AOPA's new Fact Card

HPNPilot1200

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jason
I found the statistics in the new AOPA Fact Card to be quite interesting and thought'd share it with you all in case you didn't receive the link or see the AOPA site recently.

AOPA said:
Ever wondered what the busiest airports are in the United States? Atlanta, Chicago O'Hare, Dallas-Fort Worth, Los Angeles, and Las Vegas/McCarran top the list.

OK, so of the 10 busiest airports, how much does GA contribute to the traffic count?

About 4.5 percent — so much for the airlines' claim that general aviation is "using" more than it's "paying for."

That's just one of the interesting things you can learn from AOPA's 2006 Aviation Fact Card. It's just been updated and posted on our Web site for you to use to amaze and astound your friends.

How many GA aircraft are in the United States?
There are 219,780 general aviation aircraft, 66 percent of them piston-engine singles.

And GA carries 17 percent of air travelers — more than 640 million passengers a year — but uses only six percent of the fuel consumed for aviation.

The card is in a handy PDF format, so you can print it out for those times when you need a GA stat at your fingertips.
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]April 19, 2006[/SIZE][/FONT]

HPNPilot1200 said:
I found the statistics in the new AOPA Fact Card to be quite interesting and thought'd share it with you all in case you didn't receive the link or see the AOPA site recently.

THe fun thing about statistics is that they can be used to justify your point...

I can see the airlines using some of these numbers to make their case.

My favorite is the one where "we" carry 17% of passengers, but only use 6% of the fuel.

--Matt

The rogue said:
My favorite is the one where "we" carry 17% of passengers, but only use 6% of the fuel.

That one jumped out at me as one that could be used against us. That also means we only pay 6% of the fuel taxes...

Of course, the airlines aren't paying fuel taxes anyway, so... :dunno:

I read, somewhere, that every turn in hold a Transport category airplane does costs about $10 per seat. I think it was in a document used to justify building the new runway at Logan...

Cheers,

-Andrew

flyingcheesehead said:
That one jumped out at me as one that could be used against us. That also means we only pay 6% of the fuel taxes...

Of course, the airlines aren't paying fuel taxes anyway, so... :dunno:

That one stuck out at me too. I think it could be turned on us to say we pay 11% less for our ATC services than everyone else.

Back