Apollo 18 - very interesting!

Wow. The Moon must be real small if they happened to land close enough to find leftover debris within walking (or driving) distance.

I like how the Apollo Program gets canceled, but somehow or another NASA secretly launches a big ol' Saturn 5 from Cape Canaveral and no one notices.

They must have hired David Copperfield to hide the launch.

I like how the Apollo Program gets canceled, but somehow or another NASA secretly launches a big ol' Saturn 5 from Cape Canaveral and no one notices.

But that's what the two unused Saturn vehicles laying on their sides at Houston and the cape are there for. Stand'em up, put fuel in and fire them to the moon. :nono:

IIRC: Five inches to the gallon and two million horse power converted directly into noise at hold down release. Yea, sure, you can fire one of those off anywhere and no one will notice. :idea:

Now, c'mon. If you could believe that a single pilot took part in the Battle of Britain, Pearl Harbor, AND the Doolittle Raid, I'm sure you can suspend belief long enough to accept that they launched Apollo 18 in utter secrecy... :D

Now, c'mon. If you could believe that a single pilot took part in the Battle of Britain, Pearl Harbor, AND the Doolittle Raid, I'm sure you can suspend belief long enough to accept that they launched Apollo 18 in utter secrecy... :D

The theatrical process called Suspension Of Disbelief involves a great deal more reality than the crap coming out of the movie industry.

I can believe that slow boy from Alabama was awarded Medal of Honor for his Viet Nam heroics, became a ping-pong champion, co-founded a billion dollar food empire, met Presidents Kennedy, Johnson and Nixon, and ran repeatedly across the USA...but not that.

I can believe that slow boy from Alabama was awarded Medal of Honor for his Viet Nam heroics, became a ping-pong champion, co-founded a billion dollar food empire, met Presidents Kennedy, Johnson and Nixon, and ran repeatedly across the USA...but not that.

Ironically, Tom Hanks was also involved with the Apollo Program. :rofl:

I saw a trailer for the movie last night; seems like a neat idea in terms of storywriting.

Another dumb movie to further blur the lines between reality and fantasy for the idiots in this country that don't know the difference.

What? You don't believe a US Army officer could have flown with the RAF while the Neutrality Act was in effect?

I remember "Pearl harbor" being touted for the effort made to be historically accurate. Then I went to see it, they missed horribly. Navy nurses giving Army pilots physicals, monitoring Doolittle raid voice transmissions from Hawaii, misspelling Mitchel Field, and many more.

Even errors in simple physics. Remember when our heroes were trying to rescue sailors from the overturned battleship after the attack? They're working well above the water level in the calm harbor, they had just cut through a small section of the remarkably thin hull. A few sailors reached hands through the hole, they were grasped by the rescuers as water bubbled up through the hole, drowning the sailors.

Why is the water rising inside the ship?

Last edited:
They did it at night so nobody would see?
images

I did not see previews but my son spent more time on it and told me it looked to him like a 'horror' movie. As long as it is meant to be in this general category of horror-thriller-fantasy I don't mind what they put into it, however unbelievable the plot, the problem becomes when some movie director wants to pass his own version of events as a "true" story like Oliver Stone did with his JFK movie.

Another dumb movie to further blur the lines between reality and fantasy for the idiots in this country that don't know the difference.

Are you trying to tell me that Star Wars isn't based on a true story?

Are you trying to tell me that Star Wars isn't based on a true story?

I dunno - I once had to listen to two knuckleheads in the next cubicle spend hours arguing whether the Star Trek Enterprise could beat a Star Wars Imperial Battle Cruiser. And these were two grown men.

I dunno - I once had to listen to two knuckleheads in the next cubicle spend hours arguing whether the Star Trek Enterprise could beat a Star Wars Imperial Battle Cruiser. And these were two grown men.

But which Star Trek Enterprise? NCC-1701? NCC-1701D?

Last edited:
Oh, Lordy.

They finally gave up and said since the two ships existed in totally different time periods, there would be no way to ever find out.

Last edited:

LOL. The book is better than the movie. Far more obvious that it's satire of an entire generation since Forrest is much more developmentally stunted in the book than Hanks' character in the movie. There's also a lot more picking on the American South and its fascination with football in the beginning of the story too. Forrest is beyond illiterate and dirt poor but gets a college diploma via the "pass all athletes" mentality, and that's obviously the writer's focus in the book.

It gets turned into being more about funny football plays and the "Run, Forrest, Run!" line is pushed up to the highest priority in Hollywood's version.

