AOPA's goofy claims about R/STOL

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
AOPA ran out of time to put the Robertson STOL kit on their "Crossover Classic" sweepstakes aircraft. I have no problem with that.

What I do have a problem with is their other comment that R/STOL "uses aerodynamic devices of varying complexities" to accomplish the job. Makes it sound like it's some crazy combination of devices.

Last time I looked, all the R/STOL on my Cessna 182 did was add the bellcranks to interconnect the ailerons with the flaps, and droop the ailerons. There's also two stall fences on top of the wing.

I wouldn't put that under "complex aerodynamic devices" in my head. My iPad is thousands of orders of magnitude more "complex" than that.

It feels like the author was just digging for more excuses than just saying, "We don't have time," to me.

My iPad is thousands of orders of magnitude more "complex" than that.

OK, the grammar thread is elsewhere, and I acknowledge that the iPad is a wonder of complexity, but thousands of orders of magnitude...

So your iPad is 102000 (1 with 2,000 zeros after it) times more complex?

Yes. I'm counting each transistor. ;)

So...

With 32nm gates (Current Intel i7), that means you can fit (aggressively) 1015 transistors per m2.

So, you're theoretical iPat would be 101985m2. That 6.67 * 101973 times the land areas of the Earth.:hairraise:

So...

With 32nm gates (Current Intel i7), that means you can fit (aggressively) 1015 transistors per m2.

So, you're theoretical iPat would be 101985m2. That 6.67 * 101973 times the land areas of the Earth.:hairraise:

Those Apple guys never cease to amaze me!

OK, the grammar thread is elsewhere, and I acknowledge that the iPad is a wonder of complexity, but thousands of orders of magnitude...

So your iPad is 10^2000 (1 with 2,000 zeros after it) times more complex?

I'd vote for the 1000s of times and not the exponential version. Or, if you do prefer the thousands of times, then n * 10^3 where n is some arbitrary number.

I don't think you'd get to 10^2000 if you counted all the atoms.

Well, the mass of an iPad is 680g...

So to keep it simple, that would give us 674.62 mol of protons and neutrons, or 4.06 * 1026 nuclear particles. Each proton and neutron consists of 3 quarks, so now we're at 1.2 * 1027. Add in about half the number of protons/neutrons for electrons, and you get 1.4*1027 elementary particles in an iPad.

You would need 8.3 * 101972 iPads to have 102000 elementary particles.

Back