Apnea Revisited

U

Unregistered

Ok, last night I had a sleep study done and wound up on a CPAP after a few hours. (split study)

The tech wasn't allowed to give me details but the fact I was put on the machine says I'll be diagnosed with sleep apnea. I don't know what level yet. I've never had a problem falling asleep at the wrong time (driving cars, flying planes etc.) Just seemed to be tired a lot. I would nap from time to time
but they were always "planned". (I'm gonna go lay down for a bit or wake me up when the games almost over).

So lacking the final diagnosis, should I self ground? The tech did say the CPAP got me some good sleep, so there seems to be hope. I've just never fallen asleep flying (even at 2 am on a long cross country). So to me the potential is nil. Of course I'm sure the regs say different. :(

So what should my next step be? Talk to my AME and stay on the ground?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be more concerned about getting the special, quickly. You need an AME who has done this sort of issuance before. You need the letter from the doc who ordered your Sleep study: good compliance, with CPAP, no tendancy to fall asleep, good control of symptoms. The AME needs to fax the documents to under the eyes of the RFS who can then give the AME the go to issue.

The period of time in between starting CPAP and issuance- is whatever the doc thinks is needed to be able to make that statement. :)

You might consider adding a MWT (maintenance of wakefulness test) to the documentation when you are under control and getting a good nights sleep. An MWT is sort of the gold-standard that yes, your sleep issues are under control.

I've been on CPAP for many years, since the early days before it was a well-known problem. You might feel *worse* for a couple of weeks once you start CPAP. You've probably been going a long time without restful sleep and once you start sleeping the night all the way through, you'll likely feel groggy and out of sorts for a while. I know I did. So give yourself some time after starting CPAP before you go for one.

But man, what a difference in energy level and overall health. I'm sure sleep apnea is what tore up my dad's heart and eventually killed him.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back