Great read.

Yeah, and I was right all along. The Enterprise could have rained flaming death on an Imperial Battle Cruiser, but that other retard just couldn't see it.

That reminds me: In Star Trek: Voyager, they initially figure it will take them 70 years or so to get across the galaxy at maximum warp, but is anyone aware of any science fiction that deals with travel from one galaxy to another? It seems like that would be an interesting concept to explore, and there are so many of them.

56532main_MM_image_feature_142_jw4.jpg

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegallery/image_feature_142.html

The Alderson Drive allows for jumps between 'star systems', but I can't remember if that actually means intergalactic travel. I'll have to go back to the books.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alderson_drive

That reminds me: In Star Trek: Voyager, they initially figure it will take them 70 years or so to get across the galaxy at maximum warp, but is anyone aware of any science fiction that deals with travel from one galaxy to another? It seems like that would be an interesting concept to explore, and there are so many of them.

Stargate Atlantis and Stargate Universe

56532main_MM_image_feature_142_jw4.jpg

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegallery/image_feature_142.html

It would be, but would require bending space time around to meet you, not traveling over it.

It sounds like a boring movie concept actually. All the explorers on the ship would be sitting around playing a game of monopoly that's been running for 87,436 years and they're only part way across the empty area.
I guess there could be some kind of interesting plot on how the crew handles paying up when there are 74,273,528 hotels on Boardwalk...owie.

And when they finally get to the Virgo Supercluster, all the aliens will be human shaped and speaking english. :nono:

It sounds like a boring movie concept actually. All the explorers on the ship would be sitting around playing a game of monopoly that's been running for 87,436 years and they're only part way across the empty area.
I guess there could be some kind of interesting plot on how the crew handles paying up when there are 74,273,528 hotels on Boardwalk...owie.

And when they finally get to the Virgo Supercluster, all the aliens will be human shaped and speaking english. :nono:

I always thought a more "realistic" episode would go something like this:
Kirk - "So Spock, what do you want to do today?"
Spock - "I dunno. What do YOU want to do?"
Kirk - "I dunno. I thought you might have some ideas."
Chekov - "I have an idea!"
Kirk - "Shut up and drive. Jeez."

Kirk - "So Spock, what do you want to do today?"
Spock - "I dunno. What do YOU want to do?"
Kirk - "I dunno. I thought you might have some ideas."
Chekov - "I have an idea!"
Kirk - "Shut up and drive. Jeez."

I have never heard the most common question in humanity on those shows, I guess in the future, they don't have lunch.

I have never heard the most common question in humanity on those shows, I guess in the future, they don't have lunch.

They apparently don't have bathrooms, either.

--

Interior shot: Empty stateroom, a door on the back wall slides open. Kirk walks through the door into the room, tucking in his shirt.

Kirk: "Now THAT was a photon torpedo!"

If you want realistic, have a show of people sitting around watching tv shows while a light year counter display sits above the tv screen not changing for years at a time.

Wow.

The Feds can't fund FAA properly, nor NASA, but DARPA still gets Florida boondoggles and $0.5M to toss at someone to study this.

I'm so glad the one kid has plans for a Japanese garden behind the research center though!

He shows great promise as a future waste of tax money. He'll go far. ;)

Wow.

The Feds can't fund FAA properly, nor NASA, but DARPA still gets Florida boondoggles and $0.5M to toss at someone to study this.

I'm so glad the one kid has plans for a Japanese garden behind the research center though!

This kind of stuff is actually OK, it's really more of seed money to get people thinking than a sponsored program. The answer to the study though with present knowledge of physics and engineering is "Unfeasible". The costs and time involved for the minimal benefit received.... I bet it's more of a study in "What will it take to sustain populations off the planet?" which even through extensive experiments, we haven't managed to quite answer.

This kind of stuff is actually OK, it's really more of seed money to get people thinking than a sponsored program. The answer to the study though with present knowledge of physics and engineering is "Unfeasible". The costs and time involved for the minimal benefit received.... I bet it's more of a study in "What will it take to sustain populations off the planet?" which even through extensive experiments, we haven't managed to quite answer.

Speaking of present knowledge of physics, I was thinking the other day about the fact that we don't know for sure what holds galaxies together, or why the expansion of the universe is accelerating. I find it kind of exciting that the known laws of physics aren't as "known" as I previously thought.

Wow.

That just goes to show you how bloated the DoD budget really is.

Back