Apollo GX series GPS annunciator CDI required?

hish747

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Hish747
Does the GX series of GPS (GX50-GX65) require an annunciator and external CDI for enroute IFR or only for approach capable units? How about for VFR use?
Thanks,
Hish

It depends.

My understanding is that the need for annunciator is dependent on the distance from the pilots visual plane... measured in degrees.
CDI would be a must for approaches.
VFR only it is probably fine stand alone.

Need an annuciator? I've got one on the shelf. And a spare GX-65 too if you'd like... No CDI's though.

Does the GX series of GPS (GX50-GX65) require an annunciator and external CDI for enroute IFR or only for approach capable units? How about for VFR use?
Thanks,
Hish
VFR only needs nothing but power and an antenna. IFR operation requires a CDI and annunciator. You can find the switch/annunciator pretty cheap on ebay.The install manual is available on the web. If you can't find it, pm me an email addy and I'll shoot you a .pdf.

I've got a spare Mid-Continent CDI+Annunciator for GX55.
For IFR installation, it needs a lamp annunciator, and a CDI (if you use a dedicated CDI, no need for a switch). For VFR, you don't need anything.

Remember, you'll need a 337 to get it IFR approved. Pain in the behind. Test flight etc to be done.

I've got a spare Mid-Continent CDI+Annunciator for GX55.
For IFR installation, it needs a lamp annunciator, and a CDI (if you use a dedicated CDI, no need for a switch). For VFR, you don't need anything.

Remember, you'll need a 337 to get it IFR approved. Pain in the behind. Test flight etc to be done.

Do you mean that in addition to a CDI and annunciator, I would need a switch if I want to split the CDI between GPS and Nav/VOR? Isn't the NAV/GPS switch already on the annunciator?

Straight from the install manual for the GX50/60/65:

IFR GPS NAVIGATION INSTALLATION
When installed for IFR operation, the GX50/60/65 requires connections to several external
indicators. The minimum connections for IFR operation are as follows.
• an A-33 or A-34 GPS antenna
• power input
• an external non-numeric indicator, such as a CDI or HSI
• external lamp annunciators including “MSG” and “PTK”
For TSO-C129a A1 (non-precision approach) operation the following connections are also
required (GX65 not included):
• external lamp annunciators including “APPRCH” and “ACTIVE”
• an “OBS/HLD” external annunciator (with switch)
• altitude input from an altitude encoder/converter or air data computer

Do you mean that in addition to a CDI and annunciator, I would need a switch if I want to split the CDI between GPS and Nav/VOR? Isn't the NAV/GPS switch already on the annunciator?

Yep. Nav/gps and obs hold switches are on the annunciator, as are all the appropriate lamps.

@hish747 - when the UPS man commeth you'll only need to hook in to a CDI or HSI. The annunciator has the correct lights and switches.

It all depends what annunciator you use. You can install an old ARC CDI and run that, and put 3 lamps with placards on the panel as lamp annunciators if you want.

the annunciator is this one. And I mean this EXACT one, not a similar one :)

Annunciator.jpg

With that ACU, you can run an old ARC CDI if you want and it's fine.
I bought a Mid-Continent combined CDI+ACU, I only had one nav head so the other CDI was dedicated for the GPS (no need for switching).

Back