aortic valve replacement

M

Manny Borrero

Hello: I have the basicmed certificate and had an aortic valve replacement 5 mo. ago, December 19th, 2023. I am confuse with all the different info about what to do to get back in the cockpit. Any advise on this? This is my first time posting in here. Thanks for any help. Manny

Either take the chance on a special issuance class III, which will take nearly a year and isn't guaranteed, and go back to basicmed when the class III expires, or do nothing and fly LSA as a sport pilot.

From personal experience.

It's totally doable for all classes.

You need to wait until 6 months have passed before you can test. (IE June 20, 2024)

Things you will need

1. Maximal Stress Test
2. Echo
3. 24 Hour Holter
4. All your hospital records, statements, etc (PDF's should be fine)

Did they do just the valve? or the Arotic Root as well? I am told the FAA is less keen on the trans catheter procedure.

None of the test are terribly expensive.

Have a AME with experience in this specific area put the "package" together for the FAA.

The hardest part is the waiting for the response from the FAA.

Sounds like you had one if the following conditions.

Medical Conditions Requiring One Special Issuance Before Operating under BasicMed
….
A cardiovascular condition, limited to a one-time special issuance for each diagnosis of the following:
Myocardial infarction;
Coronary heart disease that has required treatment;
Cardiac valve replacement; or
Heart replacement.

One time Class 3 SI appears to be required.

May not be too difficult; appears you may want a 6month recovery period before applying.

From personal experience.

It's totally doable for all classes.

You need to wait until 6 months have passed before you can test. (IE June 20, 2024)

Things you will need

1. Maximal Stress Test
2. Echo
3. 24 Hour Holter
4. All your hospital records, statements, etc (PDF's should be fine)

Did they do just the valve? or the Arotic Root as well? I am told the FAA is less keen on the trans catheter procedure.

None of the test are terribly expensive.

Have a AME with experience in this specific area put the "package" together for the FAA.

The hardest part is the waiting for the response from the FAA.
Bus Captain pretty much has got it.

add to that: record of the pre-surgery heart cath. Operative note, admission note discharge summary.
Cardiology Doc's office visit eval at >6 months from date of replacement.

Back