Apple I-Pad and Air Navigation Pro Software

Tim Cobb

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
HairyGoateeGuy
I'm thinking about getting the Apple I- Pad and then the Air Navigation Pro Software for $37.00. My question is the 3g version vs the WiFi + 3g version. From what I read the Wi-Fi should work just fine. So If I spend $499.00 on the WiFi I Pad I can have moving map GPS on my aircraft. This seems like a bargin for a VFR pilot that isn't going to navigate with this unit alone. The people that make the software seem very anxious to upgrade it with lots of fixes etc for free.

Last edited:
The wifi-only version doesn't have a GPS.

The 3G version has a GPS, but I'm not entirely sure how reliable it is outside of 3G coverage. I don't have an iPad, but my iPhone 3G GPS doesn't converge outside of 3G coverage.
-harry

You can just get the wifi version and then add a bluetooth GPS for 30 bucks. Then it doesn't matter if you have 3G or not.
A buddy of mine just bought the 3G version and went to OSH, so I haven't gotten a PIREP on it yet.

The built in GPS in the 3G version is OK, but not great. It, like all GPS's has to have a clear view of the sky. It also lacks download Nexrad of course, which would be nice. Listening to music from the iPad or playing games enroute via bluetooth, or for that matter getting clearances via bluetooth are a plus. I assume you can only pair one bluetooth device at a time, so adding a BT GPS would take away the music and cell phone options with a BT headset.

There are some great apps for iPad, including Foreflight, that includes all of the sectionals, IFR charts, and approach plates, along with a bunch of weather products. There are others that do weather a little better, including nexrad, but so far, none that do it by XM/Sirius.

Still, with the iPad, I never lug my notebook computer around any more. I may even cancel my Jepp subscription, and by a second iPad (wifi only) for backup charts. One iPad would be cheaper than a year's subscription to Jepps.

I don't think there's any software support for that unless you jailbreak.
-harry

Wha!!!???

I hope not. My BT GPS that I use with my netbook in the air is a generic serial device. So I think the serial BT driver must exist for iPad. Software to use it may not exist. I wonder if Foreflight can use a BT GPS.

EDIT: OK, I just checked, Foreflight doesn't offer support for BT GPS. The iPad does not come with a built in BT GPS app. There are currently some jailbroke apps that support a BT GPS and make it available on the system as a location source. Foreflight would probably work just fine. An official BT GPS app may show up eventually.

For now I'm sticking with my netbook, BT GPS, OziExplorer, and free geo-referenced sectionals from NACO.

Last edited:
Wha!!!???

I hope not. My BT GPS that I use with my netbook in the air is a generic serial device. So I think the serial BT driver must exist for iPad. Software to use it may not exist. I wonder if Foreflight can use a BT GPS.

EDIT: OK, I just checked, Foreflight doesn't offer support for BT GPS. The iPad does not come with a built in BT GPS app. There are currently some jailbroke apps that support a BT GPS and make it available on the system as a location source. Foreflight would probably work just fine. An official BT GPS app may show up eventually.

For now I'm sticking with my netbook, BT GPS, OziExplorer, and free geo-referenced sectionals from NACO.
I have the iPad and fore flight . There both great, but don't expect the to replace a 496 or true flight GPS. 3000 ft or higher and the cell is hit or miss

I have the high end I-Pad with GPS and Air Nav Pro now. It works great! No real complaints, I know its not a legal device but I fly at Front Range Airport in Colorado and I have Class Bravo airspace all around me and the program shows me right where I am. For a VFR pilot it increases situational awareness and gives me a whole new comfort level. I'm going to duct tape it to my yoke on the ancient 172 I buzz around in! The flight planning part is a little difficult to use but you can get the manual for the software on the internet. I think it was well worth the money. $699.00 for the I-Pad and $39.00 for the software from I-tunes.

It was my understanding that Bluetooth support in the iPhone /iPad/ iPod touch is limited to audio devices and/or Apple devices.

GPS on the iPad uses the cell network only to assist it in finding its position quicker - Once it pings a cell tower it knows roughly where it is and what time it is, so it knows which satellites to listen for.

So, the best way to use the GPS in the iPad is to open whatever app (ie ForeFlight, etc.) when you're on the ground and get your initial position, and then leave it running while you fly.

I have gotten an initial position after takeoff, but whereas finding an initial position on the ground with the assistance of the cell network takes only a few seconds, getting your initial position in the air can take a couple of minutes.

It was my understanding that Bluetooth support in the iPhone /iPad/ iPod touch is limited to audio devices and/or Apple devices.

No, it'll work with any old bluetooth keyboard, for example, doesn't have to be Apple. It's just a matter of which bluetooth profiles are supported, and I don't think GPS is one of them.

I'm going to duct tape it to my yoke on the ancient 172 I buzz around in!

If you're a kneeboard kinda guy check out this new molded version called the iPro Aviator. It ships Nov. 1, but preorder pricing is available here until mid October.

