Apollo 2001 NMS GPS - Turn VFR-only install into IFR?

bradg33

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Esquire99
I'm looking at an airplane that has an Apollo 2001 NMS GPS currently installed, but the install is placarded VFR-Only. There is an annunciator that displays "APR," MSG" and "VFR" and provides for CDI selection between NAV and GPS. It's tied to a King HSI. What's the word on whether it's worth attempting to have the VFR-only install "upgraded" to an IFR install? I understand a field approval is necessary and an AFMS, but is that really so hard? An avionics shop presumably would need to inspect the install and handle the paperwork, but seems much cheaper than any alternative to get an IFR GPS in the airplane. Even installing a used KLN94 would presumably require a field approval and wouldn't really add much other than moving map (which, in the iPad era, who needs?). So, what am I missing here? Seems that it should be fairly easy and fairly inexpensive to get it moved up to an IFR install. What say you?

The first thing you need to check is if it is the IFR version of the unit. Not all the units are capable of being certified for IFR use. If your part number ends in -6005 or -6021 they are NOT IFR certified nor upgradable to be so.

Once past that hurdle you (well your avionics shop) needs to get the installation manual and perform the tests and certification step, prepare the flight manual supplements, and file 337/STC paperwork with the FAA. Sometimes, the only thing that was lacking in the installation was the flight test and submitting the paperwork.

Back