" phones eight years ago. Smart watches MAY follow that same trend line. Again, time will tell.

Kinda like flying in a Beech Musketeer vs a Glasair-III
:lol:

This has got to be frustrating for Android developers and manufacturers, who have had this technology for years, with nobody in the press hyperventilating about it.

This has got to be frustrating for Android developers and manufacturers, who have had this technology for years, with nobody in the press hyperventilating about it.
We were in Galveston yesterday, and, at lunch, I read the local newspaper.

I was amazed to find a half-page article on Apple's phone launch, on Page 2, above the fold. In my years in newspapers, that position (for what amounted to a breathlessly-written ad) would have cost a fortune.

Say what you want about their product, but Apple still has the best marketing department in the world.

They're masters at relationship building....being the 900 lb. gorilla doesn't hurt.

Android had the technology and did nothing with it.

Back