Apex NC explodes again

HPNFlyGirl

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iBrookieMonster
2 weeks ago my friend lost her house (she lived in Apex) during an explosion. Well last night a chemical plant in Apex exploded. Everyone near downtown has been evacuated, the schools are all closed, and inbound and outbound planes are being diverted by a 5 mile radius of the downtown Apex area. Anyone in the area please LEAVE!!!!! Save yourselves.

www.wral.com

Hope you and the other folks in the Raleigh area (Mark, Agatha, Tom, anyone else?) are safe!

wsuffa said:
Hope you and the other folks in the Raleigh area (Mark, Agatha, Tom, anyone else?) are safe!
Well, it's not quite so dire as that, right now. They're saying that if you are in the large evacuation area, and haven't evacuated (but rather just stayed inside), DON'T evacuate now. Just keep on staying inside the house with the A/C and heating turned off. And they aren't seeing much going on toxicity-wise right now, though there certainly was last night when I was watching the news between 11:30 and 1am. Last night there were upwards of thirty explosions, a cloud of chlorine gas, billowing black smoke of unknown (but fully expected) toxicity.

A real mess. Luckily for Maria and I, we're about 20 miles away and the wind has been kind. And the rain. (of course, now we'll be dealing with ground water issues, after the rain scrubbed the air clean - it has to go somewhere, right?) I've got a lot of flying friends in the Apex area - that's where my EAA chapter is, so I've got my fingers crossed tightly. Thanks!

Back