Apology to all

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
Ref: Bittersweet

I have wanted to write this for some time now. I haven't because I didn't want to open up a new can of worms and because I was unsure if this attempt at an apology would pass muster. Afterall, it was my poor choice of words which caused this in the first place. But as I said in my first attempt to clarify my position this is not something which can be swept under the rug. It is too important a subject to allow that.

This past wknd I had a conversation with a friend who served 2 tours in Viet Nam and continues to this day to serve in his state's ANG. He is someone I respect greatly. I confessed all I had said in order to gather his response.

He said I was merely trying to explain my personal comfort level. While I knew what I wanted to say in way of my apology I was still unsure of how to present it. It was while listening to him when the lightbulb came on for me. I was trying to explain my comfort level! But I did a poor job of it.

In my original post I took two observations and applied a creative writing technique in my attempt to point up my reason not to fly with certain persons . Not wanting to write a book and in recognition of how verbose I can be I left out some important points. It was a tenuous connection and what I left out was, in hindsight, revealed to be so vitally important. It's not about patches, pins, or emblems even though I originally mentioned that. What I had to say was not about being proud of one's service, even though I tried to use that to help illustrate what I wanted to say. Make no mistake, I am fiercly proud of those who served and would not ever think to condemn them even a little bit for their showing of that. If you would be kind enough to allow that I didn't think it through I would not disagree with that.

Several folks have said I should make this apology but warned me to be concise. That is good advice. Sometimes I don't listen to good advice and sometimes I shoot off my mouth. Examples of that can be found in my posts. But I don't apologize for those things. In this case, I don't want to limit myself to being concise because I feel too deeply about this issue. All who have read my previous words deserve the most ample apology I can summon.

My apology to y'all is for the offense I have caused you through my words. I never intended to disparage the service of any person to their country or that of their remembrance of that service and their fallen comrades. Actually, I am so respectful of all service men and women it crushes me to think that it was I who caused such insult and disrespect to you. I humbly beg your forgiveness.

Richard, as my people say "you are a mench" rough translation you are man ( human)" in the jewish vernacular to call someone a mench or a man means he is respected, honorable a good person. I think you get my drift. I understood what you mean to say although it didn't comeout right. I never held it against you at all but your apologly is very admirable and I respect you greatly for it.

You are a mench Richard!

Accepted, and thank you. I must admit that I'm pretty touchy about anything I perceive as dissing vets, probably touchier than I ought to be. :)

Adam, thank you very much.

Bob, you are one who I was very concerned about. One, because I mentioned 1st Cav. Your acceptance means a great deal to me. Thank you.

Richard, thank you. Nicely done. Your original post did not offend me nor did I perceive insult in what you wrote. Your apology is an honorable thing - well written, well thought out and obviously anguished over.

I would have given you rep points for this, but I've given you some too recently.

Nice and classy.

Richard, I personally had no problems with your original post, but it takes a good person to step up and make things right. Good man.

I agree that there was nothing to appologize for. But you have really demonstrated that you have excellent character.

And I fully understand your frustration about being unable to accurately express what you really mean.

I think we all learned something, including me....isn't that what life is about though?

Mark

Richard,

Again, no worries. I thought your previous explanantion was fine.

Richard, we are all guilty of being less than eloquent on occasion. It takes an honorable man to step up and clear the air. If I was offended, it has long since passed. I would hope that others could/would do the same. Fly safe.

I will not accept your apology because I do not see that I need one. Typing is a cold art and hard to master. I mearly stated my opinion on the subject but I never held anything against you. Everyone is entitled to their own toughts and expressions however, it's hard to do it on a webboard sometime. In otherwords, IT'S ALL GOOD! :)

Cheers and Aloha,

Brent

Back