I have written Air Nav Pro in Germany and made a couple of software suggestions. They are very friendly and have been very willing to consider my ideas for future software releases. So far I'm really sold on the idea of the I pad in the cockpit. I just need to find a good mount for it so I can affix it to the rental then remove it.

I have written Air Nav Pro in Germany and made a couple of software suggestions. They are very friendly and have been very willing to consider my ideas for future software releases. So far I'm really sold on the idea of the I pad in the cockpit. I just need to find a good mount for it so I can affix it to the rental then remove it.

I just played with a Ram mount for the iPad tonight. I think it's the winner, especially since it's nice and modular so I can use a yoke mount in the 182 or a suction cup mount in the Diamond.

The wifi-only version doesn't have a GPS.

The 3G version has a GPS, but I'm not entirely sure how reliable it is outside of 3G coverage. I don't have an iPad, but my iPhone 3G GPS doesn't converge outside of 3G coverage.
-harry

My iPhone 3GS GPS works independent of any other connection. It works in the middle of the ocean.

If you're a kneeboard kinda guy check out this new molded version called the iPro Aviator. It ships Nov. 1, but preorder pricing is available here until mid October.

I don't think they did a particularly good job of that myself. They should have made the cover full length and had the clip be a sprung edge strip that would also serve to hold it closed, that way the inside of the open leaf can serve as the notepad so you can look at what you copied as you work it out on the chart product you have up on the iPad. The clip on the outside of the closed cover serves no good purpose. The mount for the iPad should be ambidextrous so you can have the note pad left or right of the iPad as you please.

What I see there is a lame and little though out device soon to be found in the "$7.99" bin of other useless junk at your local pilot shop.

I'm thinking about getting the Apple I- Pad and then the Air Navigation Pro Software for $37.00. My question is the 3g version vs the WiFi + 3g version. From what I read the Wi-Fi should work just fine. So If I spend $499.00 on the WiFi I Pad I can have moving map GPS on my aircraft. This seems like a bargin for a VFR pilot that isn't going to navigate with this unit alone. The people that make the software seem very anxious to upgrade it with lots of fixes etc for free.

Yes you will, or at least as the sole source for a required bit of information and suddenly you won't have it and you'll be in a bind. It will happen, I promise, everyone (including me) who flies with "Gee Whiz" devices does this occasionally when we need to make a last minute flight and the reference isn't available, we still go.

The thing to remember about this though is simple, when you're in a bind, fess up and call for help. "Unfamiliar" is code for "I don't know where in the hell I am or where I'm going" and will typically get you vectors and distance to final with no repercussions. The likely hood that you get in trouble when you call early, handle it well (can follow directions and hold an altitude) and have a safe conclusion are very low.

Last edited:

So what suggestions did you make? What did you find lacking or needing improvement?

Major problem with your idea of making the writing surface on the iPro kneeboard full length - it's called yoke clearance. The existing design works great in the airplane in every respect.

ipad-kneeboard-quad.jpg

Last edited:
The thing to remember about this though is simple, when you're in a bind, fess up and call for help. "Unfamiliar" is code for "I don't know where in the hell I am or where I'm going" and will typically get you vectors and distance to final with no repercussions. The likely hood that you get in trouble when you call early, handle it well (can follow directions and hold an altitude) and have a safe conclusion are very low.
+1. Asking is always *way* better then guessing. I've had good luck with "unfamiliar" when I have less information then I probably should have.

Major problem with your idea of making the writing surface on the iPro kneeboard full length - it's called yoke clearance. The existing design works great in the airplane in every respect.

I'm not understanding how there is a yoke clearance problem when the iPad is already that length and the cover will be lower than the iPad when it's open? I don't understand how I'm supposed to read my notepad and work on the iPad at the same time.

Here is another iPad Kneeboard that does have a clipboard that is full height and let's you also use it as a lap board, giving you access to both the iPad and the clipboard at the same time. It is sold by www.MyGoFlight.com .

MGF-SlidersA.png

http://bad-elf.com/products/gps/ I ordered this from Amazon.com yesterday and am expecting it tomorrow. I'll give a pirep after I play with it for a while. I got the iPad without 3G because I have no decent AT&T service either in AR or in TX. I couple my iPad with a Verizon MiFi aircard and have had wonderful results. I went for the Foreflight app because of the accessibility to all charts, IFR and VFR, and approach plates, etc. It's more than paid for itself in my travels already.

So what suggestions did you make? What did you find lacking or needing improvement?

Generally the program is pretty good, They now have a feature where you can view the entire I-PAD screen as a map with no intruments which I find usefull.

I think the menus need big improvments. The Create Custom Waypoint is not logically placed. Creating the Nav Plans requires you go to another menu to make custom way points. I want to be able to create custom way points while I'm doing my Nav Plans.

I think all the menu items should be in one place. As it is, some are on the bottom of the screen, some are on the side and some are tabs on top. No real reason for this that I can see. Maybe Germans think differently than I do?

Back